Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes

Comments

• Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nick10281 wrote: »
    A better necromancer than @Nagash

Not possible.
  • Hiya folks - thanks again for joining in on another Dev Discussion! We're gathering up all your feedback now to share with our team, but in the meantime feel free to keep posting your thoughts here :blush:

See ya for our next Dev Discussion topic! <3
    community_management.gif
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Hiya folks - thanks again for joining in on another Dev Discussion! We're gathering up all your feedback now to share with our team, but in the meantime feel free to keep posting your thoughts here :blush:

See ya for our next Dev Discussion topic! <3

Keep em coming
  • My idea class would be a "Paladruid". I love paladins and druids in WoW. I was surprised to see that AoC didn't have a druid class. I imagine protector might be simialr to that.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In any MMO I've played, i love tanking too much to go seriously into any other class. Especially when i can make a life steal tank that just wont die, even if it might not put up much damage. Throw in aoes and debuffs or buffs and i'm in heaven :)
  • Well, I’m sort of torn. On the one hand, my preferred power fantasy is a stealth-focused saboteur. Someone who works from the safety of the shadows and wreaks havoc without ever being spotted. A poisoner, a trap maker, an influencer of the mind. Someone who can turn enemies against each other or sneak in to debilitate a mage in the backline with a Silence trap.

In practice, partially due to that first power fantasy being thusfar unobtainable in most multiplayer games, I enjoy a Bard-like healing playstyle, with a focus on buffs and a rythmic sort of buff-heal rotation.

Another healing playstyle I’m fond of is damage-debuff style, a Reverse Bard of sorts. A Rogue/Cleric, someone who gets into the fight and brings curses and lifesteal to the group, I enjoy this as a more aggressive semi-HoT healing style. Paired well with the stronger direct healing from a Cleric/Bard style.
  • DarakrisDarakris Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2020
    Since I played online ragnarok I have always liked swordsmen. From there I played lineage and I began to like those who wield double sword. Then with the passage of time in other games, the characters who dodge and have great mobility.
    From what I can say that my favorite character is a full dps that wields 2 swords, with virtually no defense, but with great mobility and skills that allow with the right expertice and timinig to dodge enemy attacks.
  • I love being a tank holding myself against multiple enemies but having some of my own heals to help alleviate pressure from the healer trying to keep everyone else alive. Gonna try being a paladin Tank/cleric, hopefully this will be a fun class on AOC.
  • VunakVunak Member
    edited February 2020
    Mage/Sorcerer has always been my favorite class archetypes. Sorcerer from TERA was my favorite, back when the game came out. Teleporting around and dropping massive destructive spells.

What drew me to enjoy Sorcerer in TERA so much was the ability to utilize every spell in my repertoire. It had amazing mixtures of fast spells (magma bomb, flame pillar, Ice Needle, Flame Barrage) with slow cast and/or travel time spells (Arcane Pulse, Void Pulse, Fireblast). It had a lot of CC spells to setup the huge destructive spells. It was an easy class to play but a very difficult class to master. So much so that even veteran Sorcerers couldn't pull off combos from the top 1% of Sorcerers even being taught the combos one spell at a time.

The destructive force of the spell should match the cast or travel time of the spell. Nothing more annoying or frustrating than using a spell that has to be uniquely setup with CC and things only to have it hit like a wet noodle. This eventually happened to the Sorcerer in TERA with their Fireblast (now Meteor Strike) skill. It is the longest animating skill in the game but it hits like a wet noodle in comparison to the other DPS classes.

Final Fantasy XI had a very interesting mage with a massive spell list to choose from and had group casting with the spell Meteor. It was a ton of fun to setup and use in a party of Black Mages.

TL;DR

High Burst Damage Sorcerer/Mage with flashy spells and destructive power to match. Large AoE spells that take awhile and are difficult to setup, but when you do the payoff is very rewarding.

tenor.gif?itemid=7559841
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vunak wrote: »
    Mage/Sorcerer has always been my favorite class archetypes. Sorcerer from TERA was my favorite, back when the game came out. Teleporting around and dropping massive destructive spells.

What drew me to enjoy Sorcerer in TERA so much was the ability to utilize every spell in my repertoire. It had amazing mixtures of fast spells (magma bomb, flame pillar, Ice Needle, Flame Barrage) with slow cast and/or travel time spells (Arcane Pulse, Void Pulse, Fireblast). It had a lot of CC spells to setup the huge destructive spells. It was an easy class to play but a very difficult class to master. So much so that even veteran Sorcerers couldn't pull off combos from the top 1% of Sorcerers even being taught the combos one spell at a time.

The destructive force of the spell should match the cast or travel time of the spell. Nothing more annoying or frustrating than using a spell that has to be uniquely setup with CC and things only to have it hit like a wet noodle. This eventually happened to the Sorcerer in TERA with their Fireblast (now Meteor Strike) skill. It is the longest animating skill in the game but it hits like a wet noodle in comparison to the other DPS classes.

Final Fantasy XI had a very interesting mage with a massive spell list to choose from and had group casting with the spell Meteor. It was a ton of fun to setup and use in a party of Black Mages.

TL;DR

High Burst Damage Sorcerer/Mage with flashy spells and destructive power to match. Large AoE spells that take awhile and are difficult to setup, but when you do the payoff is very rewarding.

tenor.gif?itemid=7559841

EXPLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNN!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • ScootsScoots Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My favorite class over the years has probably been Healer. (specifically, Seer in the early swtor days)
    I loved the responsibility of keeping the team alive. Those really tough battles...where if you hadn't gotten that last heal in, the tank would have died and the party would have wiped. Those are the moments that make MMO's fantastic for me.

As for healing abilities, having a selection of huge long-cast single-target spells, large AoE spells, quick-cast HoT spells, cleanse spells, and some form of quick short invulnerability.

Its nice to be able to contribute to DPS in raid scenarios as well. Knowing that you are never going to be top DPS by any means, but doing enough DPS to turn the tide in a raid boss fight can set a mediocre healer apart from a great one.

And then there's PvP. I really enjoy holding my own in PvP. The ability to do some decent range/aoe attacks, some DoTs, and also having some vitally important knock back and evasion spells all while dishing out heals to yourself and your party. I like being a deceptively tough target, who can often heal their way through all but the most focused and talented DPS.

Give me a class like that AoC, and I'll be a loyal player for years to come!
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 2020
    I have to say it depends on the game and how it's designed for choosing my main *I'm saying this because I'm an alt-coholic*

In EQ it was dwarf/pally
    DAoC firbog/pierce heroine ... Avalon/friar .... Norse/mage
    EQ2 erudite/wizard
    GW2 barbarian/fighter
    *I want to say here that in pre-game tests I chose the combo I thought I would NOT play first, so I wouldn't get tired of what I thought I actually wanted to play when the game launched and I fell in love with this combo and found that what I had planned to play was boring for me.* Just goes to show, you never can tell until you get hands on.
    I've played several other games, these are just the main ones I can remember well enough.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just to remind you all to recycle your dead
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

Probably gonna burn them until their bones turn to ash or something.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In Ashes I'm really looking forward to the Warlock class. I really love this class in D&D and Ashes is one of the only MMO's I know that has this class. Now I'm not saying it going to be at all similar to the D&D version but I'm excited nonetheless.
  • T ElfT Elf Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    mozsta69 wrote: »
    In Ashes I'm really looking forward to the Warlock class. I really love this class in D&D and Ashes is one of the only MMO's I know that has this class. Now I'm not saying it going to be at all similar to the D&D version but I'm excited nonetheless.

There is a Warlock class in EQ2.
    eZC6mjP.gif
    Formerly T-Elf

• I have always enjoyed when any MMO or RPG in general gives me the option to be a hardcore summoner. Something about a task-master like style of gameplay where the focus is more on controlling and supporting minions is just so addicting and enticing to me. An ideal class for me would be one where I could summon a large variety of creatures and possibly even get stronger creatures as I level up to summon. This is a playstyle I hope I will be able to experience with the Summoner/Summoner class, Conjurer.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Probably gonna burn them until their bones turn to ash or something.

Time to make some ghosts then ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    mozsta69 wrote: »

It depends on what kind of Warlock you play though. There is the melee Warlock in D&D that would rather be something like Battle Mage or Spell Sword. The typical D&D warlock that i know of was always something more like a support/ranged damage dealer that dominated their enemies through mind magic, devastating single target spells etc. The warlock in Ashes is a Mage/Summoner, so I would think that they will go down a demon summoner route like wow did.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I have several:

Venomancer from Perfect World > I was able to turn into a Fox, it was like a druid, gaining more armor based on what she had, so you could potentially have a caster in heavy armor. She also had a pet, which was great for pulling or annoying the enemies

Chanter from Aion > I love group buffing, putting up auras and giving boosts to speed when needed changing my auras. I didn't like the after-effect the auras had, because that mean that there was some sort of optimal rotation to keep all buffs up.

Healers > I prefer D&D healers. Healers with heavy armor, going into the fray! Being able to resist some blows, and not insta dying.

Also, there was a summoner class, it was a prestige class from D&D called "The Malconvoker", which was basically a summoner that would trick evil creatures into her servitude, despite her being of Neutral Alignment. It was always possible to fail this check, but rare. It was kinda fun having evil creatures do your bidding.
    I prefer active pet classes, where I summon something that's useful for a short time and aids me on my mission, instead of it being a permanent bonus to my toon.
  • oellioelli Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    My favourite classes in mmorpgs were always the ones with hots (heal over time spells). I love it how the managing of "passive" healing gives you the opportunity to do other active stuff in combat like attacking or moving the position.
    In addition to this i like the idea of shape shifting. My all time favourite Class is the Druid from World of Warcraft, because it combines the shapeshifting in other forms and the hot-healing gameplay. The shaman in World of Warcraft i liked too, but the shaman always had a lack of hots for me.
    In Archeage was the Cleric the class for me because of the hots + instant healing spells of vitalism and bardism.
    When im playing damage dealer i mostly enjoyed the Engineer of Guild Wars 2, because of the versatility with multiple tooolkits and the cool Skill design.

In Ashes of Creation:
    I think my first class compisition will be the Cleric + Summoner/Mage (Shaman/Oracle). I Imagine being a healer who can summon healing creatures (as a Shaman, where your healing spells summons additional creatures which have hots or offensive spells with damage creatures) or being able to shapeshift in some kind of elementary forms (as a Oracle, where your healing spells give you and your mates some kind of elementary buff + cool optics :smiley: ).
    Niküa Shaman will my first way to go i think :D.
  • The class I really loved to play was death knight in wow 3.3 pvp.
    You had the rune mechanics, tracking dots, managing pet and all kinds of minor things.
    I felt I had to think 10 steps ahead before pressing a button and yet had only a very short time for that decisionmaking.

After that the next class was musa in BDO before the awakenings came into play. I dont know if it was mechanics or the fantasy of being an honorable samurai.
    I felt archer in bdo was quite fun too but didnt play him that long because the grind in the game nowadays makes every class feel boring.
    "You're seeking for perfection, but your disillusions are leading to destruction.
    You're bleeding for salvation, but you can't see that you are the damnation itself." -Norther
  • favorite_and_ideal_classes.gif?h=250

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes
    What, so far, has been your favorite class to play across all MMOs? If you could play your ideal class, what would it be?

I have a few different classes that I've enjoyed across very different games that fulfilled several roles.

Tanking
    The Duel-Wielding warrior in Tera was my favorite. It showed that being a tank did not just mean being a meat shield surrounded with metal plates. Evasion and timing were necessary to fill the role effectively, and quite a bit more elegantly than the generic sword and board play-styles that largely available under that umbrella.

My favorite "DPS" classes have been:
    1)The Lahn from BDO for her high mobility and intense combo capabilities.
    2)The Conjurer from EQII for its variance in pet types that allowed the class to go from strictly burst damage to a support backfill role,
    3)The weaver specialization from Guild Wars 2, which combined melee combat with spell casting in the best and most enjoyable way I've ever experienced in an MMO in that the weapon was actually utilized as opposed to mostly just being a casting focus as with the Red Mage in FFXIV.
      Healers I enjoyed Tera's approach to healing as well, where the method of targeting actually involved moving the cursor to determine which party members would receive the benefits of some spells, while other spells were more area focused. My least favorite thing to do while healing is pressing "1-1-1-2-2-3-1-1-1" and so on. For such a vital role, it has to become the most tedious, at least for me.
  • zackalliczackallic Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Class: Healer
    AOC Class: Apostle (Cleric / Tank)

In any MMORPG i love to be a healer. To be the support class, micro managing your team to make sure they are staying alive, while focusing on yourself from being ganked or focused is a challenge but a fun rush. Never mess with your white mage lol

Best thing though is when a game changes things up and doesn't just make 1 healing class but instead a few with there own flavor.

Im hoping that AOC Apostle will be a great change up. Not the hard hitting healer like a High Priest (Cleric / Cleric) but hopefully with the augmentations the class will have some preventative bonuses to healing such as. Add 100 point damage shield for 60 sec, heal 10 points of health per sec for 10 seconds.

keeping my eye out on it and cant wait to see what happens.
    - - - - - - - -
    Guild: The Empire
    Role: Officer
    Link: https://discord.gg/BUDD8E
    What measures will the Intrepid team use to ensure 'noobs' are not targeted for griefing as they emerge from the respective portals?

There are things like guards i believe.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • What measures will the Intrepid team use to ensure 'noobs' are not targeted for griefing as they emerge from the respective portals?

How is this comment related to classes
    Caeryl wrote: »
    What measures will the Intrepid team use to ensure 'noobs' are not targeted for griefing as they emerge from the respective portals?

How is this comment related to classes

I think he wanted to post in the Q&A thread but got the wrong one xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • akitsugiakitsugi Member, Explorer
    A bit late, but hope it get seen. I don't have a favorite as it's changed throughout time. Right now I'm favoring support classes and such. A few class ideas that I've had as of recently some in terms of AoC and some not; Archer Healer. It's been done before but I like the idea of a fast pace healer rather than heals and prevention heals. It could work in various ways. Siphoning damage from enemies to party, could be something interesting. Just straight out healing arrows would be nice. Positioning based skills where Arrows pierce the enemies and heal whomever are behind, therefore making the class position always be moving as the boss moves around. Would have to be very mobile. Another could be, sacrificing it's own life force to heal others, making HP drain over time after you healed the ally rather than straight out damage you, effectively making it a shield if you get hurt, or having to do damage to get the loss health back. It wouldn't have to be an archer specifically but that would be idea of a more mobile but ranged healer, being active without being locked into animations as a healer could make it fun for most people.

Another class I would like to play would be a Buff/Shield/Mitigation support that still deals damage. Where it has skills to buff or inflict more damage to enemies, but it's main source of damage is to amplify their main skills, which would be retroactive gameplay of buffing the tank. Game would have to work around it, if enemies have elemental attacks, you can cast a "barrier" or "buff" on the tank, so that if a fire spell casts at that time, the enemy gets burned, while the tank takes less damage. Then you can use skills that can prolong the burn, or use more mitigation skills, like a charge for successful mitigation. There could be skills that generate that charge also, to avoid full mistakes. It wouldn't be a long lasting buff, would definitely be short lived and only for next skill. If the Boss or enemy, is casting an AoE skill, you could buff the party with it's respected element and reduce damage taken at that instance, along with dealing very small amounts but per target hit damage back to the enemy, like a "reflect" spell, but minor mitigation and average damage. There are various class mix that could fit this role. I have more ideas to make this class have a lot of options rather than it just being it's gimmick.

I have other ideas for other classes but considering it just asks for two classes, these are what I'd like, to make more healing/supports attractive for other people so there isn't a shortage of them.
  • Personally, I've never hit a fantasy MMO where I really had a class that clicked. Some, like the WoW Warlock come close. I'm really liking the idea of the summoner class, but I'd also like to see something like an ultra tank - limited offensive ability but the ability to soak immense damage and draw aggro.