Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ideas for fun Siege mechanics, Att/Def.

VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Hi everyone! Was sitting around on break wondering what some cool ideas for sieges could be. Like in addition to the castle region owner being able to send resources for the defense, maybe citizens could gather materials for a set number of barricades on city streets the mayor could place either before the siege, or in the hours before siege begins. How about you guys? Any ideas you think would make sieges a fun event?

Comments

• halbarzhalbarz Member
    edited April 2020
    For the defenders:

- Based on the tier of the node they get to select more defense mechanics. (the below are all placed by the players in preparation for the siege.)
    --> T1: Allows to build barricades
    --> T2: Previous Tier + Traps outside the walls
    --> T3: Previous Tiers + Tar pits (outside the walls)
    --> T4: Adds +3 to all previous tier build limits & Previous tier bonuses can be reinforced.
    --> T5: Increased moral buff: Increases HP by 5%, Damage increased by 2%, reduced supplies required to build, repair or reinforce. (NOTE: This buff can be removed by the attackers by taking control of several few key locations in that map)

- There should be a warehouse that can be used during a siege as "emergency supply" the mayor can select X% of resources goes to this warehouse and how much goes to ongoing projects. (these can be used by the defenders to repair or to build reinforced structures or traps, etc... during a siege.

- 2 hours before the siege: The defenders can go and try to slay a local Dragon or other boss creature in the open world dungeons. if slayed "they can use to attack the attackers. (dragon has reduced health (50%))

For the attackers:

- They can build reinforced barricades that absorb the damage on their siege weapons.

- Supplies for this can be stolen from smaller control points around the map to build these or they can bring it themselves. --> taking these control points removes the T5 Buff.

- The attackers can request support of 2 wizard npc's:
    One gives the "Iron-bound" buff: While outside the city/castle walls they receive 5% less damage and have 2% more HP.
    The other allows the alliance commander / raid-leader to chance to cast 1 out of 3 attacks: 1) Firestorm: this impacts the resources available in the city/castle. 2)the plaque: for 5 min (Hp, regen and blocks/parries, etc are reduced - so time this well) 3) Eclipse: It becomes nighttime for a few minutes, increasing the attack (damage) of the attackers, giving them a chance to cause bleeds, stuns of fears on the defenders. (5% chance)

For both attackers & Defenders:

- Players that choose not to be a citizen of a city and are not part of a guild could become hired muscle/soldiers so that either the attacker or defender can hire them.

For the victors:

- a parade goes through the city/castle to celebrate with music and etc.

These are just a few things I thought off, while some are not practical maybe or realistic I just wanted to share them :blush:

• VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nice! I like the Tiered Defense idea, I'd even say a Tiered attack idea might be a good move, like only being able to use ladders or rams for villages, but having the huge siege engines they've showed off for cities and metropolis'
  • Ventharien wrote: »
    Nice! I like the Tiered Defense idea, I'd even say a Tiered attack idea might be a good move, like only being able to use ladders or rams for villages, but having the huge siege engines they've showed off for cities and metropolis'

That actually would be nice! Didn't think that far yet.

While I love my PVE (as pvp has been bad in most recent mmo's) I am actually looking forward to jump into the action again in Ashes.
    Yeah i love pve as well, but there's just something about a pvp clash that's so exhilarating. Especially in big epic sieges or battles.
  • Ventharien wrote: »
    Yeah i love pve as well, but there's just something about a pvp clash that's so exhilarating. Especially in big epic sieges or battles.

Exactly, so many mmo's have failed at this in recent years. Funny enough even that lord of the rings online back in the days was a massive lag fest in pvp (raid vs raid) it gave me some of my fondest mmo memories.
    Hoping get some new ones here :smiley:

There are just a few things that worry me and my gf still such as addons (don't want them) but I already got a thread on that open.
    Yeah lag seems to always be a big problem. Hopefully with new tech and resources it can be limited.