Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Please make fishing actually feel like fishing.

darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Of all the gathering professions in a MMO I think fishing has the most potential to be a fun mini game that I've yet seen fully taken advantage of. My suggestion on what I think would make for a good fishing system goes like this (largely inspired by actual fishing games I used to play on the Nintendo)

Left mouse button to cast/reel in your line
Right mouse button to set the hook when you get a bite and to net the fish when it gets close enough to do so
Move mouse side to side to try to direct your bait away from snags and to the fish
Give the fish a stamina bar and your line a strength bar. Trying to reel in to fast while the fish has high stamina drains your lines strength and increases the chance it snaps, to slow and you'll run out of line

higher skill level and higher quality line/pole would obviously make it easier to catch the fish.

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Im gonna say what everyone knows in their heart: Harvest Moon fishing was best fishing!
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unless you are using VR, fishing will not feel like fishing. Just imagine fighting the line with haptic feedback while reeling in the big one.
  • Razor 615Razor 615 Member
    edited April 2020
    I think Lineage 2 had a really good fishing system, if improved even more it could be something really amazing. Knowing Steven is a big L2 fan i do hope he draws inspiration for fishing from it with improvements just because its 2020 and it can be done :D Excuse the video quality but it does show fishing and the way it worked. (at 4:20 he starts fishing)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWEOp0Nkh1I
    RAZOR
    Lineage 2 Veteran
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The L2 one doesn't look bad at all. I've only really done fishing in two mmos Wow and BDO and didn't find either of those entertaining in the slightest.
  • darthaden wrote: »
    The L2 one doesn't look bad at all. I've only really done fishing in two mmos Wow and BDO and didn't find either of those entertaining in the slightest.

Right! It is really good also considering how old the game is so now imagine if its redefined and done better! I think it fits good with it being an MMORPG and not an actual fishing game which do exist and ofc do it really, really! good hehe. But we will see what they will do with it, they said that it will be better than from what we saw on the last stream! So we will wait, hope and see! :)
    RAZOR
    Lineage 2 Veteran
  • As long as I get to cook the fish afterward, I'll be happy.

But aye, fishing is a nice way to relax in any game. I hope it has the same affect in Ashes.
    Amicus Mourchaux

Guardian of the Kingdom of Tyria.
  • rodzorrodzor Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    As long is it is more of a fun thing to show off record catches, level up cooking skills. I would not want fishing to be insanely important to the economy of the game because it will be one of the first things to get botted.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Unless you are using VR, fishing will not feel like fishing. Just imagine fighting the line with haptic feedback while reeling in the big one.

I want to go spearfishing with that on
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Damokles wrote: »
    Im gonna say what everyone knows in their heart: Harvest Moon fishing was best fishing!

Never thought i'd see someone else that has played harvest moon. Loved that game on the gamecube
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • One thing that always bothered me was when you would catch something and it would say it was some kind of fish but the icon was obviously something else. I realize that these worlds are fictional but catching some kind of bass and having an icon that looks just like a trout bothers me, maybe because I fish in real life.
  • Hydrilla wrote: »
    One thing that always bothered me was when you would catch something and it would say it was some kind of fish but the icon was obviously something else. I realize that these worlds are fictional but catching some kind of bass and having an icon that looks just like a trout bothers me, maybe because I fish in real life.

Haha i must admit its something i don't notice, my real life fishing knowledge is very, very low :D But i find fishing very enjoyable in MMORPG's! :)
    RAZOR
    Lineage 2 Veteran
  • as long as fishing is both relaxing and fun its ok for me^^
    also fishing competitions!
    skearnz wrote: »
    as long as fishing is both relaxing and fun its ok for me^^

A fishing competition would be a good idea for a node event
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    skearnz wrote: »
    as long as fishing is both relaxing and fun its ok for me^^

A fishing competition would be a good idea for a node event

Oh good idea! now i need that! :D
    RAZOR
    Lineage 2 Veteran
  • I like to fish so relaxing :)
    I do wonder how deep sea fishing will work
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Nagash wrote: »

I assume it will be somewhat similar to Archeage, as that is exactly what came to mind for me when I heard them talking about it.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47b1e5ac97ca5adb5c731d3cca011aca6c2c8bba58&rid=giphy.gif

Spearfishing
    a6XEiIf.gif

Well, @Steven Sharif did say that some fishing will require a boat.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    With all the new faces here I figured I'd bump my old fishing post. Just incase any of the newbies have any ideas for a fun fishing system.
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Please just remove fishing it has sucked in every game ever
    Won't happen. Most of the devs love fishing, so it will be in the game. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it.
  • I've played a few games where they attempted to make fishing immersive. In the long run, all it did was make it tedious and something you couldn't really just chill and do. If they can do it right and not make it tedious, I'm all for it.

For example, they added fishing to Sea of Thieves and it just felt so scripted and you couldn't properly look around while fishing and had to constantly be watching your line to react. It wasn't relaxing at all, even when catching a small docile fish. Not to say that it was difficult or anything, but it simply wasn't fun.

A good fishing mini-game is not an easy task. I would rather have something dumb like WoW where you can watch netflix and listen for the audio queue of your bobber going under, in stead of something tedious without much reward.

Luckily that can all be adjusted on the back end to make it feel worth investing your time into this craft. Or perhaps video game fishing just isn't something I enjoy and I'll leave that profession to others.
  • I would like to see fishing being an actual fight with the fish instead of just clicking a bobber or hitting keys in a certain order. Something along the lines of Legend of the river king where you would hold down a button to reel in the fish until the line was about to break then stop reeling until the line is safe then start reeling them in again until you get them in. Its a MMO so i dont expect anything too complicated, but this would be the best route since its simple and would still be a lot of fun.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Currently as far as I understand it there are two purposed systems for fishing.

A more wowish passive fishing system, and a deep water sort of fly fishing like active experience. That was some years ago, I don't know what Steven or the team have discussed lately.
  • Fishing is something I am very excited about for Ashes. I LOVED the way ocean fishing worked in Archeage and I'm hoping Ashes pulls inspiration from that mini-game and some how captures the joy I had in Archeage with that system. (without the labor system of course) Making a fishing boat and seeing the fish I caught swimming in the fish tank of the boat and seeing the massive fish hung up on the hooks on the back of the boat was a very satisfying experience. If fishing captures that feeling again for me I can totally see me spending most of my time in Ashes out on the water catching some big fish!
  • DolyemDolyem Member
    Agreed, also I actually enjoyed how New World did fishing. The game itself was meh, but the fishing was the most enjoyable profession in my opinion. Actually had to pay attention to catch your fish
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    There are some really neat ideas in this thread! I find this one especially interesting:
    rodzor wrote: »
    As long is it is more of a fun thing to show off record catches, level up cooking skills...

Keep these great ideas coming, everyone! What else do you think would be fun to incorporate into the fishing system?
    community_management.gif
  • BobTheMagicalFishBobTheMagicalFish Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Keep these great ideas coming, everyone! What else do you think would be fun to incorporate into the fishing system?

I would like to be able to jump into the river and catch fish with my bare hands. /j
  • GW2 has a decent fishing system that I would consider the bare basics.

Would like some realistic catches .
    Stuff like , rocks
    Logs .
    Crocodiles
    Old boot , with the foot still in it....
    My left ear .
    Make it really interesting, and real include combat fishing.