Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Overlord(anime) Type Mechanics?

Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the game to excuse my lack of knowledge if this is already true. Do we have a system in place where players can actually interact with the devs with specific ultra-rare items? I got the inspiration from the anime Overlord to bring this topic up as in their game (Yggdrasil), players can use certain items called world items to interact with the devs and bring a new concept or a wish into the game. I believe it would be a cool mechanic as it can be an extra way to add immersion in the game.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Stazzy wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm pretty new to the game to excuse my lack of knowledge if this is already true. Do we have a system in place where players can actually interact with the devs with specific ultra-rare items? I got the inspiration from the anime Overlord to bring this topic up as in their game (Yggdrasil), players can use certain items called world items to interact with the devs and bring a new concept or a wish into the game. I believe it would be a cool mechanic as it can be an extra way to add immersion in the game.

I don't see how that could be a reality in an actual game.

It makes an ok story point in a fantasy game though.
  • noaani wrote: »
    Hello all,

I think it'll be pretty interesting as players can have a direct affect on the game.
    edited April 2020
    noaani wrote: »
    Hello all,

I think it'll be pretty interesting as players can have a direct affect on the game.

There is a difference between what is interesting and what is possible.

Also, if you communicated with the developers to have something put in game, there would then be a delay of months (or longer) before it would be ready to put in to the game - unless it is actually made and ready to go - in which case why not just put it in the game?

Lets also not get in to the cost of the developers creating the thing the players requested, nor the complete lack of balance that would result from this, nor indeed the backlog of requests they would have, sending the delay time on these things in to decades (or longer).

As I said, it is an interesting idea to put in to a story that contains an MMO, but it simply wouldn't work for an actual MMO.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So you pick up this super rare item that gives you essentially a free wish that the devs are obligated to grant? No, that would never happen. It would be far too risky for the devs and, depending on the wish, could completely destroy the game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    So you pick up this super rare item that gives you essentially a free wish that the devs are obligated to grant? No, that would never happen. It would be far too risky for the devs and, depending on the wish, could completely destroy the game.

But it does make a good story point for an MMO that only exists in said story.
  • Stazzy wrote: »
    Hello all,

And here I thought you were going to ask some awesome question like, "Can we actually work towards being one of the villains or on the villain's side?" Or " Can we construct our own harem of waifus?"

Disappointed!
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Screenshot-6.png
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    Screenshot-6.png

giphy.gif
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The players have ways to directly interact with the Developers:

It's called the Forums and Discord.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
    Jahlon wrote: »

I'm not sure if the forums count
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »
    Jahlon wrote: »

I'm not sure if the forums count

well @LieutenantToast certainly is listening to people on the forums. She gathers data weekly and share it with the other devs through both dev discussions and the suggestions of the people here.

About the topic, @Stazzy you can check my 'Magic Rings' post (https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/42443/magic-rings-in-ashes-of-creation#latest) where I talk about some possible inspirations from Overlord.
    signature.png
  • Do you think the devs actually read the forums besides their own weekly/monthly posts and look for little bits of genius to implement in their game? I have yet to really notice anything like this besides when they are specifically asking for feedback.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sarevok wrote: »
    Do you think the devs actually read the forums besides their own weekly/monthly posts and look for little bits of genius to implement in their game? I have yet to really notice anything like this besides when they are specifically asking for feedback.

Can you really blame them if they didn't? The majority of the suggestions made on these forums would never work in Ashes. Most players don't have the first clue about games development and make wild suggestions that are completely pointless.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    Sarevok wrote: »
    Do you think the devs actually read the forums besides their own weekly/monthly posts and look for little bits of genius to implement in their game? I have yet to really notice anything like this besides when they are specifically asking for feedback.
    Most of the staff Steven has hired have either years or decades worth of experience with developing MMO's.

If you had that at your disposal, why would you turn to people with no experience?
    The forums have always been a void for intrepid and I know this better than most
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• LalliLalli Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think it would work very well in an actual game like this but love the anime.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    The forums have always been a void for intrepid and I know this better than most

We really need an "Elder" title for you and the others xD
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Damokles Or Ancient Evil Ones.
    its been 4 long years
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4years.jpg
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yeah most of the mmo ideas displayed in animes are pretty unbalanced and would never work. That being said, there is a version of one of the ideas from Overlord that i would love to have in Ashes. Since we can own freehold taverns and such, it'd be cool if there could be an npc barkeep. Effectively it'd just be a kiosk, but it'd liven the place up a bit. And if they added some different choices of presets, it'd be even better. Though i'd think that would be better as a post launch update.