Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #13 - Share Your Gaming Obsession

13»

Comments

• HjerimHjerim Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    edited January 2020
    can't delete comment.
  • I am not currently playing any active MMORPGs, though I am testing one-Crowfall. I didn't start playing computer games until I was in my early 30s back around 2001, when my roommates got me into Age of Empires. That was really fun for a while, then I played my first RPG: The Elder Scrolls-Morrowind, and I LOVED it. I loved the progression and storytelling in that game.

The first MMORPG I purchased was Shadowbane(which I didn't even know was MMO, I thought it was just RPG!) :smiley: I was in for a very rude awakening, because that was FFA PVP. I actually really loved the community and guild experience, and the opportunity to build and run my own city/guild! It had a lot of problems, but my favorite experiences in an MMORPG are from SB-the banes and sieges, the open world pvp battles, the city building-are definitely my fondest memories.

I played WoW for about 10 years, from a few months after it launched through WoD. The progression and pvp battles zones and guild raiding kept me coming back. I played more and more solo though as the years went on though, so it wasn't as enjoyable at the end.

I have sporadically tried SWTOR, then ESO(which I did like) and I tried AAU Unchained recently, but I am awaiting Crowfall and AoC as I feel they will most likely bring back the elements I enjoyed the most from Shadowbane. Fun pvp, sieges, crafting, gathering and city(or node) building.
  • consultantconsultant Member
    edited January 2020
    Forgot to mention that League of Legends a also have mecha skins like mecha godzilla pretty cool. Would also like to add that I made some archived post about spell animations about casting spells but Aurelions Sol Tuants. perfectly expresses what I was trying to say Well right now.....

Aurelion Sol is free to play so if you get the game Push play icon then select training then select practice tool and pick Arelion Sol. Ounce in game pratice mode just push control 1 and control2 and control3 and This are actually taunts but this is a real live example of how | would like spell animations to be. Also game is free to play now.

LoL is MOBA has old engine this are tuants notspell effects, and IS is using unreal engine 4 so......How is implosion going to look when the game comes out.

I know I have posted a lot about League of Legends and still have more good things to say like they come out with Qaulity of Life patches all the time since I been playing they have updated minions several champions, banners, changed the map a little shows they care about their game and take pride in their work. And at the same time coming out with new game modes so that is not all that they do. Been playing about 6 months.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around How Riot does a lot ot things better than MMOs and it is a MOBA!!!!!

There are a few things about the game I do not like such as no wasd movement and no camera angle options but those are design choices not mistakes. Only design mistake I see is hp bars over lap so if my hp bar is over enemy hp bar cannot tell how much hp enemy has and found two bugs. Graphical Unit Inerface options in this game are very very bad in my opinion especially as big as it is. Targeting system while godo and practical. Could use a cosmetic face lift have the pointers match the spell effect. And few little other things not worth metioning.

Plus still have more good things to say about the game And basically bad things to say in one paragraph.

• Actually have more goodthing to say about League of Legends but going to do on another thread.
  • Dying. Not feeling like shit when you die, but don't get it confused with losing items. I love the risky feel that RuneScape presents when you pvp with expensive items, but even so...you don't feel like you're shit when you die.

Enjoying the game after your done. A player should never have a feeling like he's done. There should constantly be an adventure. If you don't have the resources to program and design these new continuing adventures then make sure that guilds are equipped with the tools they need to set up their own events. Let the players handle some of this for you.

Post completion, players don't stay for the game, they stay for the community. The goofy innocent moments we have, playing with our friends is why we continue to play the game.

Polished. A game should feel like butter when your pvping. Responsive to your key presses and not limited to timers but limited by the ability of the player. The game should not limit the player.
  • I think that my first MMO was Asheron's call (showing my age a bit, ahem). ;)

The one I spent, by far, the most time on and came back to several times is EQ2.

I love that you can group and raid but also enjoy the game solo ( it's a REAL pain playing a game in which you can't do anything by yourself).
    I love that the game is fun both to casual and more hardcore players.
    I love the fluff (appearance items, pets and co).
    I love the housing, craft, PVE, seasonnal events and lore. I've spent days decorating houses (I even got paid for doing it for guilds and players houses).
  • nykznykz Member
    As of right now I'm not really playing anything, but what kept me coming back to WoW is pretty simple.

Time.
    All the time I spend playing this game and all the awesome things I've experienced and archived over the years made me come back so many times. Running some of the new raids, following some of the lore, coming back for the next arena title... just flying through the world, every location giving me throwbacks to stuff I've done there at one point.

This may sound like a weird comparison but I've been in Canada once (I'm from EU so its pretty special for me there) I obviously taken pictures. When I was there my life was amazing, I had no IRL concerns or anything.

Watching these pictures gives me the same feels then watching through my 3500 WoW screenshots. No worrys. Beeing happy. Just playing WoW 24/7.
  • Potato BasketPotato Basket Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @nykz why do you keep bumping old discussions ?

You'd better make a new one of your own
  • nykznykz Member
    ninfosho wrote: »
    @nykz why do you keep bumping old discussions ?

You'd better make a new one of your own

Cuz I figured Toast may still pay some attention to these dev discussions.
    I sure will make some new ones, but only if I consider them relevant.
  • Anthem. I love the graphics, story arcs, and choices in play styles based on javelins, abilities and weapons. I look forward to the new content they've highlighted.
  • During my 24 years of online gaming, I drop out high school TWICE and college once for games.

This is no longer gaming obsession, it is an addiction.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    UO for many years
    EQ for many years
    WOW for many years
    RO for many years
    Planetside 1 & 2 for many years
    Many random eastern MMOs for many years
    Gunbound and Rakion for 1-2 years
    Smite for 5 years
    Private Server WoW for 3-4 years
    Classic Wow
    Currently back on Smite and dabbling with ARK waiting for cyberpunk
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • MTGA and the odd single/co-op player game

What keeps me going back?? All MMO's on the market suck. So nothing worth playing.
  • I currently went back to WOW. I tried going back to some others to calm my MMORPG itch but none were able to do it. I even went back to my first love LOTRO. Sadly for the past year they have had character transfers down. So my old toons are currently lost due to server shut downs and no server transfers.

I always tend to go back to Smite. I like the 3rd person POV since I do come from an MMO background.
    a34ad54277341e048554a1bf88ee6284.jpg

Heroes Fade but Legends last forever