Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Chronicles of Elyria has ceased development.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34919/state-of-elyria-into-the-abyss

I don't want to turn this into a mean spirited fanboy war. But I would like to bring this to the attention of the Ashes community. Another game with a somewhat similar mentality of Sandbox Fantasy MMO has shut down development. After 4 years of lacklustre communication, obvious inexperience and scope creep, promised pre alpha stuff either absent or released barely functional, and finally the sudden cessation of development. Ashes of Creation is now king of the mountain by default.

I was looking forward to both games. I've had my salt over Ashes. And I still maintain that the BR was a silly idea for testing game mechanics when pre-alphas for specific features like hybrid combat would've been more efficient. But not once have I ever thought Stephen and the team completely incompetent. I always knew they could at least make a game. I never really got that from four years of following CoE. Say what you will about Ashes, they're showing off Alpha 1. They showed off videos of Alpha 0. They at least were capable of making a Battle Royal. I can say at least for now that Ashes is coming out and it's the game I personally want it to be.

CoE never had that. We had concept art that was amazing, some very early looks at character creation, and then... nothing. For two of the four years of development we had nothing but placid discord posts and forum fillibusters about lore, art assets, and what the devs would like to see in game. Without any actual game to play. We all knew something was up when the Settlers of Elyria event happened. We were all supposed to claim land based on what we backed. And the whole system fell apart within a day. Was shut down. And then bought back nearly 6 months later. Only to go back to read only mode. Just before the announcement I just posted. That was supposed to be the start of "Elyria" as a game. The very foundations of the Courtly intrigue and player driven narratives that would make up the game. And Soulbound couldn't even get that right.

Regardless of how you feel about Ashes, they are making a game. And they seem to be doing really well at that. I'm genuinely going to think before I get salty at Ashes again. Because the alternative is CoE's development. And those backers just got left in the cold.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    It's a shame, but I'm honestly not surprised.

I looked at CoE a year or so ago, and the feeling I got was that the ideas would make for a good tabletop RPG, but not a good MMORPG.

I've not gone back to look since.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This aged well from our Discord.
    ripcoe.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Damn... i really hoped that they would deliver. Oh well, i am just happy that i have put my money intp SC and AoC.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Damokles wrote: »
    Damn... i really hoped that they would deliver. Oh well, i am just happy that i have put my money intp SC and AoC.

SC? Star Citizen?

:#

Hhak63P.png
    Atama wrote: »

SC? Star Citizen?

:#

Yes
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • TanerlornTanerlorn Member, Pioneer
    edited March 2020

Yeah I've backed both projects too. SC I'm pretty happy with. Even though I went for the cheapest package that contained both SC and Squadron 42 for that hot Mark Hamil on Garry Oldman action. Ashes, as I said I'm happy enough with now that I plonked down a bit extra other than my Pioneer package to get those awesome Undead cosmetics and that bad ass Tower. I am happy to give Steven and the lads even more cash so long as they remain on course for the MMO. As an Archeage refugee this and SC will be my go to games once launched.
  • barghestbarghest Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I've lost 1.5k I'll never see again from backing CoE. I just hope yo hell that this games devs take note from it and learn from SBS mistakes.
    barghest wrote: »
    I've lost 1.5k I'll never see again from backing CoE. I just hope yo hell that this games devs take note from it and learn from SBS mistakes.

Holy.... What were you supposed to get for all of that money? xD
    I know that they didnt sell skins or anything like that.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thank goodness i never touched that train wreck
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • doforddoford Member
    edited March 2020
    They could have done a better job of explaining or showing how the game plays for the lowerest common denominator.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    When there has been so much passion in a design and wealth of assets with such potential made for an MMO, it is such a shame to think it might just get shelved and never realized.

I have always wondered, and especially now with CoE that had cross over elements woth AoC, if there was any opportunity and/or value in the acquisition of key portions of their IP that suit to compliment and expedite works on AoC.

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The whole premise just never appealed to me so did not back it. Having said that it is sad to see another MMO fail for whatever reason as it damages the MMO niche as a whole.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
    Varkun wrote: »
    The whole premise just never appealed to me so did not back it. Having said that it is sad to see another MMO fail for whatever reason as it damages the MMO niche as a whole.

it's even worse when its a Kickstarter back game
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    Varkun wrote: »

it's even worse when its a Kickstarter back game

Yes it is, people get burned too many times and it will just get harder and harder for MMO's to KS. So many already burnt in the past.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • barghestbarghest Member, Founder, Kickstarter

Holy.... What were you supposed to get for all of that money? xD
    I know that they didnt sell skins or anything like that.

I would have been the lord of a county, as well as be able to design a weapon or shield with the devs unique to me and whoever I choose to teach the pattern too.

It was apparent from quite early on that Caspian, although his ideas for a game and universe were great, was very poor at management and decision making. Real shame. But this and SC are the last two projects I'm backing and I already have a hefty amount in SC so will put a little more attention here if it looks like the devs are doing a good job.
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Was close to backing CoE early on but waited to see meaningful progress, experienced devs hired, etc. Not to say that there was many intriguing concepts and possibilities, but all for naught now.

SC is my money pit and I have developed a higher level of patience than I thought possible.

IS has been giving me warm fuzzies by hiring skilled, experienced people and showing just enough sneak peeks to keep me checking back in regularly.

But this is the new way of showing early progress rather than either 1) keeping it (mostly) under wraps until ready to launch or 2) quietly killing it so only a few devs remembered working on it years later.
    owuEH4S.png
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sad to see a failed project, but happy i didn't invest in it. Gotta suck for the people who were excited for it.
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That really sucks. I hope they are able to get something out and hopefully finish it down the line.

I think the biggest issue is starting your studio with an MMO. It's a huge project. Not only will it take a long time before it's released and you will start seeing money from it but it takes a lot of people to make, which you don't have when you start.

It's a huge risk.
  • jaayjaay Member
    Well more dev for Intrepid ...
    Lets tweet @there devs to get them on this projet :smiley:
    jaay wrote: »

sure lets add a bunch of devs that failed in making a mmo to make another mmo
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    jaay wrote: »

sure lets add a bunch of devs that failed in making a mmo to make another mmo

There are good people that work at shitty companies. Steven got on last night and said Intrepid has a hiring process. Anyone from COE could apply and they might make the cut if they have what Intrepid is looking for. From following COE's shitshow from the outside for the last few years, the fish was rotten from the head. There might be some tasty filet still able to be harvested from the corpse.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @unknownsystemerror Darn it now i'm hungry.
  • Tsukasa wrote: »
    That was predictable. You know what else is predictable? When Ashes is out, every MMO will most likely lose the majority of its population and some of them shut down :)

I feel bad for other upcoming MMO projects that are actually good but won't be given a try because Ashes does everything better.

I was just mentioning in my guild discord that Crowfall and Camelot Unchained better release soon and offer something amazing if they plan to repay their investors and keep their game alive.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Tsukasa wrote: »
    That was predictable. You know what else is predictable? When Ashes is out, every MMO will most likely lose the majority of its population and some of them shut down :)

I feel bad for other upcoming MMO projects that are actually good but won't be given a try because Ashes does everything better.

This will only be true if Ashes releases with almost everything promised, has a set roadmap for things promised but not yet delivered, be somewhat bug free, have server loads under control within a week of launch, AND Intrepid deal with their first player controversy in a fair and dignified manner.

Any one of these things will turn large swathes of potential players from the game.

If they do manage all of this, then I do feel sorry for both CU and CF.
    noaani wrote: »
    Tsukasa wrote: »

This will only be true if Ashes releases with almost everything promised, has a set roadmap for things promised but not yet delivered, be somewhat bug free, have server loads under control within a week of launch, AND Intrepid deal with their first player controversy in a fair and dignified manner.

Any one of these things will turn large swathes of potential players from the game.

If they do manage all of this, then I do feel sorry for both CU and CF.

I was about to say something similar. There are too many unknowns to be so sure that AoC will be a surefire hit. But from what I've seen, Stephen isn't as prone to violent tantrums like Caspian was. And above all I want the game to succeed. I want it to be fun. I want AoC to be seen as the future of MMOs. Allowing an expansion of the genre that many devs and publishers threw away like a dirty shirt to chase MOBAs and Battle Royals.

Also if in the process of this we could get City of Heroes 2 and Star Wars Galaxies 2 that would be nice, big nosed money men of the industry.
  • This has much more to show for. Part of the community in CoE was terrible. If people came in Discord with concerns they got all sorts of aggression towards them. And the Devs did not show much to nothing.

Livestream of yesterday for Ashes was great shows the amount of work they have done so far and looks promising for the future. There are no guarantees of course for success but there is a great foundation build.

• RabbitRabbit Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As a game, COE lost me when they said Permadeath. I'm an old bastard, so it immediately triggered memories of Gauntlet and all the money I sank into that video game back in the day. Oh, you want to keep going? Feed me more quarters. You died? Pay me again to start over. Ugh.

As a company going under, I'm more sad for the investors, and employees who are now out of work. That completely sucks.
    AOSpyaF.png
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Rabbit wrote: »
    As a game, COE lost me when they said Permadeath. I'm an old bastard, so it immediately triggered memories of Gauntlet and all the money I sank into that video game back in the day. Oh, you want to keep going? Feed me more quarters. You died? Pay me again to start over. Ugh.
    EMPYREAN NEEDS FOOD BADLY

EMPYREAN IS ABOUT TO DIE

Hhak63P.png
    Rabbit wrote: »

As a company going under, I'm more sad for the investors, and employees who are now out of work. That completely sucks.

Actually the way they monetized the game was really interesting. You'd age in real time. You could die loads of times and your spirit would have to find it's way back to your body. This was easy when you were young. As you got older you would start to need help from a spirit guide. Eventually after about 1 - 2 months you would get too old or die too many times. And you would have to make a new character that was a descendant of your old one. With all their gear, stat buffs and what not. Priced at $5 - $10 per soul. It's basically a monthly fee that rewards smarter gameplay with more game time and punishes playing the game frivolously. I wish another game had that system.