Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Dev Discussion #15 - Favorite & Ideal Classes

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tanerlorn wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of necromancers. I like undead themed stuff a lot. Death Knights, Necros, Liches, etc. So any MMO that offers me the chance to be a necromancer is king for me.

original.gif
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm a big fan of necromancers. I like undead themed stuff a lot. Death Knights, Necros, Liches, etc. So any MMO that offers me the chance to be a necromancer is king for me.

Dont do it, you are playing right into @Nagash 's hands! Soon he will have his necromancer army to do his bidding!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • TanerlornTanerlorn Member, Pioneer
    Damokles wrote: »

Dont do it, you are playing right into @Nagash 's hands! Soon he will have his necromancer army to do his bidding!

I'm the good Necromancer who doesn't kill people. I just brood from the necromancer tower I just bought.
    edited March 2020

I'm the good Necromancer who doesn't kill people. I just brood from the necromancer tower I just bought.

Disappointing
    aj6G8Tu.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Nagash wrote: »

Disappointing
    Gtosmium+gtquotosimiumquot+gtgeologist++_1b23144db104e73ddd76bfd4453d6b2a.jpg

Begone Wight, you hold no power here!

11adec.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif

Disappointing

11adec.jpg

Excuse me. But I'm a Fuck-mothering Lich. I raised a lot of people to get this title. I deserve to be called such.

(if you get the reference to tell me)
    nJ0vUSm.gif

edited March 2020

Disappointing

11adec.jpg

Excuse me. But I'm a Fuck-mothering Lich. I raised a lot of people to get this title. I deserve to be called such.

1. You are excused.
    2. You should worry, for i know all 10 steps to truly kill you and I wont stop after step 1.
    3. Okay, you know what? Fuc* it... knife!
    a6XEiIf.gif

Disappointing

11adec.jpg

1. You are excused.
    2. You should worry, for i know all 10 steps to truly kill you and I wont stop after step 1.
    3. Okay, you know what? Fuc* it... knife!

And this is why I like you Damokles ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• I wrote in one of the discussions. A character from one anime to take. Summoner of star spirits. If you can create such a character, I think it's great. To create the mechanics 3 times per day you can summon all 12 zodiac spirits. I hope you understand the point
  • Thought create such is identically to example specialized on fire, on ice, water, earth attacks and protection, lightning. On certain abilities
  • DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    As a Healer I really enjoyed two:

EQ2 - Fury: It was a lot of fun to manage DOT healing while having time in between to contribute damage. Plus the class has tons of utility spells, it always felt useful.

Vanguard Saga of Heroes - Disciple: Using Melee combos was a fun and amazing spin of the classic healer. You could easily contribute right on the front line, and had to in order to heal effectively. As a consequence you could often fill an off-tank role.

The theme here I suppose is that in both cases I became far more than a heal bot, so game play was far more engaging.

As a Tank there is one that I always go back to:

SWTOR - Guardian: The AOE agro pulls and crowd control skills livened up the game play (again, letting him do other useful things). Also with multiple types of leaps that could be used at different points in combat it made the game play feel exciting. Immobile tanks are always boring IMHO.

For range some of my best MMO memories are in WOW:

WOW - Hunter: The bow skills are not really anything special here but the class did two things that no one else has done with a ranged character as far as I know. First they added a pet to off tank for you, most ranger type classes just get zerg rushed by mobs so you spend most of your time running to kite (very dull). Second it has very effective escape options when the pet didn't take the pressure off, skills like scatter shot.

DPS...I mean jesus -> push button ->read number ->push next button. Are there different ways to do that?
  • Alpha SoulAlpha Soul Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think my favorite class has always been a rogue. High damage but tools to perform tertiary benefits to the group. Holding the role of scouter as well.

As a side note another class I enjoyed with the Everquest Enchanter whose sole purpose was to "Mesmerize" enemies and keep the number count down.
  • Xilucient wrote: »
    I will be brutally honest. It seems that no one truly remembers or knows about a crazy game called Star Wars Galaxies. Before the New Game Enhancement, it had probably the best class system I have ever seen in an MMO. The ability to "build" your own "class" from the assorted skill list was phenomenal. My favorite class in that game was either a bounty hunter, Taras Kasai master or Engineer. The entertainer [similar to a bard] was as unique and fun, but the survivalist and their ability to basically help the party recover without having to go to town to see a medic was awesome. To many MMOs have the whole run of the mill classes (Healer/Tank/DPS) it would be fun and amazing to be able to play the non-combat oriented classes again (what people refer to as professions now)

In mmorpgs this fails due to meta.
    Look at ESO and their bs play as you want.
    So many sources of abilities, yet every fighter runs with two handed + sword/shield in pvp.
    In pve every fighter runs bow + dual wield.

Look at AA. So many cool names for classes, yet nobody cares for the endless options. They all go meta.

A massive pool of abilities will be ignore for the few most effective.
    This leads to boring homogenization.

Classe needs to be structured for flavour to exist.

There are many mmorpgs that dont have dps tank healer.
    They have:
    Tank
    Healer
    Buffer
    Bard
    Summoner (not best dps but brings buffs to group)
    Dps (usually ranged classes)
    Killers
    Brawlers
    All of them unique classes without "select your own skills"

The dps tank healer trinity emerged since mmorpgs became instanced dungeons for pve and instanced battlegrounds for pvp.

The design your own class is good in rpg. Not mmorpg.

I have to disagree, the biggest part of an MMORPG IS the RPG. Taking that away starts to deteriorate the dynamic way that players may interact. Even if you want to just place those non-combat classes as jobs, then reinforce the need for support classes. The only thing is that this will again reiterate the trinity that is usually defaulted to. The trinity wasn't started for only imstancing and pvp. Its just the min-maxing meta that is primarily used.

Still, supporting roles, or non combat classes are a unique and very fun experience for anyone that wants something outside the box/unorthodox
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Xilucient wrote: »
    Xilucient wrote: »
    I will be brutally honest. It seems that no one truly remembers or knows about a crazy game called Star Wars Galaxies. Before the New Game Enhancement, it had probably the best class system I have ever seen in an MMO. The ability to "build" your own "class" from the assorted skill list was phenomenal. My favorite class in that game was either a bounty hunter, Taras Kasai master or Engineer. The entertainer [similar to a bard] was as unique and fun, but the survivalist and their ability to basically help the party recover without having to go to town to see a medic was awesome. To many MMOs have the whole run of the mill classes (Healer/Tank/DPS) it would be fun and amazing to be able to play the non-combat oriented classes again (what people refer to as professions now)

In mmorpgs this fails due to meta.
    Look at ESO and their bs play as you want.
    So many sources of abilities, yet every fighter runs with two handed + sword/shield in pvp.
    In pve every fighter runs bow + dual wield.

Look at AA. So many cool names for classes, yet nobody cares for the endless options. They all go meta.

A massive pool of abilities will be ignore for the few most effective.
    This leads to boring homogenization.

Classe needs to be structured for flavour to exist.

There are many mmorpgs that dont have dps tank healer.
    They have:
    Tank
    Healer
    Buffer
    Bard
    Summoner (not best dps but brings buffs to group)
    Dps (usually ranged classes)
    Killers
    Brawlers
    All of them unique classes without "select your own skills"

The dps tank healer trinity emerged since mmorpgs became instanced dungeons for pve and instanced battlegrounds for pvp.

The design your own class is good in rpg. Not mmorpg.

I have to disagree, the biggest part of an MMORPG IS the RPG. Taking that away starts to deteriorate the dynamic way that players may interact. Even if you want to just place those non-combat classes as jobs, then reinforce the need for support classes. The only thing is that this will again reiterate the trinity that is usually defaulted to. The trinity wasn't started for only imstancing and pvp. Its just the min-maxing meta that is primarily used.

Still, supporting roles, or non combat classes are a unique and very fun experience for anyone that wants something outside the box/unorthodox

I havent spoken about non combat classes (professions) or RPG. I havent spoken against real non heal-support classes .

I spoke against "build your own class" "play as you want" models which combine random abilities but ultimatelly lead to 4-5 meta builds that 99% of the population runs.
  • SeloSelo Member
    edited March 2020
    I really liked the bard and chloromancer from Rift.
    The bard did their buffs and heals by damaging the enemy.
    The chloromancer made your team heal by hitting enemies, which was a nice new way to heal.

The Shadowblade and Thane was nice from DaoC.
    Thane mostly becouse the lighting attacks while also beeing a melee class.

Champion in LOTRO was really fun to play due to its versitality.

Also really liked the witch hunter in warhammer online.

Assassin from Aion is my favorite assassin due to the pace.
    Shadowblade from daoc is my close second.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • JokucJokuc Member
    edited March 2020
    Some sort of dark magic life siphon class with a ton of super annoying CC to piss people off in pvp

Necro is also nice
    2030 release let's goooooooooooooo
  • daryldshdaryldsh Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited March 2020
    My favorite playstyle is a tough fight between these two.
    The first one is an archer that has sick long-range abilities and trick shots to snipe players down before they see me. The fun part of this character was able to set traps, and have a pet with them. Or another fun alternative is there's a second class to this archer character who can use magic (either able to summon a hell hound or cast magic enchanted arrows). if I remember correctly, archers' stats were dex/vit and agi.

The other one is a dual-wielding Theif which can disappear in the shadows and deliver devastating blows from the back of players and quickly back in the shadow again until his next strike. The fun part for this guy is he can sneak pass dungeon and only fight with the final boss. And he can pick other players and NPC's pocket (of course, at a cost when you get caught). The cool thing about this character is, he is the nemesis of the archer mention above because he can set off traps without being noticed. Again to add a twist, the second class to the thief is to have magic abilities. Either become an illusionist or a buff caster thief. Another really cool thing too is slash and hack for a short period of time in dual-wielding. Then for thieves, the stats were vit/str and agi.

In my opinion, I liked the thief more than the archer because I remember the thief can always runs faster than the archer.

I also like how I was able to control what status points I wanted to add to. It makes everyone a bit more unique.

These characters are a combination of multiple games and promises that were never made by some game company, but they sure lived in my gaming fantasy world waiting to become real.

• Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mage...
    wish someone would do a viable necromancer...fire mage is bleh...it's been done to death...I really liked Rifts warlock....that's my favorite/ideal.
  • SeloSelo Member
    edited March 2020
    Bonedancer from DaoC was an ok type of necromancer class.
    You could summon 3 skeletons and you could choose class for each, 2 healers 1 tank, 1 ranged 2 tanks etc.

Some classes that you can see in Asian mmos but not as much in western mmos, like a Scythe wielding class, or a whip wielding one (vampire hunter anyone?)
    Classes like that with different type of weapons we dont usually see.

A Samurai would ofcourse be sweet.
    Affiliate Code:
    0dbea148-8cb8-4711-ba90-eb0864e93b5f
  • I want to be a Guardian again and strike down upon the enemy from behind my trusty shield. It's been a while that I could enjoy that.
  • ProteyProtey Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Mage that wields swords. Able to augment weapon, armor, and self with magic.
  • Usually I prefer Warlock and Dark Knight stylish characters but I am very open to test out anything new, different, fresh and less used concept. This is why I am most interested of Summoner or Bard and waiting how those will be implemented in Ashes. My dream is one day play as a pure magic user tank instead of a plate wielding meatsack, and that way break some norms and boundries. ;)
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • DraskDrask Member
    As long as it doesn't turn into a stun lock contest in PvP (Hello, Archeage). I'm happy playing almost anything. The most memorable classes for me were from Vanguard though. I played a Druid for years. Most broken assed class ever(in a bad way), so I felt like the only one on the server. But, it did let me tank and kill the dragon Kotasoth(as a tree!) during a raid wipe. And, get our guilds first kill on him. My most memorable moment in a game ever. So, it had some benefits.

I had a lot more fun when I got pushed into their other classes though. Paladin was a beast when you set up some huge macros. Something that I couldn't do as a druid. I just loved the drastic differences in all of the classes in that game. As previously mentioned in this thread. Disciple and Bloodmage were some of the most unique healers that I've seen in an MMO. And oddly, haven't seen since. Unique feel to the classes made me and my wife level 8 different classes to 50+.
  • My favorite class has always been the early WOW hunter (with a bow). I loved training pets, finding rare combat pets and having a stable of unique pets to choose from. Depending on what I was planning to do that day, I always felt ready to meet the demands of the game.
  • In Guild wars 2 i liked to play the firebrand ( specialization of the guardian )
    I like to play a class which can heal and support but if it is necessary can also deal damage.
  • I enjoy playing melee Tank and DPS. :)
    RAZOR
    Lineage 2 Veteran
  • I would like to play Caster DPS using Holy/Light skills like a Smiter in WoW.Hope Mage/Cleric make it possible. Pitty in the most MMOs Cleric or Priest as DPS use a kind of dark magic.
  • AvernikAvernik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2020
    For me it's either magic dps or heals/utility. So it all depends on how the archetype+augment all works out.
    I will need to do a lot of testing to see what I actually settle on.
    So I'm looking at Primary: Bard, Cleric Mage or Summoner augmented with one of the same as secondary.

High Priest or Scryer would be a first choice if I'm feeling the heals/utility
    or
    Archwizard or Warlock if I want to blow stuff up.

And I will probably end up with a heals utility character and a magic dps character to swap in and out of depending on my mood. There are 16 choices in that setup that I can try out and see what fits.
  • iznebulaiznebula Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter
    edited April 2020
    Throughout my experiences playing MMOs, I have always leaned more towards a mage, or a class that is able to control one or all of the elements, like Shaman/Mage from WoW, Bright Wizard,Magus in Warhammer Online. I would occasionally dabble in other classes like Warriors/Rogues etc.... However, time and time again what I am looking for is a class that does both to an extent simultaneously. Now I am sure that probably sounds either too weak or too strong depending on how you look at it.

Unfortunately, only RPGs have been able to fill that void. I still have not found an MMO that has implemented Spellsword in way that feels right. My hopes are that Ashes is able to deliver through designing the Spellsword in the following way or at least have it as an option of play within the class itself. What I am referring to is having the ability to use a sword or any one handed weapon really, in one hand and being able to cast spells with the other hand. I've always loved the idea of having the ability to weave in spells like Geralt does in the Witcher Series. Geralt in The Witch 3, doesn't have many spells, but they few he has he has mastered them, just as well as he has mastered his melee combat. His armor is also something that I would be cool to have for this class too, since it is a mixture of Light and Medium armor.