Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Why this project may fail

MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited May 2020 in General Discussion
Many have opinions based on what an MMO should be. And some are decent. But usually, they do not understand what really is important. That mystical, vital factor that truly determinates the success of an MMO.

That factor is pets with cute hats. Pets with the ability to wear hats is what truly makes an experience immersive, it is what makes a game great.

For example, here I have a scientific study on why pets with hats is the most important factor connected to MMO succes:

otter.png

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    how have we been so blind when the answers was there to start.
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Best study posted on these forums for at least a week!
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The answer has been so obvious all this time.
    Pets with hats.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    And different kinds of hats. They can have the floppy hats when feeling relaxed, but use the top hat when being more formal.
  • grisugrisu Member
    aps,504x498,small,transparent-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

How could we miss something so obvious!
    I can be a life fulfilling dream. - Zekece
    I can be a life devouring nightmare. - Grisu#1819
  • IshkaIshka Member
    If we can get pets with hats, but at the level of TF2's hat designs. The fabulousness we could reach will end up making AOC the best MMO for centuries.
    800px-Towering_Pillar_of_Hats.png
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    Pets with hats are an irresistible distraction to the enemy and advantage to the owner in PvP. Therefore, they are P2win and will never be in AoC.
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's so simple! :hushed:
    Steampunk pets with hats! Not just cute, but combat worthy as well!
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You are otterly ridiculous.

Hhak63P.png
    Otters with berets!
    Otters with berets!

a seal with a beret

seal6.jpg
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Seal Team indeed
  • sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    OMGosh! Yes please!
    fNX2ISa.png

I know want a top hat for my zombie pet
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    :*( I haven't seen one pet with a hat...did the little goblin with fireworks have a hat? We missed our chance.

I hope we don't fall to ruin because of this oversight.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    ekadzati wrote: »
    Can't win 'em all, eh?
    The thread never said anything about these pets being micro transactions, and none of the studies you linked specifically refer to pets with hats - but rather to vanity micro transaction sales in general.

So no, you can't win 'em all.
  • MarzzoMarzzo Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ekadzati wrote: »
    Marzzo wrote: »
    Many have opinions based on what an MMO should be. And some are decent. But usually, they do not understand what really is important. That mystical, vital factor that truly determinates the success of an MMO.

That factor is pets with cute hats. Pets with the ability to wear hats is what truly makes an experience immersive, it is what makes a game great.

For example, here I have a scientific study on why pets with hats is the most important factor connected to MMO succes:

otter.png

Funny you should say that:

- In the first quarter that LOTRO offered vanity store items, they saw a 500% revenue increase.
    - There actually ARE studies that demonstrate your intended jest is, in fact, true. Oops. Got to hate when that happens:

Example 1: https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1065003.pdf
    Example 2: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.463.9416&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    Example 3: https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/10.1089/cyber.2010.0253
    Example 4: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220480858_Virtual_item_sales_as_a_revenue_model_Identifying_attributes_that_drive_purchase_decisions
    Example 5: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5646808/

Of course, I realize the intention was to lampoon myself, my position on things, and in general, give those of you with severe diaper rash a thread to sympathize and soothe one another.... looks like you failed there, too.

Can't win 'em all, eh?

Firstly, I did not say this feature should be locked behind a store. Sure, some stuff can be. But every pet and every hat does not need to be.

Also, your studies, while obviously lesser than mine, does not mention pets with hats once.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2020
    I have a bear with a keg, which is at least as good as an otter with a hat IMO.
    600px-Brew_Bear.png

Hhak63P.png
    I do hope that they offer otters as pets. They are so playful and fun! That would be otterly amazing!
    I do hope that they offer otters as pets. They are so playful and fun! That would be otterly amazing!

really? did you really just say that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

:)