Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

(Suggestion) Enchantments

Hello everyone,

I believe that if we are to have any sort of enchantment system, whether it would be for gears, enchanted potions etc. We should have a fail safe for those not so lucky.

What do I mean by this exactly?
Well, Its quite simple. For example if you are attempting to enchant/upgrade a weapon, and you fail. You are given a small bonus such as a 5% increased success rate "only" for that specific item. This would mean that the more failures you get during an upgrade/enchantment the higher your next attempt will be at success. And once you have successfully upgraded it, the bonus would reset and so on.

Thus making enchanting/upgrading fun for everyone.

Please let me know your thoughts on this matter, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks! :)

Comments

• RNG :(
  • i hate RNG, hate. when your spending a ton of in-game gold to make something or farming for mats, and it keeps breaking that really annoys me.

take away the rng for upgrading gear and make it harder to craft the mats required.

that being said @Grexsis your idea is better compared to other games systems at least your chances of a success would get higher.
  • For me it really depends on the crafting system, right now I get the vibe that its more like you "imbued" the items, and don't enchant them afterwards. So its more a part of the original crafting process.

If they go for a upgrade/enchant system kinda like BDO, then having a "fail-safe" seems like a good idea, otherwise it just ends up way to frustrating when RNG ***** you...
    But if its more like Skyrim, where you straight up enchant a regular weapon after its done crafting. Then it doesnt really need that, since its more of a straight approach. I don't really know if this makes sense, it does in my head ;)
  • What if gear while weraing would wear off, so you have to repair it (like always). But after reapairing it few times, it would get upgraded slightly. As if you are getting used to wear that specific part of gear. You are getting excelent at wielding a sword, you know by heart. @Grexsis if your suggestion were to happen I would like it, if you could get up to 100% sure upgrade after some fails. Usually in those systems we can see a limit to around 50% which is still too much rng for me.
  • [quote quote=2444]What if gear while wearing would wear off, so you have to repair it (like always). But after reapairing it few times, it would get upgraded slightly.
    [/quote]

like the gear had a XP bar of sorts, and each repair gave it x amount of xp, BUT if it broke completely the xp amount you have went down?
  • Well that is actually a pretty cool idea :D
  • Accumulator vs RNG.

The sad fact is RNG is supposed to work like an accumulator.
    In most games its thoroughly broken.
    Intentionally or not is a matter of opinion.

You are supposed to sequence through a finite list of jumbled numbers.
    At the end of the finite list it repeats.
    All numbers exists.
    That means at some point you shoudl be guaranteed to get what you want.

The problem is the RNG index is rarely stored and constantly reset by the system and others.
    Thus, you never see the full list of numbers, as someone else used them.
    The RNG sequence was interfered with and was corrupted.

Server side everything looks great because it tracks the gross RNG.
    Client side, from an individual point of view they wonder why some get everything and other nothing.
    The developer says...that RNG for you ..nudge, nudge...wink, wink
  • I'd prefer Time-Gated or super expensive/rare materials to enchant over RNG. This is only because my RNG is the worst. Would do 24 hour farming sessions and not get one piece of loot which statistically would take ~4 hours to get 1 of... But since I can dedicated 8-12 hours of gameplay a day I wouldn't cry about having an RNG based system that was a bit more forgiving like the one you described.
  • [quote quote=2445]<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbt-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/suggestion-enchantments/#post-2444" rel="nofollow">Kirssika wrote:</a></div>
    What if gear while wearing would wear off, so you have to repair it (like always). But after reapairing it few times, it would get upgraded slightly.

</blockquote>
    like the gear had a XP bar of sorts, and each repair gave it x amount of xp, BUT if it broke completely the xp amount you have went down?

[/quote]

So instead of levelling a generic armour skill covering all armour....you actually level a specific armour skill to reflect you getting used to it on a set by set basis ?

It could be a way to encourage sticking to very particular armour sets and in the process make everyone more unique.
    eg. It kills off the instant swap FoTM problem as you have to level up each armour set individually.
    Interesting.

Having 100s of types of armour sets would also be an excellent way to offer horizontal progression.
    It woudl make your armour set choice much more considered in regard to your build.
    But then again if it takes ages to level......but also decays....
  • Thanks for all the great suggestions and opinions everyone, I appreciate it. I'll be updating this soon. ^.^
  • I like the "exp gear" system you mention, but would it have a max and if so is it the same max for every armor piece in the game? Otherwise you might use one set of gear for your whole levelling period, but at then end you need to switch, since you can reach a higher max with the max level gear once it is level with you.

I really like the idea but how it would work is a big concern, like will everyone run around with level 1 gear that has been levelled? Or will everyone end up with max level gear anyway etc.

[quote quote=2481]I’d prefer Time-Gated or super expensive/rare materials to enchant over RNG. This is only because my RNG is the worst. Would do 24 hour farming sessions and not get one piece of loot which statistically would take ~4 hours to get 1 of… But since I can dedicated 8-12 hours of gameplay a day I wouldn’t cry about having an RNG based system that was a bit more forgiving like the one you described.
    [/quote]

Nah let it be straight RNG, mine is usually real good ;) (Seriously though, I agree completely).
  • i think the gear strength would vary depending on the level, i.e a level 1 fully leveled sword, wouldnt be as good as a level 10. etc
  • Bdo had too much rng just avoid that. Honestly i dont think u even need rng in enchanting gear, i mean you can already have it in the drops etc, im really afraid of too much rng ruining the game like in bdo.
  • I pass on RNG, I hate Archeage RNG weapon regrade system.

I would like to be able to craft what I want and how I want. Just make it cost more mats.
  • I'm a RNG hater(perma bad luck=/) so I agree with more mats requirements and no RNG!
  • [quote quote=2893]I’m a RNG hater(perma bad luck=/) so I agree with more mats requirements and no RNG!

[/quote]
    But more mats have to come from somewhere, so still some rng ;) In general though I like the more safe approach if its gonna be an upgrade system.
    As I mentioned before it could also be a straight up enchant system like Skyrim or the like. Then RNG is not a real problem, but some of the excitement might be lost.