Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Any chance of outdoor dungeons?

XerayReaperXerayReaper Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I know there will be, if not mostly, dungeons that are apart of the open world, but will there be and dungeons that are in the open? I guess an example would be, an old ruined castle, or an enemy NPC encampment. So far, the dungeons shown have been mainly underground/cave-like, and with the talks of underwater dungeons, I'm sure we'll have varied types of dungeons in the game?

EDIT: Folks, I KNOW that the game will be 80% open world content, and the rest 20% instanced content; that's what I'm excited about most. However, that's not what I'm getting at. What I meant when I posted this was that, in the loosest sense, I just hope the game has dungeons that are OUTDOOR(castles, enemy encampments, towers, etc.) in the world. I hope that cleared up a few things, sorry if I wasn't explaining myself better.

Comments

• They are called DUNGEONS. They have to be at least somewhat hidden from the rest of the world.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    They are called DUNGEONS. They have to be at least somewhat hidden from the rest of the world.

Well, even if that may be so, there's been plenty of dungeons in MMOs that aren't just always stuck inside caves, or underground. Like I said, some have taken place inside enemy fortresses, abandon castles, mob/beastmen encampments in a certain part of zones, etc. Just because it's a dungeon, doesn't automatically mean it's going to be hidden or underground all the time.

I guess the question should've been, "Will there be other areas besides dungeons that take place in the open worlds, that will serve as farming zones, besides just dungeons?"
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I know there will be, if not mostly, dungeons that are apart of the open world, but will there be and dungeons that are in the open? I guess an example would be, an old ruined castle, or an enemy NPC encampment. So far, the dungeons shown have been mainly underground/cave-like, and with the talks of underwater dungeons, I'm sure we'll have varied types of dungeons in the game?

They have said that 80% of dungeons will be noninstanced
  • XenantayaXenantaya Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    That's an interesting question. My first reaction was "I'm sure AOC will have outdoor dungeons," but as I think about it more I'm not sure.

The way dungeons work is that at the start of a server there will be points of interest (POIs) out in the world. Depending on how nodes develops and/or other events, some of those POIs will develop into dungeons. Having all dungeons underground would allow for smaller POIs, which in turn would allow for more space in the open world for freeholds, open world encounters, resources, etc. So AOC might have all (or at least largely) enclosed, underground dungeons to "reserve" less space for POIs.

In any case, it's a good question, and you may want to post it in the thread that takes questions for the monthly stream, or if there's another AMA.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Outdoor "dungeons" are always my favorite visually. In this game however, being that we have a chance to always fight other players while running a dungeon as 80% of them are NOT instanced, I am scared to have a fully outdoor one haha.
  • Not sure if many of the dungeons will be outdoor. A lot of the pvp system already takes up the outdoors. I guess they could make dungeons with an open ceiling but still contained to be an illusion of outdoor.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • I'm sure they will have outdoor areas like ruines etc
  • They already somewhat showed a minor one right?
    In the last part of the Pre-alpha 4K gameplay they go to the Brood Queens lair, which is basically just a.. ravine?

So yeah, i think that open space dungeons would be likely.
    https://youtu.be/fkwaYLOuw2s?t=5899
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • I think when OP asks about outdoor dungeons, he really asks for outdor hunting grounds. As dungeon is well dungeon, hidden from outside world. So I think it will probably have many outdoor hunting grounds too.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In Apocalypse, there was a fortress and a couple of big buildings (like, 10 floors). Those count as outdoor 'dungeons'. I am sure that the MMORPG will have something like those.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In Apocalypse, there was a fortress and a couple of big buildings (like, 10 floors). Those count as outdoor 'dungeons'. I am sure that the MMORPG will have something like those.

time to raid old nodes!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • BoomBoom Member
    I think one of the big bonuses of having so many of the dungeons being out and about in the open world is that it enhances the community aspect. The same five people won't be in their own world when leveling. They'll have interact with the entire world, and they'll possibly have to work out which group goes first, or if it would be better for them all to venture into the dungeon as one massive group. Bot accounts won't have anywhere to hide, either.
    Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen
    Nagash wrote: »

time to raid old nodes!

I hope that they put that really tall elven tower from Apocalypse into the MMO. Then have a really powerful Necromancer at the top creating all the mobs for the rest of the tower.

So, basically, @Nagash 's Freehold.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

time to raid old nodes!

I hope that they put that really tall elven tower from Apocalypse into the MMO. Then have a really powerful Necromancer at the top creating all the mobs for the rest of the tower.

So, basically, @Nagash 's Freehold.

Time to use my monster coins then
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Naxxaz you are correct! The end boss was outside and so was some of the other content.
    They are called DUNGEONS. They have to be at least somewhat hidden from the rest of the world.

Well, even if that may be so, there's been plenty of dungeons in MMOs that aren't just always stuck inside caves, or underground. Like I said, some have taken place inside enemy fortresses, abandon castles, mob/beastmen encampments in a certain part of zones, etc. Just because it's a dungeon, doesn't automatically mean it's going to be hidden or underground all the time.

I guess the question should've been, "Will there be other areas besides dungeons that take place in the open worlds, that will serve as farming zones, besides just dungeons?"

Well now that you've rephrased your question, obviously. This is guaranteed going to exist in the world, and has already been showcased in the 4k gameplay video.

Watch from 1:39:00.

Well now that you've rephrased your question, obviously. This is guaranteed going to exist in the world, and has already been showcased in the 4k gameplay video.

Ahh, I see then, that's reassuring. And again, I only asked this, because it would be kind of disappointing if every dungeon/grinding spot was strictly just a cave/underground cavern to venture into. We'd definitely need a sprawling tower, where enemies cover every floor, till you finally get to the top to the boss; afterwards you can enjoy the vast vistas the tower is overshadowing. And I always return back to this castle idea, because in a previous MMO I played, players could venture into it and grind, learn some lore of the place, treasure hunt, and fight a World Boss that would sometimes pop there. Something like that, is what I'm hoping, but that's just me(and I'm sure we'll have that, but I felt the need to mention it). I just think it gives more flavor to the world is all.

And yes, I know that the game is mostly open world, non instanced, and that's one of the things I'm greatly happy about. I just don't think dungeons, should only stick to the idea that they need to be underground caves and stuff, and yes, I realize that dungeons are "supposed" to be hidden; but there's really no rule to that. I always seen dungeons as just predetermined instances of, "this is a place you'll need to go and farm/grind/hunt to gain levels and gear/materials", so just long as it's a zone/area where parties go and hunt, while further venturing through revealing more difficult mobs and potentially a boss of some type; I'd argue that's what a dungeon is(in the loosest sense).
  • BoomBoom Member
    CaptnChuck wrote: »

And yes, I know that the game is mostly open world, non instanced, and that's one of the things I'm greatly happy about. I just don't think dungeons, should only stick to the idea that they need to be underground caves and stuff, and yes, I realize that dungeons are "supposed" to be hidden; but there's really no rule to that. I always seen dungeons as just predetermined instances of, "this is a place you'll need to go and farm/grind/hunt to gain levels and gear/materials", so just long as it's a zone/area where parties go and hunt, while further venturing through revealing more difficult mobs and potentially a boss of some type; I'd argue that's what a dungeon is(in the loosest sense).

I would love more subtle dungeons. A giant mountain with a castle atop or a massive walled city are too on the nose. I think just having a hidden trapdoor in a small, unassuming cottage in town that a rogue could detect would add a lot of flavor. When I think of instances, I think of having to rally around an orb that takes you to an astral plane of existence.
  • So basically you just want instanced dungeons set in outdoor environments.

AHAHAHAHAHA. Solid name.
  • BoomBoom Member
    So basically you just want instanced dungeons set in outdoor environments.

No. The players wouldn't be segregated to their own space in the case of a straight up dungeon, only in an instance.
  • AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    80% of the dungeons in Ashes of Creation will be in the open world, with the remaining 20% being instanced and much more lore based
    You can check out the Wiki:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Servers#Server_instancing

Dungeons and Raids
    Alpha-1 open world dungeon entrance.[43]

80% of the content that will exist in Ashes of Creation is open-world and there's a specific reason for that. So because of the way that friendships and or enemies are forged in the game and people have the opportunity to create their own friends or foes. We want that to play out from a contesting standpoint as well. So a lot of these hunting grounds or raid bosses that people are going to have opportunities to kill, they're going to be essentially contested potentially by your your enemies that you've created in the game or you can work together to create alliances in order to defend those contested zones.[44] – Steven Sharif

Ashes of Creation will be a seamless open-world experience.[45]

No loading time or loading screens between regions.

There will be open world dungeons and raids. The aspiration is to maintain the open world feel while being able to capitalize on the benefits of instanced mechanics.[46]

Instancing is only going to happen in certain dungeons where the desire is to have greater narrative appeal. Outside of these and arenas there will not be too much instancing anywhere else.[45]
    There will be an 80/20 split between open world vs instanced encounters.[44][47][48]

We're probably going to do instancing only in certain dungeons and in arenas. You probably won't see instancing too much anywhere else. What you see is gonna be what you get.[45] – Jeffrey Bard

No, I just want OUTDOOR dungeons, if that makes sense.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don’t see an issue with an outdoor dungeon if it’s inaccessible aside from the usual exit/entrance. Maybe a fort without a roof, or a winding forest path, or the side of a mountain.

Make it so the few flying mounts can get in or out and you are good. How cool would it be if you could get into a nearby tall place and look into the dungeon from above at a distance, watching the little adventurers as they scramble around fighting things.

Hhak63P.png
  • Aardvark wrote: »
    They have said that 80% of dungeons will be noninstanced

This is the right answer.

Some of the most fun I've had in MMOs comes out of sprawling outdoor dungeon areas. From EQ to WoW, I think my favorite was Jintha'Alor - even though I loathe trolls of all types.

• PeggysuegotParriedPeggysuegotParried Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    yes outdoor dungeons are always a good idea, you never know who might come visit you :)
  • As long as there’s distinct entry points, I don’t see why there couldn’t be outdoor dungeons. A dense corrupted forest, a mountain ascension, fortified bandit encampments.

They’d have to get creative with the path creation and segmenting, but that’s not a bad thing.