Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

So "Alpha 1" is up for sale....Again?

13»

Comments

• AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nagash wrote: »
    Just make it the same price as its always been and see who buys it

if its going to be the same price it needs to come with the same stuff...not just 1 item from it
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aardvark wrote: »

if its going to be the same price it needs to come with the same stuff...not just 1 item from it
    Why? If it’s not worth the money to you don’t buy it. It does not “need” to have more than IS wants to offer.

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

just think of them as bonus items for investing early
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Atama wrote: »

Why? If it’s not worth the money to you don’t buy it. It does not “need” to have more than IS wants to offer.

Because I don't like clear money grabs. I am all for a monthly sub as games need money...but when I see $500 tester slots and $400 cosmetics and $500 headstart access, I have to ask will they really keep to just cosmetics in the store
  • TPOTK1NGTPOTK1NG Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gemiichan is totally right, I didn't even buy the game yet and I felt bad for people who bought early packs. Peoples loyalty and faith in ur company needs to be rewarded, they didn't ask for refunds or start lawsuits when times were grim. Let the hype bois have alpha 2, treat ur dedicated fan base with respect 100% they earned it <3

How are they betraying the early backers by allowing further people who are willing to pay the option to do so? If it's determined they would like to test additional capacity and open up the packages for Alpha 1 again then there is no problem with that. They aren't betraying people especially when a lot of people recently found out this game exists and might wish to support it and get access to the Alpha phase.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I gotta be honest here. I think it's pretty selfish and entitled to expect a thing such as A1 to remain exclusive if they are in need of extra backers to up the quality of the testing. I completely agree that the initial A1 backers should of course have their seat on the servers but this is not so much about who has the right to be in there, however moreso about the amount of testers they need to thoughroughly improve the game.

As Steven himself stated, the A1 was never said to be exclusive and whilst people may have been under the impression that that was the case, if they need more people to test, let them.
  • TPOTK1NG wrote: »
    Gemiichan is totally right, I didn't even buy the game yet and I felt bad for people who bought early packs. Peoples loyalty and faith in ur company needs to be rewarded, they didn't ask for refunds or start lawsuits when times were grim. Let the hype bois have alpha 2, treat ur dedicated fan base with respect 100% they earned it <3

How are they betraying the early backers by allowing further people who are willing to pay the option to do so? If it's determined they would like to test additional capacity and open up the packages for Alpha 1 again then there is no problem with that. They aren't betraying people especially when a lot of people recently found out this game exists and might wish to support it and get access to the Alpha phase.

Said nothing about betrayal in the quote
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    TPOTK1NG wrote: »

Said nothing about betrayal in the quote
    Disrespecting and failing to reward those who have faith and loyalty to you is by definition betrayal. You don’t have to use the word “betrayal”. If I said a person completely lacks intelligence, I called them stupid without using the word.

Intrepid has only “betrayed” people 3 times. 1 of those times they couldn’t help it, 1 time I think they were trying to do the right thing but blew it, and I’m not sure about the 3rd time. I’ll explain.

1: They said they would self-publish and not rely on a distributor. Then they went with Me.com in Europe which is a notoriously poor Russian-based publisher. However bad as that seemed, to me it was excusable because the EU’s changing regulations basically made it impossible to self-publish in the EU and Intrepid needed somebody to do it or they’d have to cut off a huge part of the player base. They were careful to craft the deal so that Me.com had zero content control and has a strict service level agreement ensuring they don’t pull the kind of shenanigans they are infamous for.

2: Offering lifetime subscriptions after Kickstarter. This was billed as a KS exclusive and was one reason I was pressured to buy a Braver pack. Then they had another crowd funding event after KS and offered it again. They insist that they did it because there were people who wanted to pledge in KS and couldn’t because their payment methods were not accepted by KS, so this gave those people a chance to get it, but it was still going back on a huge promise.

3: As said earlier, they claimed that certain KS tiers would provide earliest access to Ashes. I bought one of those tiers and have yet to see the game even though other players have. Intrepid has explained that “earliest access” just means Alpha 1, and that they have different waves of Alpha 1 and some people get in to later waves. Which is pretty much a weaselly way to make the pledge meaningless. By that logic they could make Alpha 1 last years, delay whomever they wish, then make Alpha 2 and the Beta stages last a week each.

As things go those gripes are pretty minor. We have games that took money then did nothing, we have games like Star Citizen that seem unlikely to ever be released despite sucking millions of dollars out of people over outrageous packages after coming up with more reasons to delay. Ashes seems to be progressing for real, it’s promising, and I do not at all regret my pledge.

Hhak63P.png
  • BondBond Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Amist wrote: »
    I gotta be honest here. I think it's pretty selfish and entitled to expect a thing such as A1 to remain exclusive if they are in need of extra backers to up the quality of the testing. I completely agree that the initial A1 backers should of course have their seat on the servers but this is not so much about who has the right to be in there, however moreso about the amount of testers they need to thoughroughly improve the game.

As Steven himself stated, the A1 was never said to be exclusive and whilst people may have been under the impression that that was the case, if they need more people to test, let them.

Honestly, this.

If they chose to do this, it is nothing that they have promised not to do and will only serve to improve the game for all of us.
    Bond wrote: »

Honestly, this.

If they chose to do this, it is nothing that they have promised not to do and will only serve to improve the game for all of us.

Exactly. This is just not all about us and our wish to feel exclusive. We're there to test and perfect the game for when A2 hits. It's not like it's a private playing session we're being robbed of but more like a job we've taken upon ourselves to help improve the state of the game
  • Honestly, I'd trade the Alpha-1 access for the lifetime subscription lol. Wish I heard about the game earlier but ah well :).
  • GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Honestly, this.

Exactly. This is just not all about us and our wish to feel exclusive. We're there to test and perfect the game for when A2 hits. It's not like it's a private playing session we're being robbed of but more like a job we've taken upon ourselves to help improve the state of the game

I never once made note of "feeling exclusive" or "gatekeeping" - like I said before, Im tired of being told one thing and that not being followed through before changes are made again or feeling like im being pressured to do something because of nasty sell tactics. I wanted to know where do we start holding them accountable. I said MULTIPLE times, let people in. But dont announce sometime after you used scammey tactics to up sales, dont follow through, & return like you didnt do anyting. Period.

ITS AN MMO, why would I not want people in? That makes no sense and was not the point of the post to begin with.

You can choose to see things through rose-covered glasses. Thats fine. I said what I said and Ill continue to do so if I feel like it needs to be addressed. Most of you just got here and are trying to imprint of situations that you werent even around to witness and then try to dictate how Im supposed to feel. Ive BEEN supporting the game, I even applied to work at IS! I want this game to be more successful then I care to even mention.

But Ill continue to hold them accountable like they asked us to do at the very beginning of this journey. PERIOD.

I appreciate those who provided actual feedback, & clarification on things I might have not expressed properly but the rest of you tone deaf, "she just wants exclusivity....she just wants to be a gatekeeper" or "I dont see what the problem is if they need more people to test the game..." are completely missing the point and its tired.

@Nagash HEY BUDDY!!! <3 Long time no see! <3

@Atama Truly, thank you for your insight!
    4Ts5BFf.gif
    Your opinion
    GemiiChan wrote: »

Honestly, this.

I never once made note of "feeling exclusive" or "gatekeeping" - like I said before, Im tired of being told one thing and that not being followed through before changes are made again or feeling like im being pressured to do something because of nasty sell tactics. I wanted to know where do we start holding them accountable. I said MULTIPLE times, let people in. But dont announce sometime after you used scammey tactics to up sales, dont follow through, & return like you didnt do anyting. Period.

ITS AN MMO, why would I not want people in? That makes no sense and was not the point of the post to begin with.

You can choose to see things through rose-covered glasses. Thats fine. I said what I said and Ill continue to do so if I feel like it needs to be addressed. Most of you just got here and are trying to imprint of situations that you werent even around to witness and then try to dictate how Im supposed to feel. Ive BEEN supporting the game, I even applied to work at IS! I want this game to be more successful then I care to even mention.

But Ill continue to hold them accountable like they asked us to do at the very beginning of this journey. PERIOD.

I appreciate those who provided actual feedback, & clarification on things I might have not expressed properly but the rest of you tone deaf, "she just wants exclusivity....she just wants to be a gatekeeper" or "I dont see what the problem is if they need more people to test the game..." are completely missing the point and its tired.

When you specifically stated this was when I got the impression of you feeling as though the exclusivity played a part in why people purchased the packs:
    Especially, when once again an entire selling point was the limited time access to those packs.

I apologize if I misunderstood. I can agree to an extent that Intrepid does have a tendency to engineer their words, however I personally was never under the impression that A1 was going away forever and therefor cannot relate to wanting them to be held accountable for what in your view claimed to be the last chance to ever get the A1 packs.

I do also think that keeping the possibility open for more A1 packs to be sold is a good idea marketingwise as it keeps more people eyeing the project intensly, for a chance to maybe purchase one of the packs that contain A1.
  • GemiiChanGemiiChan Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    Your opinion

Honestly, this.

When you specifically stated this was when I got the impression of you feeling as though the exclusivity played a part in why people purchased the packs:
    Especially, when once again an entire selling point was the limited time access to those packs.

I apologize if I misunderstood. I can agree to an extent that Intrepid does have a tendency to engineer their words, however I personally was never under the impression that A1 was going away forever and therefor cannot relate to wanting them to be held accountable for what in your view claimed to be the last chance to ever get the A1 packs.

I do also think that keeping the possibility open for more A1 packs to be sold is a good idea marketingwise as it keeps more people eyeing the project intensly, for a chance to maybe purchase one of the packs that contain A1.

My point there was to point out the use of FOMO fear tactics to sell something and not produce what you were selling to the people that bought it already.

I agree, If alpha 1 goes well and they need more, then pile the people in. But why is this a discussion when you havent given access to the people who ALREADY purchased it? Thats my point.

A tendency is truly an understatement. Like people werent even here when he legit made the justification of "The PRICES from the KS sale was what was exclusive...not the items...", which people conveniently keep pointing out to me.

Accountability is my main point. Why would I try to be a gatekeeper for a game Im hoping flourishes and changes the market?!
    4Ts5BFf.gif
  • AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I see your point. Mine is just holding Steven accountable to what he says, using FOMO as a selling point is just bad in general, but to continually utilize flowery language to justify your means just doesnt work for me.

Maybe he will agree to refund you and you wont have to deal with the game at all.
  • Abarat wrote: »

I see your point. Mine is just holding Steven accountable to what he says, using FOMO as a selling point is just bad in general, but to continually utilize flowery language to justify your means just doesnt work for me.

Maybe he will agree to refund you and you wont have to deal with the game at all.

Another wannabe necromancer in our midst
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Warth wrote: »
    Abarat wrote: »

Another wannabe necromancer in our midst

You summoned me
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Going to go ahead and close this thread as it is a few months old now.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
This discussion has been closed.