Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Should weather affect how you play?

I have played a few games with rain or snow effects, and mainly it was just shown not much else. But after watching the star citizen report, they have it where it will affect what you do in-game. From having windows frost over, to if you're wearing the wrong outfit you take damage or even die.

I know we will see, if they have not changed their minds, the weather in seasons changing the environments. But I am talking about if you're out in the middle of a snowy area, you have to dress the part, or even if you in a hot zone, you can't be overdressed. maybe you take a hit on your stats, or your health is lower if your not dressed in the proper clothes.

Just adds a little extra to a game, if you have to watch out how you dress, and what you can or can not do when the weather is good or bad. How do you guys feel about this?

Comments

• VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really don’t think they’ll go the route where your gear affects you in the ways you described since that would give the game more of a survival feel and I think I remember them saying they won’t take it that far. But I could be wrong.

However, I think I remember them saying that your abilities will probably be affected by the weather/environment.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes is not a survival game.
    AFAIK, there are no plans for weather to affect character stats, but weather may affect ability stats.
  • vmangman wrote: »
    I really don’t think they’ll go the route where your gear affects you in the ways you described since that would give the game more of a survival feel and I think I remember them saying they won’t take it that far. But I could be wrong.

However, I think I remember them saying that your abilities will probably be affected by the weather/environment.

That's still ok in my book. If the weather will change, it should affect us in some manner I am thinking.
    granthor wrote: »
    vmangman wrote: »

That's still ok in my book. If the weather will change, it should affect us in some manner I am thinking.

Ok then! I’m pretty they’ve confirmed that abilities will be affected by weather and/or environment.
  • KaselKasel Member, Founder

Ok then! I’m pretty they’ve confirmed that abilities will be affected by weather and/or environment.

Really? Holy hell that would be amazing, like reduced Fire Damage if it rains etc?
    Kasel wrote: »
    Really? Holy hell that would be amazing, like reduced Fire Damage if it rains etc?

Yea it would be really cool if they make it work.

Here’s the link where they discuss it. The portion on abilities is towards the end, but if it interests you you should check out the whole thing.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Climate

@Kasel
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I believed it was implied that seasons and weather would affect resources, and landscapes. For example: lakes and streams would freeze over and be traversable by caravans; certain produce can only be grown during certain seasons.
    Though gear may not have any effect for protecting you in diverse weather; I love the idea of having appearance gear that fits the enviroment.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If they used the same idea as divinity original sin that could be interesting
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    I think the idea of arrows, fire spells, etc being harder to use in rain would be interesting.
  • Nagash wrote: »

On a different topic, have you been over to the CC lately? I dropped my last parts.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2019
    I think elemental combos would be awesome.
    Example:
    Use a fire aoe, then send wind magic through it -> increases the size and damage of the aoe
    Use water magic on one, then use electricity to stun him or deal damage over time additionally

Could be easily combined with weather effects.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

God i love those games hahah
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

On a different topic, have you been over to the CC lately? I dropped my last parts.

only just came home from holiday so I will have to give it a look
    Ventharien wrote: »

God i love those games hahah

they really are ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have D:OS2 and it is amazing.

I need to go play that again.

Hhak63P.png
  • No, it's not a survival game, it would be tedious, but frost effects etc on environment and armor it would a very nice touch.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    For sure we should have frosty breath.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• Damokles wrote: »
    Example:
    Use a fire aoe, then send wind magic through it -> increases the size and damage of the aoe
    Use water magic on one, then use electricity to stun him or deal damage over time additionally

Sounds like a battle royale game that's being developed right now. Spellbreak is the name if I remember correctly.
    Forgive and you will free yourself. Peace be with you all.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damokles wrote: »
    Example:

Sounds like a battle royale game that's being developed right now. Spellbreak is the name if I remember correctly.

It ws also used to some degree in GW2. ;)
    a6XEiIf.gif