Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Combat Skill Animations (July Dev Update)

CaptnChuckCaptnChuck Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
The dev update was incredible. All the concept art looked on point.

However, I had a couple of issues with some of the combat skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8DDBX7hD0&t=1944s

At 38:47, Steven uses a skill with an extremely long cast time that roots him in place. I personally don't like skills with a 2s cast time. Not only that, this ability was being used by Steven when he was wielding a one-handed sword. If he was wielding a great-sword or something heavier, then the animation and cast time would make a lot more sense to me. But for a one-handed sword? Not so much.

Similarly, watch Luperza at 38:48. She jumps into the air and launches a fireball. It too had a cast time of about 2s that rooted her in place. For me to use a skill that roots me in place for 2s, especially as a mage, it would have to deal a significant amount of dmg. Maybe you could make it so that you can charge the fireball over 2s instead, such that it deals more dmg the longer you charge it. This way players have the option to decide how long they want to be locked in place. You could also increase the contrast of the fireball the longer you charge it, so that a fully charged fireball kinda looks like a magma-ball.

Also, a lot of the abilities had bright orange/yellowish color schemes which made it kind of difficult to tell them apart. I know how difficult it must be to design 600+ abilities and maintain animation/color identity. However, maintaining a somewhat unique animation/color scheme is a vital part of ensuring that PvP will be rewarding for skilled players, as skilled players should be able to react to different animations appropriately.

That's all I have to say. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Everything will be fine, so long as movement is improved. If we go by AA Combat (Some systems and classes are based off of AA and L2) then the combat will be fluid, even if some cast times will be static. One can balance the static skills with movement.

We can also mount in combat (Last I saw) which will also assist with movement in combat.

I'm not a fan of 2 second cast times, however, if every class has the same dynamics in terms of a 2 second cast skill, then the balance will be present.

Combat will be improved like Steven said in the forums a day or so ago. There will be so much improved after Alpha 1, during Alpha 1 and even without Alpha 1 (Combat has come on far since the days of 'Focus' and Crit Bar).

I've highlighted similar issues before, IS is aware of the issues. Trust that all will be resolved by launch.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    Everything will be fine, so long as movement is improved. If we go by AA Combat (Some systems and classes are based off of AA and L2) then the combat will be fluid, even if some cast times will be static. One can balance the static skills with movement.

We can also mount in combat (Last I saw) which will also assist with movement in combat.

I'm not a fan of 2 second cast times, however, if every class has the same dynamics in terms of a 2 second cast skill, then the balance will be present.

Combat will be improved like Steven said in the forums a day or so ago. There will be so much improved after Alpha 1, during Alpha 1 and even without Alpha 1 (Combat has come on far since the days of 'Focus' and Crit Bar).

I've highlighted similar issues before, IS is aware of the issues. Trust that all will be resolved by launch.

Fair enough. What do you think about my suggestions tho?

I feel like if the first animation I mentioned, was only for Greatswords and other Two-handed weapons, it would look a lot better. And if the fireball ability was chargeable, that would be a lot better as well.
  • mazhmazh Member
    Nothing is tunned and balanced yet
    Everything has to work first
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    I think the skill you refer to is a Flame Sword...it does seem to charge before it enables fully, but, we don't see cast bars in the iterations at the moment. I think with cast bars you will get the feel of the abilities better.

In terms of the Fireball, I appreciate the style of the Fireball. I didn't appreciate the animations at first but they have grown on me. I think again, with a cast bar present you would see the charge before the release. I think if you make it with a cancel effect, there would be less risk/reward. Of course, damage numbers will be tweaked etc.

It is impossible to say whether these animations will make it to the final rendition, I haven't got hands on test experience and the hands on players will have a better grasp of the combat flow. Much of what we see is placeholder, but placeholders can sometimes become the final iteration.

As I've said though, Steven said the combat will be improved on the forums yesterday.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Neurath wrote: »
    I think the skill you refer to is a Flame Sword...it does seem to charge before it enables fully, but, we don't see cast bars in the iterations at the moment. I think with cast bars you will get the feel of the abilities better.

In terms of the Fireball, I appreciate the style of the Fireball. I didn't appreciate the animations at first but they have grown on me. I think again, with a cast bar present you would see the charge before the release. I think if you make it with a cancel effect, there would be less risk/reward. Of course, damage numbers will be tweaked etc.

It is impossible to say whether these animations will make it to the final rendition, I haven't got hands on test experience and the hands on players will have a better grasp of the combat flow. Much of what we see is placeholder, but placeholders can sometimes become the final iteration.

As I've said though, Steven said the combat will be improved on the forums yesterday.

Yea I saw his comment. I really hope he does.
  • Also, the prismatic beam roots you in place as well..

An ability like prismatic beam should be balanced by how difficult it is to hit. Not by rooting you in place.

I really hope that this isn't going to be a go to way to balance mage abilities i.e. giving high dmg in exchange for long cast animations that root you in place.
  • I do hope that instead of opting for 2s animation casts, they use "charge" instead. This allows you to charge the skill for a duration to deal dmg based on how long you charged it instead of forcing you to be locked in place every time you use the fireball ability. You could also make it so that your movement speed is reduced while charging so you're not running around and shooting max dmg fireballs.