Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Cinematic

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
Does anyone know if they will be doing a cinematic for launch? I sure hope so!

Comments

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I hope that they do, but i dont expect them to.
    Cinematics were always a thing that i liked from Blizzard for example, and whish that more game studios would do the same.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm not a fan of them, myself.

I'd rather every game only use in engine captures for marketing.

I'm always suspect of game companies that continuously use non-game footage for marketing. Leads to situations like with Warcraft 3's remaster.

IMO, only show what players can expect to see. If what players can expect to see isn't good enough for marketing, make your game better before releasing it.
  • JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Big cinematic scenes cost a ton of money.

Intrepid running on a much smaller budget is going to have to make every dollar count, so don't be expect them.

hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Make nodes 3 the Cinematic intro :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • LalliLalli Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I rather them get the game out but maybe if there's someone with the time ( I doubt it) before release it would be cool.
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Lalli yeah, I think a real ingame engine would be awesome for the trailer, Not some million dollar 2 minute firework display.
    @Jahlon , oh I know but a real in game engine one is doable and would be awesome if done right.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Wouldn't it be Nodes 5? 3 and 4 should be out before launch.

Nodes 5 is all about how a certain necromancer becomes all powerful!
  • LalliLalli Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

@Nagash I didn't know you get our own cinematic? How much did you have to pay for that? :wink:
  • Based o what we saw , Ashes will look really nice. So they can just as well make promotional material based on their game play then spent $$$ on a cinematic.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lalli wrote: »

@Nagash I didn't know you get our own cinematic? How much did you have to pay for that? :wink:

Keeping the forum alive is my pay ^^
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • MakinojiMakinoji Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    I could see them doing an in-game footage launch trailer.
  • FlashmanFlashman Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2020
    Balrog21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if they will be doing a cinematic for launch? I sure hope so!

They're a 'nice to have' and certainly play some part in marketing to attract eyeballs to the game around launch time, but they're also a money bonfire and in a project where $$$ matter, I don't think it's something the CoE team should be worrying too much about. That doesn't mean don't do anything, what it means is don't give Blur Studio (no relation by the way), a blank check and carte blanche to do what they want, either. It's not needed.
    @blur yeah, an in game footage trailer would suffice for me. :)
  • MeowsedMeowsed Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Pre-rendered cinematics are really just for showing off the artistic vision of the world. Which makes sense for something like WoW with it's high-fantasy art style, and it's focus on selling a cool experience/world rather than a nuanced game.

But to me, AoC is a little bit more plain-looking. And the value comes more from the various deep gameplay systems and the myriad possibilities of a big open world.

They might be able to sell that with a series of trailers about each aspect of gameplay (crafting/trading, geopolitics, customization, exploration), but I expect it will be more practical and less cinematic in nature.
    Mega troll frmr1cq9w89im2.jpg
  • More game, less ads.
    Publicity is a big sink for companies, I'd rather have a better server than fluffy ads
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    See, I want to bring up the recent Assassins Creed trailer in this conversation now. It was originally billed as a gameplay trailer, but was almost exclusively cinematic.

Even if it is in engine cinematics, I am still of the opinion that any game studio publicizing their game with anything other than in game footage of actual gameplay (UI and all) either has a game that is unfinished, or a game they are not proud of.
  • I loved Guild Wars 2 personal story scheme in which there would be a beautiful smooth background and actual in-game characters zoomed in while talking. It felt like really telling a story. There are also in-game captures, I'm fine with those but the personal story structure made it so much more magical. Hope they consider it.
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫
    @Valento92 I agree. I did enjoy their story type approach to the game.
    I'm fine with a story driven trailer with in game footage. I'm hoping they do something at least to give some backstory as to why your in the world for the first place.