Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Loot tagging, and griefing?

Hello!

I watched a recent VoD of yours, were you talked about many things, but one thing in particular that peaked my interest, was the was you have decided to handle Loot tagging.

I understand that you get an advantage for tagging a mob first, but if another player(group?) does more than 60% of the hp in damage, they will recieve the loot. Tho you'll split the exp according to damage % if I understood it correctly?

I see agreat advatange in this to prevent someone just tagging many many mobs and "stealing" them from other players.

But I also see a problem that might occur. Basically if a person hates a lowbie enough(or just wanna troll), they could follow them around and out dpsing them on all the mobs even tho they have the advantage of only needing 40% damage done. Seeing as they are higher lvl.
This is also encourage, because the costs of just killing the person might be too high, while just taking their mobs aint probably gonna affect them, right?

A solution to the problem, might be to drastically decrease the dmg % earned towards loot right, if you are attacking a lower lvl mob, in a certain range below your current. And have the dmg % earned towards loot rights scale, the further your lvl is from the mob you are attacking.

Just my thoughts.

Have a great day!

Comments

• AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    FoxTail wrote: »
    Hello!

I watched a recent VoD of yours, were you talked about many things, but one thing in particular that peaked my interest, was the was you have decided to handle Loot tagging.

I understand that you get an advantage for tagging a mob first, but if another player(group?) does more than 60% of the hp in damage, they will recieve the loot. Tho you'll split the exp according to damage % if I understood it correctly?

I see agreat advatange in this to prevent someone just tagging many many mobs and "stealing" them from other players.

But I also see a problem that might occur. Basically if a person hates a lowbie enough(or just wanna troll), they could follow them around and out dpsing them on all the mobs even tho they have the advantage of only needing 40% damage done. Seeing as they are higher lvl.
    This is also encourage, because the costs of just killing the person might be too high, while just taking their mobs aint probably gonna affect them, right?

A solution to the problem, might be to drastically decrease the dmg % earned towards loot right, if you are attacking a lower lvl mob, in a certain range below your current. And have the dmg % earned towards loot rights scale, the further your lvl is from the mob you are attacking.

Just my thoughts.

Have a great day!

Actually the reason you give is a reason we need it! Without it you could just follow that low level person around killing everything they tag to power level them. We don't need powerleveling.
  • Aardvark wrote: »

Actually the reason you give is a reason we need it! Without it you could just follow that low level person around killing everything they tag to power level them. We don't need powerleveling.

You could just handle the exp seperately from the loot. One evil should not open the gate for another.

• FoxTail wrote: »
    Aardvark wrote: »

You could just handle the exp seperately from the loot. One evil should not open the gate for another.

Power leveling is something that's pretty common. Your specific example is pretty limited in terms of scope.

I'd rather not see power leveling than base systems off of a niche case.
  • JexzJexz Member
    Aardvark wrote: »

-There will be a mentorship program where upper-level players are able to benefit from partying and/or helping lower level players; and getting them situated in the game.[12]
  • I don't see it as power leveling as much as just stealing mobs from lowbies. They won't really benefit from it because you will be stealing most or all of the experience. The question then becomes will you be able to fight mobs that are already fully tagged at all.

I like mentor programs. WoW finally got one and it was pretty fun to level in old areas with them.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • My main issue had nothing really to do with the whole boostign thing. I have an issue because it might be abused to harass people.
  • I agree FoxTail, loot tagging is always a problem, especially early on in a toons progression, someone with range or aoe can tag a target/targets even at the same lvl may outdps the swrd swinger, if for no other reason than that had a head start. All the other toon can do is just walk away.

Same with World Bosses, the Chief muck muck thinks that groups will fight each other for the kill and it will be be such great and memreable fun, BS, people are smart, if a World Boss is tagged by a Guild, the second Guild will just sit back and watch and wait for the wipe.

So far, the entire Loot System/Tagging/Loot Distribution is a pipe dream

Now I hear of "mentoring" omg, whats next - this game is shaping up to be one glories ALPHA for the next 5 years.

Love the graphics tho.
  • Archi McQueenArchi McQueen Member
    edited August 2020
    petesmisc wrote: »
    someone with range or aoe can tag a target/targets even at the same lvl may outdps the swrd swinger[...]

This is my concern as well. I am almost certainly rolling cleric and I'm pretty sure that this class wont be no. 1 in the damage charts. So I fear that I will have problems in populated areas getting any loot. At the moment, the community seems nice enough, but this DPS-Loot-Allocation opens up very annoying possiblities for unkind people.

• Archi McQueen, agreed, I also play a priest and it was had as hell to level. But with the Hybrid class, a Cleric might be able to get some good offensive spells (like being a Cleric/Ranger), I guess we will have to wait and see.

In the wild, we we always find others hunting the same crafting items, furs, lumber, minerals, etc, so that's where we will run into issues of "ownership". for everyday gathering items, I don't know what the answer is, I guess, just let it play out. If someone with range/aoe is following you, maybe go somewhere else or do something else and come back later, kill them if you can?

But for World Bosses, well, the system as currently described probably wont work as the devs think it will.
  • Exp is handled separate from loot already. Looting rights goes to first tag + 40% total damage, or the group that did 60%+ of the damage. Exp is split based on damage% between the participating groups, then split equally among group members from there.

And to be brutally honest here, I don’t see an issue with high level characters outpacing a lowbie. That’s a reward of being higher level, more combat power. The low level just has to go somewhere else. Unless they’ve royally ticked someone off, there’s not much point following a lowbie around.
  • Caeryl wrote: »
    [...] Exp is split based on damage% between the participating groups, then split equally among group members from there.
    Well, that means that a cleric will probably be able to get about 15% of a mobs' XP worth every time. Sounds great!
    Caeryl wrote: »
    And to be brutally honest here, I don’t see an issue with high level characters outpacing a lowbie. That’s a reward of being higher level, more combat power. The low level just has to go somewhere else. Unless they’ve royally ticked someone off, there’s not much point following a lowbie around.
    You never encountered some random 13y old that finds it unbelievably funny to do just that for 20 minutes and makes you rage quit to try again another day? Sounds mega fun to wander around for about 2h each day finding a spot where you can finally kill stuff on your.