Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The problem with having “Tank” as a class name

ShoximityShoximity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
edited June 2021 in General Discussion
Hello all, I believe this discussion may have come up before, but I really would like Steven and friends to reconsider the name “Tank”. Overall, they have done a good job at naming the other classes and subclasses, but they ruin the immersion of the game by using the class name “tank”. Tank was a code name given to military vehicles being created in 1915. It has been a slang term for classes and archetypes in many video games given to the role that is used to absorb/mitigate or “tank” damage. Having a class name feels very uncharacteristic compared to the other class names. It’s like naming your cat “Cat”. It’s cute and punny, but is that what they really want for their game? What class do you play? Oh, I play a tank! Yea, but like what class? TANK!! *insert meme of a tank with a face on it... drooling*

Comments

• RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Tank is actually called Guardian in this case.
  • ShoximityShoximity Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Yea, the problem is that tank is used at all to begin with. The definition of “tank”is a military vehicle. We only know the slang meaning of the word as gamers because it’s what we use to define a specific role. They should use warrior or some other Base class name. Tank shouldn’t even be on the list.
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I vote for Warlord as a new name.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How is this any different to names like summoner or fighter? Yes, those names have been used for classes in the past but isn't it a similar situation where a fighter is someone who fights and a summoner is someone who summoners?
    edited August 2020
    I don’t know about you @mcstackerson, but I’ve never seen a class in my fantasy RPG games that rolls around and shoots artillery shells in my party of fighters, wizards, and healers.
  • RyufuRyufu Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Cripsus wrote: »
    Yea, the problem is that tank is used at all to begin with. The definition of “tank”is a military vehicle. We only know the slang meaning of the word as gamers because it’s what we use to define a specific role. They should use warrior or some other Base class name. Tank shouldn’t even be on the list.

I can see that. Warrior is pretty basic. Might be just to assist the players to better choose their class with a name like Tank. They know what it is from the big class table.

Language is a funny thing. Tank means more than a military vehicle at this point. We know mages in WoW give out conjured water, so they get called vending machines.

Definitely could be a quick fix for them, but there is probably some rationale behind their choice. I wonder what happens when you target someone, will it say Tank or say their actual chosen class of Guardian, Keeper, Nightshield... I suppose that could break your immersion. Not sure if it is a big deal to me.
  • This thread is silly.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How is this any different to names like summoner or fighter? Yes, those names have been used for classes in the past but isn't it a similar situation where a fighter is someone who fights and a summoner is someone who summoners?

Spot on
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Protector
  • AdlehydeAdlehyde Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Agreed. The other archetype names are more or less generic, but are actual class names people are familiar with in other games. Admittedly Fighter as a class name is kinda only a thing in early FF games, (make it warrior or something) but Tank isn't even a class name in anything.

It should definitely be given a proper name. I think you actually steal Knight from Tank/Fighter and turn it into the Archetype, and then make Knight/Fighter into a Warlord.
    edited August 2020
    I like Sentinel as a name or Warden
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Cripsus Yes, but as you said, in the context MMOs we have something else that we call Tanks which is what the tank is. In a MMO, a tank is not a vehicle and instead is a character that "tanks" damage.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited August 2020
    Protector

Protector is a bad name. However, would love to kill people around the 'Protector' just to prove the point.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Protector would be a better name than tank, imo. The problem is that the term tank is and can be related to something completely different.
    edited August 2020
    In the lore of Verra, Tank could mean 'One who tanks damage' rather than the real world's definition. Though at face value, a real life Tank does 'tank damage'. In terms of DPS a real Tank does more but we're talking definitions here.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • I think they should give him a cannon fire skill and then it'll be fine.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
    If we pull out the lore card for Verra, than it’s a lousy lame excuse and it acknowledges that there was an error and would rather cover it up. Would be cooler if they came up with a new term in Verra’s lore that means “to tank damage” than use an English slang word in modern day video games for “one that tanks damage”.
  • Brute
    Shield.
    Defender.

Idk :)
    @Yuyukoyay this is the only acceptable fix/answer.
    Steven has stated the class names won't change. I merely play devil's advocate and make plausible reasons for why one would choose Tank, albeit for a Primary Archetype which would be replaced when a Secondary Archetype is added.

Its like someone asking why a Blue Power Ranger is called Blue Ranger, or a Red Power Ranger being called Red Ranger...sometimes simplicities are best.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    edited August 2020
    Oof, unfortunate that he stated it won’t change. I was really trying to fix mine and others future immersion. Well, they better give the class a transformers like feature so I can roll around and shoot artillery from my cannon arms.
    Tanks could use Potion Launchers.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Potion_launchers

Closest thing we have to cannons unless we can build cannons for sieges.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    Neurath wrote: »
    Steven has stated the class names won't change. I merely play devil's advocate and make plausible reasons for why one would choose Tank, albeit for a Primary Archetype which would be replaced when a Secondary Archetype is added.

Its like someone asking why a Blue Power Ranger is called Blue Ranger, or a Red Power Ranger being called Red Ranger...sometimes simplicities are best.

Oh we know they wont change but thinking of names is aways fun. reminds me of the old prediction threads
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Oof, unfortunate that he stated it won’t change. I was really trying to fix mine and others future immersion. Well, they better give the class a transformers like feature so I can roll around and shoot artillery from my cannon arms.

Yeah, but to be fair, if the worst thing we have to complain about with this game is the horrible archetype/class naming sense, then we'll be fine.
    @StevenSharif is this true good sir? You aren’t willing to adjust class names? I believe I bring some valid points, and I would like to know your reasoning behind the name choice.
  • Well it won't be the only name. They get a real name when they form any of their 8 classes.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
    @StevenSharif is this true good sir? You aren’t willing to adjust class names? I believe I bring some valid points, and I would like to know your reasoning behind the name choice.

So you want them to change a class based on one person?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

Nagash wrote: »

Lets not pretend it's remotely one person though.
  • Yeah a name change doesn't seem like a big deal if we can find a name that's appropriate for the role
    Adlehyde wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Lets not pretend it's remotely one person though.

Let's not pretend it's not even 1% of the player base though
    nJ0vUSm.gif