Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Anti Griefer Mechanics - Enemy of the State / Guild / Family?

loghanloghan Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Corruption question and preventing griefers... If my group of three is farming an open world mob spawn and a griefer has the singular motive of griefing us and so he uses his level 1 griefer account to constantly screw up our farming, how are we supposed to stop that griefing behavior without killing him and getting ourselves corrupted? *note that this level 1 griefer account has no corruption, he is smart and never fights back and never gets corrupted himself and he is guildless so my guild cannot just declare war on his guild.

For example this level 1 griefer character has no power or gear on, just a mount and weak crossbow for pulling mobs from a distance, so he can't directly hurt us but his griefing goal is to just mess up our mob farming. So he learns a trick where he pulls all 10 elite mobs in that camp and trains it to us. He then lets the mobs kill him and now the 10 mobs aggro my three man group and it wipes us. This leaves us with two options, we avoid corruption by not killing him but for the next 4 hours (and every day of that week) he continues to grief us and causes us to constantly wipe on the mobs and we farm about 10% as much materials as we would have normally. Or option two, we start killing him on sight so he can't aggro and train all the mobs on us but this, over a couple hours, makes all 3 of us deeply corrupted (because he’s just a level 1 alt character that is a non-combatant so killing him gives us a lot of corruption. Which means the griefer wins, he goes on your guild's forum and laughs about how he made them all corrupted players and he lost nothing doing it because he was running around on a naked level 1 griefer alt. (Why would a person go on a griefing campaign like this? Well his main is a max level character who, used to, own a fully upgraded Freehold, my alliance recently won a node siege and then went and burned his freehold to the ground, that plus he caught his e-girlfriend talking to me while we both wore VR headsets. Point being, this is an adult who is temporarily driven to grief us for two weeks, it happens every day in games and has for decades.

Possible Solutions:
Will my guild have an Enemy of the Guild / Kill on Sight list available to us? where we can tag this griefer as an enemy and kill him without corruption?
Will there be a Enemy of the Family list? Where within our small 8 person Family unit we can quickly convince eachother that adding GrieferXxXX to our Enemy list is good to do and once added we can kill him - with no corruption penalty.
And could each of us individually have a “Shit List” where every character can put 1 or 2 names on their own personal Shit List that allows us to kill them without corruption? (this plus the Guild enemy list, would be my favorite anti griefer fix if possible)

To balance these Enemy Lists you could only have a very limited number of names, Personal Shit List = 1 or 2 names, Enemy of the Family list = 10 or 15 names, Enemy of the Guild list = 30 or 35 names.
Also, importantly, these names cannot be quickly swapped out, a name cannot be replaced with a new one for a month. So if you add 5 names on November 1st, then on December 1st you can finally replace those 5 names with new ones, a button would become highlighted for replacing to make it clear to you it’s available.

Or do only Nodes have an Enemy of the State list, and so our only recourse will be to beg the Node mayor to add GrieferXxXX to the Enemy of the State list and thus make him a legal combatant to kill for no corruption. Though my concern here is the city mayor is a busy person with hundreds of unanswered messages so my plee to get GrieferXxXX added to the limited list of Enemies of the State will either go unheard or rejected because my problems are not the node’s problems.

Comments

• JubilumJubilum Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    Don't kill him, just beat him to an inch of his life. Then his ability to effectively train a mob on you is greatly diminished.
  • Yeah Jubilum it could work but, with no exact health bar visible, beating him to a low enough % of his life will be ineffective I would think. You might pull it off once but then he returns 3 minutes later so you try that trick again but oops, the fire bolt did 25 dmg instead of 23 and it killed him and now you got corruption. The solution has to be repeatable as an effective anti-grief mechanic. I really would just like for our Family unit or atleast our Guild to have a "Enemy of the State" list, so a limited number of folks can be marked as kill on sight without corruption.
  • if youre guild has that then other guilds have that too. so instead that the griefer finds a work around the system with a lv 1 account he now puts you and your friends on the list and corp camps the shit out of you until all eternity.

psure thats not the goal.
  • if youre guild has that then other guilds have that too. so instead that the griefer finds a work around the system with a lv 1 account he now puts you and your friends on the list and corp camps the shit out of you until all eternity.

psure thats not the goal.

That would actually be okay if the griefer creates a guild and then puts my guild on his "Enemy of the Guild" list. Because at least then the griefer has made himself a "legal" combatant target for me and my 2 buddies. So we see him, he's purple (legal combatant) and we attack him for no corruption before he can pull 10 mobs and train them all on us. And yeah, it would also allow that griefer to bring 7 friends and try to kill us. But that's good pvp, because all parties invovled are purple (legal combatants) sure they may dumpster us and take our hunting spot but atleast no one from my group got corruption from it.
  • loghan wrote: »
    I really would just like for our Family unit or atleast our Guild to have a "Enemy of the State" list, so a limited number of folks can be marked as kill on sight without corruption.

Steven mentioned in a stream that family feuds would sound cool, but a free "kill on sight" button would subvert the entire point of having a corruption system in the first place.

Keep in mind that, if you kill someone who doesn't fight back, the person loses raw materials, their equipment becomes damage, they incur an XP penalty, all of which should give someone incentive to NOT DIE. "Oh damn this person is shooting at me" should be a good reason not to engage further unless you want someone dead at the end.
  • My suggestion for the family fueld (legal kill list) and/or Guild (enemy of the guild kill list) so as to not subvert the corruption system, would be to make these legal kill lists very limited. A family one would maybe have only 5 slots for names on it. AND make a long delay before you can remove a name. So if you max the list of 5 out quickly due to getting pissed at the first 5 people you see, you now have to wait a week or even a month before you can remove those names and replace them with new people you really hate.

True, it's a fools game (or in this case a griefers game) to go out and do things that lets people kill you or mobs kill you. But in my original post I give that unique example of a griefer who is clever, he's gaming the system. He's a level 1 alt, naked, no gear, no materials, and this is his alt account he knows it will be deeply corrupted and stuck at level 1, this is a man with nothing to lose which perhaps is the most dangerous type of person.

He's naked and level 1 and not in a guild, he has no ability to hurt me and my 2 friends directly so that's why he griefs us while hunting elite mobs by using a ranged weapon to aggro the mobs from far away, he then aggros all 10 elite mobs in a nice train and he trains them at my group of 3. He's naked and level 1 so he lets the mobs kill him. He has nothing to lose. After death though those 10 mobs then aggro my group of 3 and we all die. This griefer is motivated, he will return all day and all night to repeat this process. I did something to him in the past, maybe burned his Freehold down after a succesful siege, or I e-dated his e-girlfriend while we both wore VR headsets, god knows what, but this guy is motivated and will do anything to grief me and my guildmates so he gets off his max level main character and gets on his level 1 grieferXxXX alt to do this. When he's training this mobs to kill us, he never fights back so he's always a non-combatant and if i killl him I get corruption, that is his explicit goal, to cause me to get covered in a thick layer of corruption. Or we never attack him and he spends all night training mobs on us which makes our gaming very un-fun and instead of farming 100 units of uber loot, we got so messed up by this griefer that we only farmed 10 units all night long.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    jubilum wrote: »
    Don't kill him, just beat him to an inch of his life. Then his ability to effectively train a mob on you is greatly diminished.

Screw that kill him then bring him back from the dead and keep killing him
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CaerylCaeryl Member
    edited August 2020
    So this person is spending $15 just to moderately annoy people, so what? If they’re level 1 what can they actually do? “They aggro mobs” ok so? Leave the leash range and then come back right after.

“They’ll respawn and do it again” there’s no fast travel so it’s not exactly going to be a constant annoyance because it’s a level 1 with no mount, and no combat power, wasting his own time for no gain.

I’m honestly convinced people are expecting toddlers in this game. Sure some idiots will exist, but with literally nothing to gain from this sort of behavior, it won’t be some common thing people have to deal with.

Edit: Afaik there’s already a system going in for Enemies of the State, players tagged by mayors with KoS orders so no corruption is gained from attacking them. Wouldn’t be a bad idea for limited KoS lists for guilds that have control of either a node or castle so it’s not something done at random. Can’t see it working for religious/NPC organizations, and family KoS lists would be too easily exploited.
    My suggestion for the family fueld (legal kill list) and/or Guild (enemy of the guild kill list) so as to not subvert the corruption system, would be to make these legal kill lists very limited. A family one would maybe have only 5 slots for names on it. AND make a long delay before you can remove a name. So if you max the list of 5 out quickly due to getting pissed at the first 5 people you see, you now have to wait a week or even a month before you can remove those names and replace them with new people you really hate.

True, it's a fools game (or in this case a griefers game) to go out and do things that lets people kill you or mobs kill you. But in my original post I give that unique example of a griefer who is clever, he's gaming the system. He's a level 1 alt, naked, no gear, no materials, and this is his alt account he knows it will be deeply corrupted and stuck at level 1, this is a man with nothing to lose which perhaps is the most dangerous type of person.

He's naked and level 1 and not in a guild, he has no ability to hurt me and my 2 friends directly so that's why he griefs us while hunting elite mobs by using a ranged weapon to aggro the mobs from far away, he then aggros all 10 elite mobs in a nice train and he trains them at my group of 3. He's naked and level 1 so he lets the mobs kill him. He has nothing to lose. After death though those 10 mobs then aggro my group of 3 and we all die. This griefer is motivated, he will return all day and all night to repeat this process. I did something to him in the past, maybe burned his Freehold down after a succesful siege, or I e-dated his e-girlfriend while we both wore VR headsets, god knows what, but this guy is motivated and will do anything to grief me and my guildmates so he gets off his max level main character and gets on his level 1 grieferXxXX alt to do this. When he's training this mobs to kill us, he never fights back so he's always a non-combatant and if i killl him I get corruption, that is his explicit goal, to cause me to get covered in a thick layer of corruption. Or we never attack him and he spends all night training mobs on us which makes our gaming very un-fun and instead of farming 100 units of uber loot, we got so messed up by this griefer that we only farmed 10 units all night long.

I get what you are saying and it is kind of a cool fan service thing much like my religion faction idea. It is something worth discussing and maybe you'll be lucky and the right person's eyes might come across this one day. I do not see this being entertained any time within the next three years or so, but something down the line is a strong maybe in my personal view. don't get bothered by the replies from people that just want to say how it will not work or isn't meant to be, this is a good thing to bring up and should be discussed.
  • Well remember this is guy who has a maxed out main character, this is just his alt that dies so often that it's heavly debuffed. So lets say he does have a mount so when he spawns at a near by spawn point he can ride back quickly (dying as a non-combatant will not cause you to lose your mount so this griefer alt account could realistically have a mount and not lose it even though he's constantly dieing to these mobs that he trains on people)

Toddlers no, just adults who had alot to lose, like a freehold or a node, and in this example I played a role in him losing what he deeply cherished and put months of work into. This is a temporarily depressed man, he's going through the stages of grief, and unluckily for me and my 2 friends farming these mobs he's in that stage where he wants revenge for the next two weeks. This happens every day in games and has for decades. The dude has a temporary need to cause sweet delicious grief.
    Well remember this is guy who has a maxed out main character, this is just his alt that dies so often that it's heavly debuffed. So lets say he does have a mount so when he spawns at a near by spawn point he can ride back quickly (dying as a non-combatant will not cause you to lose your mount so this griefer alt account could realistically have a mount and not lose it even though he's constantly dieing to these mobs that he trains on people)

Toddlers no, just adults who had alot to lose, like a freehold or a node, and in this example I played a role in him losing what he deeply cherished and put months of work into. This is a temporarily depressed man, he's going through the stages of grief, and unluckily for me and my 2 friends farming these mobs he's in that stage where he wants revenge for the next two weeks. This happens every day in games and has for decades. The dude has a temporary need to cause sweet delicious grief.

At that point I’d probably just take the corruption hit and kill him just for the catharsis. I don’t plan on wearing my best gear for farming so if I lose it, ah well.