Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

World ending events?

ArmoredcellArmoredcell Member
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
My concern is that the player base could become happy with the leaders and not want change, do you think something like Game of thrones where the undead come from the north? i like the idea that a world event could happen, i know there are region events like the volcano but what if there was something more. Lets discuss this possibility.

Comments

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be world events that are for a large portion of the playerbase to participate in that will have server-wide effects. What they will not do is artificially put their thumb on the scale to influence server development. If a server is static and boring, that is on the playerbase to resolve through the many systems and mechanics provided for that. If people don't like a node or server even they will be free to move inside the server to other locations, causing those areas to have atrophy and disappear, once again opening up those areas for new development. The only reason something is static is because a majority would be actively supporting the status quo. Or abandon the server entirely. Which would eventually reduce that server to a point that the same thing would happen. They have plans for server merges, but my bet is that those involved in the merges coming from the lower population or the combination of two lower population servers are not going to be happy with the mechanics for that, since you most likely would not be bringing your progression along with you.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The end times will come
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    Hi there! Looks like Unknown got you a solid answer up above - as you'd like to discuss this possibility further, I'm going to go ahead and move it out of our Support & FAQ section and over into our General Discussion section instead!
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    OrcLuckOrcLuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2020
    So there are large events described, and they have the possibility of regressing nodes, but if everyone gets settled and every server meta eventually settles, I think for one, that will take a long time to eek itself out, as people on different servers make different choices for their servers, I think there will be an incentive for different content even though POIs might be shared among several nodes. Maybe there's a special mount discovered if you have a Tier 4 node attack a tier 6 node from a certain position that reveals a flying mount that is a fan favorite and its discovered how to get it, is through this route, and the leaders are like...right well I want to have that, lets direct the guild to transfer power.

If it becomes a "solved" thing, then I think at that point the game will have gone on for a long time, and the devs will be set up to launch meta shaking expansions.
  • Options
    I think, hope even, the node system will provide much more variety than you might think. Looking back on the server best guilds I have come into contact with, most carry a "holier than thou" mentality. Which works well in pve. With this system however, it seems you darn well better have allies and be diplomatic. Because being the leader of a node could go from glory, to the entire region vs. you with one wrong sentence.
  • Options
    ogreogre Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They have plans for server merges, but my bet is that those involved in the merges coming from the lower population or the combination of two lower population servers are not going to be happy with the mechanics for that, since you most likely would not be bringing your progression along with you.

Is this referring to loss of character progression or loss of server/node progrssion?
  • Options
    Honestly if the player base does become happy with the leaders, then where's the problem in that? A world where everyone is free and happy is a good one. However, the fact of the matter is, not everyone in the real world is happy with their leaders, so why would they in Ashes of Creation? No matter what, you'll always have different people with different ideals and personalities, thus change is inevitable.

I do agree however that a doomsday event idea is pretty cool. The idea of multiple nodes from all across the world to fight a giant Kraken or elder dragon is such a neat idea for me, especially if the server as a whole suffers if it fails or gets rewarded for doing it successfully. I'm sure the developers have great plans for this, and it's exciting just to think about.