Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Any info about the armor design philosophy ?

7Legion7Legion Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Hey guys ! Brand new blood on this forum :smiley:

I have been wondering about the armor styles, as I'm a player from Mordhau where basically the devs said straight up that we'd only get gear and armor based on a specific time (~Middle Age and Early Renaissance).

For Ashes of Creation, I was wondering what would be the general design philosophy, pure fantasy and goofy styles like Guild Wars 2 which mixes actual good looking armors with Sci-Fi Christmas trees ? (Hopefully it's not the case :smiley: )
Judging by the interviews and videos, the styles will depend on the factions/groups and are mostly realistic.

Let's say for example, as a Conan the barbarian fanboy, if I want to dress my dude as a half naked man with fur armor, would that be possible ? In World of Warcraft, even with all the armour models they have it's pretty hard to find such styles as the art is mostly focused on very exaggerated fantasy with huge pauldron armors.

I'm planning on playing as a Py'rai which is basically a fancy bosmer but I don't know if a race has a visual impact on the design of your armor (like for example in Divinity: Original Sin 2 where the same piece of armor can have different visuals depending on the race wearing it).

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Armour will take on Racial Appearances in some cases.

To the extremities of armour in specific cases, we have a stuffed teddy for a cosmetic mount so I wouldn't be certain about the extremities in terms of gear.

So far Cosmetics have been fanciful and not so reserved...Of course, cosmetics change often and must appeal to a broad range of players.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Well it sounded good with realistic armor but looking at the skins that may nit be the case. Eventually your medieval looking character may be surrounded by clowns etc...

I don't think it will get as bad as some other games though.
  • I hope they go for something in between. Not over the top like WoW, but not underwhelming like ESO. Conan Exiles have great examples of armor that look badass, sit on the character well, but realistic in some ways and I think they fit well with the art style of AoC.

Even though people sleep on Conan Exiles, they handled armor really well, better than most games IMHO.

bda5bc9db8a10d1f576817f071600807.png
  • Based on the giant duck boat and some of the others it might actually get a bit out of hand especially since they add new every month.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Skins
  • I wouldn't call WoW over the top. It's hard to compare WoW to the other options because the texturing is so much worse due to being a 16 year old game. Conan Exiles does look like a good target point for the visuals.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • EpicJune wrote: »
    I hope they go for something in between. Not over the top like WoW, but not underwhelming like ESO. Conan Exiles have great examples of armor that look badass, sit on the character well, but realistic in some ways and I think they fit well with the art style of AoC.

Even though people sleep on Conan Exiles, they handled armor really well, better than most games IMHO.

Agreed, Age of Conan also had really good armor sets
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    7Legion wrote: »
    EpicJune wrote: »
    I hope they go for something in between. Not over the top like WoW, but not underwhelming like ESO. Conan Exiles have great examples of armor that look badass, sit on the character well, but realistic in some ways and I think they fit well with the art style of AoC.

Agreed, Age of Conan also had really good armor sets

I love armoured masks
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace