Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[QUESTION] Primary and Secondary Archetype Theme

WongWong Member, Intrepid Pack
Hi everyone, Hi people of Intrepid,

TL;DR: Will primary classes be able to choose the theme they want through the secondary class augments or would those themes be predetermined with said secondary archetype choise (Summoner+Cleric=Necromancer which implies utilizing a lot of curses, 'dark' magic and the undead (zombies, spirits etc)?

________________________________________________________________________________

I have a question about Primary and Secondary archetype choices, Summoner + Cleric in particular.

From the general description of the class: "In such a dangerous world, a cleric is never wanting for friends. They can protect their allies in a number of ways and when necessary, snuff the life out of others. Masters over the very essence of life, they can sense the broken and corrupted.", it appears that the Cleric can use the essence of life to perform spells etc.

Obviously, if they can both heal their allies and destroy their enemies with the same energy it will different forms

Now, what does that mean in the context of it being a secondary archetype choice for players. Will some classes have the option to choose augments that represent the different sides of the Cleric - the healing vs the destructive force? Or would there be some classes that will only utilize one side of the secondary?

To give another example, let's say Summoner+Mage:
1. Only fire based augments (fire is just an example element)
2. Augments based on all the elements a mage can 'control'

Where 2. doesn't suggest that every single skill from the primary Summoner class would have every single elemental augment (fire, water/ice, wind, earth etc).

Comments

• grisugrisu Member
    Primary class brings the skill pool. You choose your abilities/skills from that class. 2dary augments those skills through whatever you choose.
    From what I remember a 2ndary class brings 3 augments to any given skill. You can choose one of those or an augment you got from other sources.

So your cleric example might have for the skill "summon bird"
    The augmentation choices of, "healing friend" which heals you for every time it hits, "life essence punisher" which deals additional... Light damage? And "chaos warp" which does both but isn't as strong as either.

Just random example to illustrate their intend as far as we know.

So a tank is a tank that might deal additional elemental damage with a mage as 2ndary opposed to a mage that has additional interrupts or I dunno higher lifepool/resistance through his 2ndary tank class.
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • WongWong Member, Intrepid Pack
    grisu wrote: »
    Primary class brings the skill pool. You choose your abilities/skills from that class. 2dary augments those skills through whatever you choose.
    From what I remember a 2ndary class brings 3 augments to any given skill. You can choose one of those or an augment you got from other sources.

So your cleric example might have for the skill "summon bird"
    The augmentation choices of, "healing friend" which heals you for every time it hits, "life essence punisher" which deals additional... Light damage? And "chaos warp" which does both but isn't as strong as either.

Just random example to illustrate their intend as far as we know.

So a tank is a tank that might deal additional elemental damage with a mage as 2ndary opposed to a mage that has additional interrupts or I dunno higher lifepool/resistance through his 2ndary tank class.

Sure, but then again there are class combinations whose names, at least now, correspond to avery specific theme, hence the question.
    Then again the archetype combination names are not final, but it would still be nice to know if there will be multiple themes in combinations or just 1 theme.
  • grisugrisu Member
    edited May 2020
    There are classes in games called necromancer that utilize things like dots and curses and such, but a necromancer as an old school archetype is a master of life force from the living dead and undead.
    They manipulate that aspect of magic in different ways.
    If you look at dnd for example, basic features of that class is hitting/ killing enemies and gaining life back. Raising the dead obviously and gaining resistances to such things like necrotic damage. It is very muc in line of what the cleric represents.
    http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wizard:necromancy

That is not to say there aren't curses dots or other staples of it, they can all be integrated with augments. Turning your straight damage spell into a curse over time, maybe.

Summoner especially seems to get a lot of visual love as intrepid has stated. There will probably be very wide spread themes concerning that visually to represent it better.
  • WongWong Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 2020
    grisu wrote: »
    There are classes in games called necromancer that utilize things like dots and curses and such, but a necromancer as an old school archetype is a master of life force from the living dead and undead.
    They manipulate that aspect of magic in different ways.
    If you look at dnd for example, basic features of that class is hitting/ killing enemies and gaining life back. Raising the dead obviously and gaining resistances to such things like necrotic damage. It is very muc in line of what the cleric represents.
    http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wizard:necromancy

That is not to say there aren't curses dots or other staples of it, they can all be integrated with augments. Turning your straight damage spell into a curse over time, maybe.

Summoner especially seems to get a lot of visual love as intrepid has stated. There will probably be very wide spread themes concerning that visually to represent it better.

Cool, i will actually give that a read, but it still doesn't directly address the question, though i don't see how someone outside of Intrepid could answer it.

From the same website: http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/cleric:life

This seems to be the closest to the Clerics 'control over the essence of life'.

@Steven Sharif In short, can we expect a Divine themed Summoner main? (Summoner+X)
  • grisugrisu Member
    Yes, very true. I just wanted to highlight that the theme you imagine might not align with their version of it. There are lots of ways to imagine them.
    Hopefully we get some more insight into this topic soon.