Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is the significance of buffs?

iSinneriSinner Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
For context, i'm coming from a L2 (C4) background, where buffs were mandatory. By that i mean, you can't have a proper party w/o buffers in it, to the point where i would say you can't play w/o them. It was that impactful.

What is/will-be the significance of buffs in AoC?

Comments

• I would assume buffs will be just as important and, possibly, as impactful as any other MMO out there. From what I've seen in the wiki, a good amount of skills each archetype(the ones given so far) has some kind of buff or even debuff. Of course, the Bard is supposed to be the buffing archetype, but we have no info on it's skills yet. I'm sure knowing when to pop your buffs, to enhance your damage, increase your defenses, or hinder your enemies will play a big role on how well you take on content, PvE or PvP.
  • GboltGbolt Member
    edited August 2020
    I would assume buffs will be just as important and, possibly, as impactful as any other MMO out there. From what I've seen in the wiki, a good amount of skills each archetype(the ones given so far) has some kind of buff or even debuff. Of course, the Bard is supposed to be the buffing archetype, but we have no info on it's skills yet. I'm sure knowing when to pop your buffs, to enhance your damage, increase your defenses, or hinder your enemies will play a big role on how well you take on content, PvE or PvP.

Well any other MMO is too broad of comparison. If we would compare WoW and L2 buff importance. L2 bufs importance (as already mentioned by OP) is huge. Compared to that, WoWs buffs are just a little extra, nothing significant at all.

To give people understanding (if not played L2), getting fully buffed (from all buff classes and there were more than one), for example could increase your critical damage by ~100%, crit chance by 100% (doubles your current crit chance), lots of extra raw damage, health, increased movement speed etc.

In WoW, classes have only few buffs at best and they are not as powerful. Like a little bit health, attack power, armor etc.

And knowing that AoC is somewhat spiritual successor to Lineage 2, I guess buffs would be as impactful as was in Lineage 2, thus the reason there is even specific class for that. But we will see.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We know nothing about the importance of Bards sadly (I myself plan to play one and I know that several other people do too).
    I would like it if buffs were actually important tbh.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The importance of buffs depends entirely on the difficulty of the content. For example, in WoW, you can clear LFR and normal raids (the 2 easiest modes) no problem at all without any kind of buffs. However, in Mythic raids (the highest difficulty) buffs are mandatory because of how tightly tuned the fights are.

Since we have had only vague promises of "hard PvE content" from the devs, we don't know just how mandatory the buffs will be.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • As this is PvX game, not PvE, I bet buffs will be important in both PvP and PvE. as In L2, if you would fight one group that is fully buffed where you are unbuffed, you would be obliterated (even if they would have crappier gear).
  • Don't think they've given any info on buffs.
    I hope class buffs matter, but by thors red beard, don't let there be world buffs...
    UncomfortableDangerousBarracuda-size_restricted.gif
  • GboltGbolt Member
    edited August 2020
    Yes, not much was revealed about buffs importance. Though we will have dedicated buffer class, whose main goal is to buff group. So if buffs would be insignificant, bard class would be useless. But lets wait and see:)
  • iSinneriSinner Member
    edited August 2020
    Playing some buffer classes in L2 was boring AF, but they were so important you just could not afford to not have one, because as Gbolt said, you would be obliterated w/o buffs.

I hope they can make the buffer class in AoC more than just a buff bot that you can't live w/o, so that the buff class is interesting to play in and of itself.

This question needs to be addressed in an AMA for sure, if anyone of you ladies and gentlemen will have an opportunity, ask it. I will try to forward this question to an AMA to find out what is the vision for it. Fingers crossed it will be noticed.
  • I think it could also provide debuffs to enemies, actively synergize abilities with others, so bard would be more than bot that buffs your party.
  • BoomBoom Member
    I'm going to be maining a Bard as well. My prior experiences tell me to play tank, mage, and fighter first, but I'm hopeful that the bard and their rallying won't be a meme class. I'm trying to avoid min/maxing this time and shoot straight for just what would make me happy. Being a role equally valued as healer tank, and dps would do the trick if I could also get tips for jamming tunes on the docks of distant countries and cultures. If Bard feels under-utilized or like the buffs aren't worth as much as I'd like, I'll role tank just to secure my spot in groups.

I'm assuming some of the buffs could be all utility like increased movement speed. That in itself would be so advantageous to be able to reach resources quicker, outrun the enemy, and explore new nodes early on.
    Where words fail, music speaks.” ― Hans Christian Andersen