Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Node deleveling instead of destruction

Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
What do you think of instead of being totally destroyed (down to level 0), nodes just go to Expedition or Encampment showing that there are still a few people left, but the rest has been destroyed.
We don't want the zone to stay at level 3 or above as those levels still have lots of NPC services.

Or even have the zone drop to a special alternate Encampment which shows some ruins that indicate this was once a greater area. Instead of regular tents for the NPCs, have a small fortified area to protect what is left.
The quests that are given then are more geared towards rebuild than exploration. They could even turn some of the stone or wood that was destroyed into resources to harvest. Maybe metal deposits to indicate dropped weapons.

Any other good ideas on what could happen after a successful siege?

Comments

• Given it only takes a few hours, or a couple days to reach those levels (as per the info given on node progression a ways back), that wouldn’t be necessary. Plus the point of destroying a node is to give another node the chance to advance further than it was able to previously so those nodes need that bit of time to hop those last hurdles into final stages.

Being able to scavenge from the old node sounds alright though, at least whatever the sieging side didn’t already loot.
  • AzathothAzathoth Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like the thought of seeing ruined architecture from the previous city/whatever. Skinning it with node type and last majority racial type should be enough to make most look different.
    57597603_387667588743769_477625458809110528_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-1.xx&oh=16e82247154b84484b7f627c0ac76fca&oe=5D448BDD
    +1 Skull & Crown metal coin
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I personally think node destruction for a metropolis that loses a siege would be amazing.

Maybe have it so that if a metropolis loses a siege, they go in to a state where they are one node tier lower, but with the provision that if they lose another siege within the next 6 weeks (they should be immune for about 4 of those weeks), the node is destroyed, left as a ruin and unable to gain experience (and thus unable to be leveled up again) for a further 6 weeks.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2019
    Destruction would add some real urgency for the defender in my opinion. No one cares if a node looses a few level, but destruction?
    Lets think of a scenario here:
    A strong military or religious node presses the advance and begins destroying nodes around them, forcing their way deeper and deeper into your own territory.
    1. They would actually take atrition way easier through the destruction method, adding another layer of complexity.
    Think about it, the respawned troops cant fast travel and even if they ride on mounts that could take some time, if they had to travel from their home node, while the defenders can instead spawn in their own metro or the nearest node.
    2. People will band together way faster if they had to face destruction. Deleveling a node would not be really worrysome.... anoying? Yes. End of the world? No. But destruction? I can imagine different nodes band together to repell the invaders and retake the lost nodes.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    Caeryl wrote: »
    Given it only takes a few hours, or a couple days to reach those levels (as per the info given on node progression a ways back), that wouldn’t be necessary. Plus the point of destroying a node is to give another node the chance to advance further than it was able to previously so those nodes need that bit of time to hop those last hurdles into final stages.

Being able to scavenge from the old node sounds alright though, at least whatever the sieging side didn’t already loot.

Based on the fact that lower level nodes are vassals of level 3 and up, as soon as you delevel to 1, you would automatically become the vassal of another node (that was my point of not deleveling to 3 or higher). At which point you would not be able to outlevel the nodes nearest you.

The chances of there still being a level 0 node by the time a siege happens is very low. But maybe that is what IS is thinking of when they say destroy to level 0...
  • nefelianefelia Member, Intrepid Pack
    The total destruction of a node is rather extreme. It is more in line with Genghis Khan's pointless brutality, or Rome's vengeful obliteration of Carthage, than with the more common sacking and looting of rival powers seen throughout most of human history.

Losing a node level is a pretty big deal when a node is a city or metropolis. Recovering that loss would take several weeks, which would be more than enough time for competent rivals to beat them to metropolis level (and thereby blocking further progress for the sacked city).

Of course, the siege/sacking mechanics could always be made a bit more complex, and allow for the further reduction of the nodes level if the attacking force accomplishes 'x' tasks in 'y' amount of time. Even a defeated defense would need to rally hard to mitigate their losses after a successful assault.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    if your node is better than mine you bet your soul im going to burn it to the ground and dance on the ashes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    My node will always be better than yours. :)

But I won't say that to your face as I don't want it burned to the ground. The dancing on the ashes I wouldn't mind seeing though. I will wait and watch you dance on the node of someone else.
    My node will always be better than yours. :)

But I won't say that to your face as I don't want it burned to the ground. The dancing on the ashes I wouldn't mind seeing though. I will wait and watch you dance on the node of someone else.

giphy.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Total destruction to Stage 0 makes it easier to change the racial make up of that Node. Also makes it easier for neighboring Nodes to take prominence.
    The latter will cause greater change in the world and story - which is probably why the devs are wanting total destruction, rather than just deleveling.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Going to 0 makes the entire system work a lot easier, since you don't have to worry about the node dropping to a level where it would be locked out from existing.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Options are always good.

While it would be a feature added as the game matures it would be interesting to have the option to either overthrow the current government with mild/no destruction or to let loose the hound of war and have your army totally raze it to the ground. Or even some variable level in between based upon how well trained and disciplined the attacking troops are.

The first option would require some mechanic of spying and subterfuge that would sow discontent among the local population. This would be countered by a "Intelligence Service" mechanic that can be employed to root out spies and "tamp down" dissidents.

But for initial release will support node destruction until more options can be implemented.
    owuEH4S.png
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2019
    Overthrowing a Node keeps the world itself at too much of a status quo.
    Destroying the Node allows other Nodes to grow in prominence and cause significant changes to mob populations across the world, which will also trigger new quests.
  • Deleveling was the initial proposal, they moved away from it. Now it's total destruction with ruins left behind for a successfull siege or a node that's left in shambles with npc services disabled depending on what got destroyed.
    I think it's a good in between
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • And don't forget that a metropolis once destroyed will be in a place surround by lvl 4 and 5 nodes so can at least be back a stage 3 without trouble.
    Burn baby burn!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Feel the burn? But then you are cauterized down to the bones...
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah I like the idea of total destruction.

Otherwise you might end up with a constant, drawn-out series of conflicts where the node is repeatedly attacked until it goes down to 0. Forget that, just get it over with immediately.

Hhak63P.png
  • nibiru97nibiru97 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'd like to see ruins last for a lot longer than a few hours. The ruins don't need to be massive either, just enough to tell that there was once a civilization there.

As for total destruction, I think the alphas will help determine if it feels right. If they wanted to go back to a deleveling system, maybe they could have multiple objectives. If the siege completes 1 objective maybe it delevels to the node level that works within the system. If all objectives are met, the node is completely destroyed.

thats why I use fire to wipe out cities only the bones are left
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Nagash wrote: »

Bones get brittle after they ciome into prolonged contact with fire. I dont fear an army of brittle bone skelletons.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Bones get brittle after they ciome into prolonged contact with fire. I dont fear an army of brittle bone skelletons.

bale fire is a wonderful thing ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

I like the deleveling based on objectives. Win and it goes boom down to zero. Fail but destroy a major objective, zone delevels by 1. That would be a more dynamic system. I hope.
    That would also give the survivors something to rebuild before being able to level the zone again.

As for brittle bones, just plate them in steel and then you will fear them!
    I like the deleveling based on objectives. Win and it goes boom down to zero. Fail but destroy a major objective, zone delevels by 1. That would be a more dynamic system. I hope.
    That would also give the survivors something to rebuild before being able to level the zone again.

That sounds awesome actually! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Yeah I like this. Total destruction is still possible but the amount of destruction is based on the results of the battle. That’s a good compromise. It might be more difficult to implement though, it’s definitely more complicated. But I like it.

Hhak63P.png

That's a fantastic idea
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    Nah! make bone china out of those bones. :p Give the artisans something to do.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

T Elf wrote: »
    Nah! make bone china out of those bones. :p Give the artisans something to do.

the tithe must be met

tithe-of-bones-2.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Nagash wrote: »
    if your node is better than mine you bet your soul im going to burn it to the ground and dance on the ashes

Raze the city and raise it to the ground. Make Domri Rade proud. Oh wait hes dead. Well at least our resident necromancer can bring him back ;)
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • Imagine a full raid team of necromancer having the opportunity to rise a necropolis from ruins of a metropolis!