Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Naming scheme suggestion

One of the most frustrating experiences in MMORPG - is creating a character and finding out that all good names are taken. It is doubly the problem the older the server is.

So here're two things that I like other companies doing.

1) surnames. Basically you make a surname that is unique to your account on the server, and you have a standard name for the character that doesn't have to be unique.
You can hide the surname but people can still see it if they want. That way no one can pose as another player while still taking any nickname they want freely.

2) if that is too much - then at least allow all alts on my account to go under the same name. There's zero reason for unique names if everyone still gonna call me Aisa even when on my alt. And for those who want unique names - they still can.

Comments

• Options
    XraelXrael Member
    No.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Not sure I see the point to be honest
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    No.
    Yes.

p.s. My comment has more letters so obviously it beats yours.
  • Options
    Nagash wrote: »
    Do you see any negative thing about it though?
  • Options
    XraelXrael Member
    edited July 2020
    Aisa Aax wrote: »
    No.
    Yes.

p.s. My comment has more letters so obviously it beats yours.

I said no because i see no point to it. Its just unnecessary hassle for a problem that nobody really cares about.
    Who cares if your name is taken? Use some variant of it or innovate and find a new name. Its not really a problem.
  • Options
    Aisa AaxAisa Aax Member
    edited July 2020
    I said no because i see no point to it. Its just unnecessary hassle for a problem that nobody really cares about.
    You probably don't play a lot of big MMORPG's.
    I pretty much never met a person among my guildmates and friends who wasn't frustrated at some point with naming a new character and being unable to find a satisfactory nickname that isn't already taken.

Assuming AOC does well, on a server that is 5+ years old, you will be hard-pressed to get any good name at all.

At the same time, it will not stop people from creating Legolas, Legolass, Legolaas, Laegolas, and a hundred other variations. It will just look more lame.

Go and try to create a character on a big old WoW server. Most people will have to go through several names before they can find one that's free.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I can appreciate your outlook, I've thought about a Surname, I've played games where all Alts come under a 'Family Name'. I don't think your ideas are without merit. It depends how formal I want a toon to be though. I'd hate the idea of all toons sharing a Surname, but, one or two of my Alts might have a Surname.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aisa Aax wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »
    Do you see any negative thing about it though?

Not really. I just think its not a problem
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Never was a fan of surnames, I personally don't see the need to change anything about the naming system.
  • Options
    ruMynxruMynx Member
    I prefer having a surname too. I find more satisfaction in my character when I have that option. While I don't think it is a necessary feature, it is a quality of life feature. Especially if you get huge numbers. I bet you have 200 versions of Sephiroth within beta.
  • Options
    GreypeltGreypelt Moderator, Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Intrepid has already announced that there will be optional surnames, you can choose to display either your first or last name above your characters head in game.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    ruMynx wrote: »
    I prefer having a surname too. I find more satisfaction in my character when I have that option. While I don't think it is a necessary feature, it is a quality of life feature. Especially if you get huge numbers. I bet you have 200 versions of Sephiroth within beta.

Maybe an account surname but hopefully not the FFXIV kind where you can slap any surname onto any character.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    greypelt wrote: »
    Intrepid has already announced that there will be optional surnames, you can choose to display either your first or last name above your characters head in game.

Thank you, Greypelt. I learn something new every day.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    greypelt wrote: »
    That's good to hear. As long as at least one of them doesn't have to be server-unique, I am pretty much happy.
  • Options
    AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Character_naming

Characters will have a first- and optional surname.
  • Options
    I like the idea of Surnames or account names/player names. While I'm in a raid, I'd rather say, "hey Zephyr can you back up a bit, you're out of my range" as opposed to, "Z3ffyr482 you're too far forward!".
    E8OOol.gif
  • Options
    PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Good now I can have my Alt Peggysue Gotparried, and if u don't know that reference you aren't a boomer lol
  • Options
    i heard name reservations might exist so if thats a concern for you, that could be a thing.

But i think best solution would be just allowing two word names, there done. And in early gameplay, they did exist there. If you cant be harry potter, maybe you will have to deal with it and make other surname. Still you dont have to be beastmaster64 or some stupid shit.