Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Do players like dwarf races?

JudeJude Member
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
Good Monday.

Most MMORPGs that I played didn't have dwarf races so I don't know what players think about dwarf races.

I think that players should able to make their character dwarf regardless of the character's race. I don't think that all MMORPGs should have dwarf races especially more than one dwarf race because they're not that interesting in my opinion, I think that all races should have some dwarf characters instead of races with only dwarf characters.

Comments

• AntVictusAntVictus Member, Alpha One
    mmmk. Going to go ahead and assume you play some sort of enlarged animal type characters.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dwarf races are a cornerstone of high fantasy, along with elves.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds
    noaani wrote: »

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are liked.. I've never played a dwarf character, purely because their aesthetics always look disproportionate and creepy.. But I want a small character, so I'll most likely pick a Nikua.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I dont like weird short people races like those in FFXIV and Tera Online for example. However, I like real dwarves, short baulky with beards. The trick is to make good female dwarves. So far the best I have seen are in Dragon Age with second by far Lineage2.
    flameh0t wrote: »

I agree with this wholeheartedly, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are liked.. I've never played a dwarf character, purely because their aesthetics always look disproportionate and creepy.. But I want a small character, so I'll most likely pick a Nikua.
    Small characters are sometimes more fun - but shouldn't be introduced to a game at the expense of dwarves.

I'm not a big fan of dwarves myself either, but I understand why some people are. They absolutely do add to fantasy IP's that contain them - even if they are not for me specifically.
  • flameh0tflameh0t Member, Braver of Worlds

Small characters are sometimes more fun - but shouldn't be introduced to a game at the expense of dwarves.

Oh for sure, that's why ashes is allowing both I guess. It doesn't really deny the much needed dwarf aspect of dwarves because they're still there for those that do like them, just that the Nikua are there as an alternative, which I appreciate.

I like small characters, because it's a contrast to something that suggests only the big and bulky can be powerful. Like you see a super strong man lifting 200kgs, you're like yeah okay neat he can do that.. But if you see a midget lifting 200kgs you're more likely to be more impressed and go holy shit dude are you seeing this. Just my 2 cents on a personal preference.
    edited May 2020
    [But if you see a midget lifting 200kgs you're more likely to be more impressed and go holy shit dude are you seeing this. Just my 2 cents on a personal preference.
    I spent about 5 years of my time in EQ2 with a moppet illusion. It shrunk you down a lot and then also applied an illusion (a google image search for eq2 moppet will help here). After a while, I figured out that you could put that illusion on, but then turn off the option to show illusions on your character - and that would leave you with the shrink effect on but not the illusion.

This is how I played the rest of my time in EQ2.

I looked normal, other than the fact that I came up to most other characters knees.

Small can be fun.
  • GimlogGimlog Member
    I'm a big fan of dwarf in fantasy, and I'm willing to play Aoc for 50% because they are in this game.
    I can understand that some peoples don't like to play them as i don't like play humans.

I know for myself that it's not only their physic that made me like them, it's the overall culture and personally that goes with it. A tiny humans doesn't mean much for me.

But speaking of their physic in Aoc , I'm not yet sure if I'll like the choose of IS to go for dwarf that look like those in the film The Hobbit.

Still waiting to see what are they going to allow us to do in the characters creator's to settle my opinion on Aoc dwarfs.

But the culture look good for now, but there to , I'm look forward to see what will be the Aoc touch.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Im a fun of dwarfs but I never really play them
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • subssubs Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    I think the dwarfs on Ashes needs a little loving. they just look like short people. not your typical fantasy dwarfs. I like the pudgy short long-bearded variants. i.e. Hobit comes to mind or several other MMO's .. I hope we can adjust when creating.
  • OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like dwarves. A lot. More then knife ears.
    I want to see slayers in ashes :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VelaryonVelaryon Member
    edited May 2020
    If Intrepid Studios ever decide to make a race who looks similar to the Sylvari from GW2 that would be nice.
    I like races who do not look like small humans, humans with pointy ears or just really hairy humans.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »

Freaky mohawked little buggers :smiley:
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Hey, when in doubt, they use their hair as an extra battleaxe.
  • MosephMoseph Member
    What about the racial abilities usually associated with the dwarf race such as poison resistance, a higher con, and treasure finding / stone sense or something similar? Or are you just talking about their height?
    Ventharien wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Freaky mohawked little buggers :smiley:

I would love to see them in ashes
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Dwarves are often kind of cliche in MMOs which is why I avoid them. Elves too, maybe not quite to the same degree, but pretty close. This is not everyone's experience by ANY means. But it's certainly mine...!
  • It takes a particular type of player to choose the Dwarf race, and those players should be treasured. Not a dwarf player myself, but some of my best experiences - with the most laughs - have been running around with dwarf counterparts.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Only Tulnar deserve to live under the ground!
    CAST OUT THE DIRT STEALERS! MASSACRE THE MOUNTAIN CLAIMERS!
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »
    Only Tulnar deserve to live under the ground!
    CAST OUT THE DIRT STEALERS! MASSACRE THE MOUNTAIN CLAIMERS!

But can they Diggy dig
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ye
  • SkaavSkaav Member
    I think the dwarf models look a little more like gnomes, no where near stocky enough for me.
  • ReinaldoNSReinaldoNS Member
    edited July 2020
    In my experience with other MMORPGs, it includes WoW, dwarfs are not a popular race. For some reason that looks obvious, but I can explain in details, people in majority play with races near ordinary human model. I believe that's why most of the games focus on create kinds of races that looks more like a vigorous human.
  • I usually don't like them, but that depends on far your camera can go.
    If I can go really far, I can barely see my toon, since they're really short, that's why I always end up playing humans/elves.
    I really like the idea of dwarf race. but they look really small on a huge screen.
  • Do you want me to add you in the great book of grudges for that?
    1595274201-runesmith.jpg
    Do you want me to add you in the great book of grudges for that?

I have my own dam chapter in the Dammaz Kron in Khazalid
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited July 2020
    I love dwarf races!

Seeing those chunky, stubby little legs clumsily shuffling as fast as they can as they amble their way down a racetrack, grunting and begging for mead, foam flecking their wild beards as their crazy eyes roll around...

Hhak63P.png