Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

hybrids!

i remember a thing about hybrids being a possible possibilty, that in mind;

what hybrid playstyle/idea do you guys fiond the most interesting?:)
(mine is sum/tank and having a pet acting as tank or a tank/bard being able to minor buff its party:D)

i also posted this on discord for interests and giggles:3

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I will go for a melee support damage dealer build.
    Bard/Fighter or Bard/Rogue most likely.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Summoner/cleric and nothing else
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Fighter/Fighter -> Weaponmaster, because it is the closest thing to a Blademaster.
  • I'm interested how Shaman (cleric/summoner) will look
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Really? I would never have thought you would like that... :)
  • Ranger/tank or Tank/summoner would be my choice, but nothing is definitive till i see and feel how it plays ( how it fits together) :)
  • Either: Bard and Mage or Cleric and Bard.
    Bard and mage = I am hoping for some kind nice balance between CC and Damage
    Cleric and bard = combo of healing with powerful buffs just sounds really fun to me especially in a game that community driven ... spread that love :D
  • some interesting idea's i see allready:D
    Nagash wrote: »

i was surprised for a moment, then i saw the name xd
  • It is a really hard to say because half of the primary classes are not yet implemented and the overall situation of classes is thin as a spiderweb. Anyhow, maybe some kind of damage dealer and support combination could be interesting which is why I am really waiting more information about Bard and Summoner classes.
    Do you need a ride to the Underworld?
  • BlinkBlink Member
    bard/rouge seems really cool especially if it has a bunch of augments to mess with your opponent through illusions and that beautiful rouge stealth, but then summoner just seems so cool that I can't make up my mind.
    Blink wrote: »
    bard/rouge seems really cool especially if it has a bunch of augments to mess with your opponent through illusions and that beautiful rouge stealth, but then summoner just seems so cool that I can't make up my mind.

Rogue stealth will be something that only characters with the rogue as mainclass will be able to do i believe.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • BlinkBlink Member
    Damokles wrote: »

Rogue stealth will be something that only characters with the rogue as mainclass will be able to do i believe.

Summoner it is then. Sucks though the rouge's stealth looked so nice
    Blink wrote: »

Summoner it is then. Sucks though the rouge's stealth looked so nice

It could be that i am wrong, but i really think to remember that steven once said it to be exclusively for rogues. But things are still changing, we will have to wait and see ;)
    I myself plan to play a Trickster, Tellsword or Siren.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • SarevokSarevok Member
    edited April 2020
    I'd be very interested to see how different a Dreadnought turns out vs a guardian or Knight. If dreadnoughts come out to be almost as strong DPS wise vs other melee classes but have more survivability with a shield/2h/dw then I might have found my class. I enjoy brawler classes and typically have to go down a tank path but then mix in a lot of DPS elements to reach that potential.
  • My biggest concern is that the game's tanks will be required to run shield to be the most effective. I really do hope they will work on making any weapon combination with a primary tank class work out for hybrids. Like a Tank/Summoner running a potion launcher who summons mobs to soak up damage, hold agro and do light dps while the Keeper rains down aoe death or healing to his pets and allies would be an interesting take on the Keeper flexibility.
    Sarevok wrote: »
    I'd be very interested to see how different a Dreadnought turns out vs a guardian or Knight. If dreadnoughts come out to be almost as strong DPS wise vs other melee classes but have more survivability with a shield/2h/dw then I might have found my class. I enjoy brawler classes and typically have to go down a tank path but then mix in a lot of DPS elements to reach that potential.

Well Dreadnaughts are still mainly Fighters. The real question is: are Fighters dps classes? If steven goes for the D&D approach, then they could very well be tanks.
    I myself always see the classes this way: fighter/tank are enduring, rogue/ranger physical damage, mage/summoner magical damage, bard/cleric support.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Damokles wrote: »

Well Dreadnaughts are still mainly Fighters. The real question is: are Fighters dps classes? If steven goes for the D&D approach, then they could very well be tanks.
    I myself always see the classes this way: fighter/tank are enduring, rogue/ranger physical damage, mage/summoner magical damage, bard/cleric support.

Ah yes. The old D&D approach. I think the same way usually. Except bards are typically useless and are more for RPing than actually useful. 😜
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    Nightspell (Rogue/mage) is where it's at.. typical rogue stealth hard hitting melee dps nuke skills, with augmented mage elemental dmg and stealth/teleporting to get in close with them.. Yes please.

Failing that, I'm ditching the hybrid sitch to rep a cleric/cleric ✌️

Ah yes. The old D&D approach. I think the same way usually. Except bards are typically useless and are more for RPing than actually useful. 😜

Tell that my Bard/Rogue who charms ladies at night and slits his enemies throats at night ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif

I predict otherwise. Frontline melee damage dealers like fighters or warriors are generally quite popular and without having a single one in Ashes would be quite odd solution. In addition, the feel of the fighter has been more on direction of damage dealer rather than a tank.

Like wiki says: "The fighter is an expert in physical combat. A master of many weapons, this warrior strikes fear into the heart of his foes."

Moreover, tank has already its role in the class name which separates it from fighter. There is also Mage and Ranger as ranged damage dealers so Fighter would be quite obvious pair for Rogue. There is also Cleric as only healer why most likely one tank is enough as well. I guess that Fighter and/or Fighter/Tank can be played as a off-tank but generally taken the fighter will focus more on offence.

This is ofc my prediction, but tbh I would be a really surprised if Fighter would be a tank.

Tell that my Bard/Rogue who charms ladies at night and slits his enemies throats at night ;D

Less throat slitting but what I imagine every Bard does.
    https://youtu.be/u21ICe3f6oU
    ferryman wrote: »

I predict otherwise. Frontline melee damage dealers like fighters or warriors are generally quite popular and without having a single one in Ashes would be quite odd solution. In addition, the feel of the fighter has been more on direction of damage dealer rather than a tank.

Like wiki says: "The fighter is an expert in physical combat. A master of many weapons, this warrior strikes fear into the heart of his foes."

Moreover, tank has already its role in the class name which separates it from fighter. There is also Mage and Ranger as ranged damage dealers so Fighter would be quite obvious pair for Rogue. There is also Cleric as only healer why most likely one tank is enough as well. I guess that Fighter and/or Fighter/Tank can be played as a off-tank but generally taken the fighter will focus more on offence.

This is ofc my prediction, but tbh I would be a really surprised if Fighter would be a tank.

Yeah, but everything has to be balanced doesnt it?
    If we go with your distribution we would either have:
    -1 tank, 2 melee dps, 3 ranged dps, and 2 support
    Or
    -1 tank, 3 physical dps, 2 magical dps, 2 support

I would count the rogue as a frontline melee damage dealer btw.
    Warriors would still be warriors. The only difference would be that they had abilities to mitigate damage or to fight battles for a long duration.
    Enduring doesnt mean tank. Enduring means that they can keep on fighting for a long time without outside help.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    I think you have a problem with your distribution where it looks like you counted summoner as a ranged DPS class but it's supposed to be the jack of all trades.

For the fighter, besides doing melee damage/weapon mastery, only other attribute we really know about is they are supposed to be mobile.

In the past, the cleric also had a lot of close range offensive power. Not sure how it's changing but they are supposed to be the masters of life and death. Steven even mentioned in one of the PAX talks that we have only really seen the life side of the cleric.

As to OPs point, I'm usually a melee players so interested in all fighter combinations. I'm especially interested in none fighter primaries with a fighter secondary as I'd like to see how the fighter affects them. If it turns them more into a melee class, I see a lot of potential.

Or

Warriors would still be warriors. The only difference would be that they had abilities to mitigate damage or to fight battles for a long duration.
    Enduring doesnt mean tank. Enduring means that they can keep on fighting for a long time without outside help.

That is not my distribution. 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 2 Melee DPS, 2 Ranged DPS, 1 Support (Bard) and I am not sure where to put Summoner tbh. If there is one healer then one tank is also enough. Tanks are usually those which are less played and needed anyway. So I do not see why there would be two tanks, but zero warrior like melee damage dealers, it just not make that much sense.

Rogues are not quite at the same way frontline soldiers as fighters and warriors. Fighters usually can take more hit, wear heavier armor and spend more time amongst enemy lines. Rogues in other hand trust more on mobility, moving in shadows and attack by surprise but also vanishing when pressure is getting too high. That is the difference I was referring to.

I do not see a single reason why fighter would be a tank, but I see several why it would be a melee damage dealer like I have mentioned. I can see Fighter or Fighter/Tank as a off-tank but not same way main tank as the tank class. *

*And who is responsible of naming the tank class after a role? *facepalm*
  • HexcatHexcat Member
    edited April 2020
    But by hybrids do you mean:
    The Class, which is the combination of two Archetypes
    OR
    A class that fits two separate roles (DPS/TANK/HEALER)

In my case,talking about classes, the first and main character will be a Predator (Rogue/Ranger) which will obviously be a full DPS and I'm planning on specialize it in PVP, because I'm going to take the Bounty Hunter title (I really want to say profession but as the wiki says, its a title)

And talking about a hybrid of roles i wanna try any of the two combinations of Rogue/Cleric (Cultist/Shadow Disciple), seems like adding the rogue archetype is what it takes to be in the "dark path" when we talk about classes, i can picture any of this two classes being like the shadow priest in WoW focusing on self healing wile be able to heal others

PD: Now that i think of it, I have always wanted to be some kind of "Inquisitor" in a game, you know, this character who is a zealot of his fate but can take some unorthodox paths in order to accomplish his/her gods will, hope any of the clerics archetypes offers something like that :D
    giphy.gif
  • skearnzskearnz Member
    edited April 2020

i act had something ion mind about this! not fighter but rather cleric/tank
    imagine being able to tank and hold aggro through healing spells xD

Or

That is not my distribution. 1 Tank, 1 Healer, 2 Melee DPS, 2 Ranged DPS, 1 Support (Bard) and I am not sure where to put Summoner tbh.

maybe i can help out on that^^
    we know of necromancer that he can summon zombies and spirits that can whisk around throwing about heals (i suspect some smaller heals tho), i believe steven said something like this in a prev q&a:3
    Chezshire wrote: »
    But by hybrids do you mean:
    The Class, which is the combination of two Archetypes
    OR
    A class that fits two separate roles (DPS/TANK/HEALER)

In my case,talking about classes, the first and main character will be a Predator (Rogue/Ranger) which will obviously be a full DPS and I'm planning on specialize it in PVP, because I'm going to take the Bounty Hunter title (I really want to say profession but as the wiki says, its a title)

And talking about a hybrid of roles i wanna try any of the two combinations of Rogue/Cleric (Cultist/Shadow Disciple), seems like adding the rogue archetype is what it takes to be in the "dark path" when we talk about classes, i can picture any of this two classes being like the shadow priest in WoW focusing on self healing wile be able to heal others

PD: Now that i think of it, I have always wanted to be some kind of "Inquisitor" in a game, you know, this character who is a zealot of his fate but can take some unorthodox paths in order to accomplish his/her gods will, hope any of the clerics archetypes offers something like that :D

anything goes, hybrid playstyles and hybrid roles are both very interesting to me:3

dark pathing zealot sounds insanely cool:D
    makes me think of witch hunters and flagellants of warhammer
  • skearnzskearnz Member
    edited April 2020
    i wanted to make a sep comment for a my cleric/tank epiphany, lemme know if any1 has tried this idea in a diff game:3

so the idea is that i clad myself largely in plate and to some lesser part in cloth and using heal-over-time healing with 2-3 aoe healing spells (one with a heal-over-time effect ofc^^), and a hefty one just incase.

i hope in some way that there would be an augment to allow for more threat production allowing me to heal and pool mobs by just standing there and "looking pretty" xD

so what do you guys think of this?:D

edit: if this does work it could open up a spot for an extra dps/tank/healer since one would hopefully effectively fill 2 roles :D
  • easyeasy Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    darkrunner
  • easy wrote: »
    darkrunner

artorias taught you well:3
  • @skearnz There has been discussions and predictions how the Summoner will be implemented. It can be a 'jack of all trades' like mentioned before or perhaps ranged damage dealer or support or some kind of hybrid of these two. I am not sure is there any exact answer at this moment so I guess we have to wait a little bit longer to get more information.