Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Poll + Bonus Dev Discussion - Multiboxing

Comments

• CreoCreo Member
    I can see some issues with multiboxing, though until more information is out regarding how loot works, I'm not sure if this pertains to this subject.

If corruption is given to everybody in a party/group, then this would be great.

On the other hand, if loot is bound to character, and a multiboxer gets their other characters corrupted just to get loot from them, then that could be an abuse.

I'm not sure how that could be prevented, though, since you could still do that with a friend, or even pay people to destroy your character enough times in a remote location to get corrupted and then take them out for the chance at the loot.

So, I like the idea of the current stance on multiboxing, though that could change as we get more information on how the systems work.

Testing this in alpha would be a good place to see how it goes.

• ChunksChunks Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Multiboxing seems like it would subvert a lot of philosophies and design choices that are shaping the game to something that appeals to so many people. Personally, I don't think I have EVER seen a multiboxer that isn't using some script/botting and it's a headache.

With your test environments ahead, it'd be an opportunity to investigate and test it's impact more thoroughly so that you could have a firm stance on it in later test phases/approaching release.
  • Hystorix wrote: »
    Rhorden wrote: »
    Hystorix wrote: »
    Chillus wrote: »
    If everyone had the resources to multibox they would. There is no reason for me to not multibox if I had the money to spend on it, it provides an advantage to players who are able to commit the money to this game. If I want to spend my own money on this game then it should be on cosmetics or in-game sub time, not toward re-buying a sub to provide an advantage for my own personal use. Even though it is somewhat convoluted, this is a P2W system and does hurt the integrity of the game. Solo players who don't have extra money to spend on the game are especially hurt by multiboxing. The only good to multiboxing I see is that if you are desperate to preform better solo and you have the money, you can achieve that, but by that same coin you take away part of the social aspect of the mmo.

Umm I am retired at 48 having sold my companies ... I have very little worries about monies ... I have multi boxed ... and it’s purpose is not advantage ... most times it’s to avoid lfg and wasting time you have to game ... I could multi Box any games I play without a second thought to costs ... but have not Since I retired because I have the time to form groups and play for longer periods ... so your entire premise is debunked

On top of that most people could afford another 15 dollars a month to box a second account if they wanted you act as if most gamers are broke

Multi boxing is not the most fun way to play ... it just saves a heck of a lot of time from not hoping to be able to put a group together in a limited amount of gaming time ... or it’s just fun to piddle around doing what you want without worrying about wasting others time or hearing them complain you are not a meta bui,d

Just an observation.
    You stated " I have multi boxed ... and it’s purpose is not advantage ... most times it’s to avoid lfg"

Umm, wouldn't the ability to run a dungeon when you want and not have to go through lfg to get a group be an advantage?I DISAGREE COMPLETELY WITH YOU ... RUNNING A DUNGEON WAY WAY SLOWER THAN A REAL GROUP IS FINE IF YOU CANT GET A FULL GROUP AND ENJOY THE CONTENT WITH OTHERS ... THATS MY OPINION

Also if this game isn't going to have lfg wouldn't multiboxing be that much more of an advantage? I DO NOT SEE HOW YOU THINKS ITS AN ADVANTAGE TO NOT GET TOMRUN WITH REAL PEOPLE AND ENJOY IT WITH OTHERS ... RUNNING A DUNGEON IS INFINITELY MORE FUNNWITH OTHERS IN GROUP CHAT.

Also "Multi boxing is not the most fun way to play" then you say "or it’s just fun to piddle around doing what you want"
    So it is or is not fun? I STAND BY THAT ... ITS NOT A CONTRIDICTION LIKE YOUR TRYING TO INSINUATE... IMHO THE MIST FUN WAY TOMOLAY AN MMOMIS WITH A FULL GROUP,OR RAID OR OTHER REAL LIFE PEOPLE ... SOMETIMES LATE AT NIGHTNORMOFF DAYS FROM YOUR REGULAR GROUP,ITS MORE FUN THAN WATCHING TV OR MOWING A YARD TO RUNNAROUND THENGAME PIDDLING WITH YIUR MULTIBOX SETUP NOT BOTHERING ANYONE ELSE ... DOESNT MEAN ITS MORE FUN THAN WITHNOTHER REAL PEOPLE

During my time multiboxing I found it pretty fun THATS GREAT BUT IMHO ITS NOT MORE FUN THAN OTHER REAL PEOPLE and to be a huge advantage. TOTALLY DISAGREE A FULL GROUP CAN CLEAR INFINATELYNFASTER AND GARNER MORE REWARDS OVER MONTHS OF PLAY PERIOD ... I QUESTION TA THIS POINT IF YOU MULTIBOXED SERIOUSLY AT ALL

What any one person could do, I could do considerably faster or far more profitable. your semantics there is cute ... you said one person not another whole group of real people ... just stop

As far as fun goes, it's been my experience when someone is doing something voluntarily in a leisure activity that isn't fun, they do not continue to do it. NOWHERE DID IMEVER SAY IT WAS NOT FUN .. ITS JUST MORE FUN AND PROFITABLE AND TIME SAVING TO BE IN A REAL GROUP... DONT TWIST THINGS

Being able to run a dungeon when you want and to not have to look for a group when the game is based on finding other people to run with and having to wait while the group is assembled IS and advantage. It is literally having a premade group on constant standby.
    Also if you think running a dungeon is WAY slower than a real group then you were doing it wrong. With the right set up you should be able to be faster than the average group of regular players. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=wow+multiboxer+dungeon+speed+run&&view=detail&mid=3CD85D5B5A45C2C3EA4E3CD85D5B5A45C2C3EA4E&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=/videos/search?q=wow+multiboxer+dungeon+speed+run&FORM=HDRSC3
    You can google plenty more examples.

I have no idea what you were trying to say in your third paragraph response.

You completely missed the point of the comparison plus you took it out of context to try to make your point look better.
    It isn't semantics it's simple mathematics - XP vs ttk / number of characters in group. Someone multiboxing will be able to kill mobs faster which equals more xp in less time. Sure they have to split it but then it boils down to the time it takes to kill a mob while accounting for the number of characters in the group and the amount of xp given. When you are multiboxing 5 characters and can one shot everything you come across, including other players, that xp racks up faster than a group of 5 players running after their own mobs.

Your last comment about fun, profitability and time saving -
    Fun? That is completely opinion based and as such is irrelevant but I was curious as to where you were trying to go with that. After reading whatever it was you were trying to write I no longer care.
    More profitable and time saving? Rewatch that video I posted.

At this point I seriously doubt you are honest about much at all. You say you are 48, have had multiple companies yet you can't write at basic 5th grade level? Normally I am the last to come at anyone about spelling and grammar because everyone makes typos and what they are trying to get across is usually picked up pretty easy. What you wrote, however, is not only hard to read but the prequalification to your age, you having businesses and the insinuation that you are an experienced individual that should be taken seriously is ludicrous. That coupled with the all caps response makes me think you are part of the cancel culture trying to scream down someone you disagree with, a move typically reserved for the smoothest of brains. If you want a civil discourse then try sticking to the facts and getting your point across clearly so the substance of your verbal volley actually lands and has a chance to convey what was intended. If you have something to say try laying it out methodically, not some cherry picked responses with some nonsensical drivel.
  • PowurshotPowurshot Member, Intrepid Pack
    Put simply; multi-boxing is pay to win. I can't tell you the number of times a multi-boxer was able to achieve something or get to a resource ahead of me because they paid for additional accounts. Instead of me competing for resources against another player fairly; I'm unable to compete because that player is followed by 3 mages that are auto clearing everything in their path. They paid money for an advantage over other players who can't and that is the definition of pay to win.

Please don't allow it.
    I took the poll thank you. It's what spurred this post :)
  • powurshot wrote: »

Then there's no need to start yet another thread. Keep it to the Megathread.
    PS. Steven is the man. Can't wait to play whatever his decision ends up being.
  • This is coming from a hardcore L2 player who would multibox the shit out of the game. DON'T ALLOW IT!

If you do, of course i will abuse it, but who wouldn't? It is something that can make you ahead of other players, I can get myself a full party going without the need to actually interact with other players. Bard will become a useless class because everyone will multi box one. This is just an obvious one, but I get the idea that you may have more than 1 person per household. I think that you should put a rule that any obvious multi boxing will be banable. So if someone is using the same IP address, the GM should get a flag to look at this player. This will reduce drastically any abuse of this issue.
    powurshot wrote: »

Then there's no need to start yet another thread. Keep it to the Megathread.

It's called discussing it. Are you a moderator? I'll post whatever I want to discuss with other players. This is general discussion.
  • The point of a megathread is to prevent new threads being created every day about very common topics that are still being discussed.

It's called being considerate.
  • PreacherPreacher Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited September 2020
    So, I am not sure if this falls under this. From the way it reads, I am going to say it does. I have played about everything under the sun when it has come to MMO's.
    I have pretty much always bought 2 accounts. 1 is my main and another is usually a mule account to hold items or whatever.

I have always logged into both accounts on one computer to trade items, but never played them together as in adventure or go exp with both. So with the way this reads, I am not going to be able to log in 2 accounts to trade items? Even if I do not "play" them both? That seems like a shame to me. I do agree with the multi-boxing to go out and adventure, but not if it means I can not even use my accounts to trade items and whatnot.
    If you troll my post again you'll be flagged. The megathread is for the devs not the players. Mods can move me if and when they want. NO ONE is reading through 25 pages of posts before they vote and I wanted to bring my experience to voters attention.

Stop trolling me.
  • Flag me bro.

TIL that honest and informative responses are trolling.
    Stop trolling me.

You have no idea what trolling is, do you?
    Stop trolling me.

You have no idea what trolling is, do you?

Don't man!

HE Will FLAG YOU!

And then what will you do?
  • To be honest I personally think that you can have servers that allow both and ones that only have one or the other. Off record.. I highly preach for a first person view in a MMO.. I know many who has wished for this option or mode and I think it is an amazing thing to be able to combine different POV to change the experience and difficulty of the game. By having both FPV servers and Third person, both seperate or combined would be really cool! Pls tell me what you think about FPV in MMO’s.

Best regards Cadde.
  • I am a computer tech with his thoughts: I am looking to build a dual user computer, something like Linus Tech Tips did in a recent video that is very easy to find on the youtubes. My wife and I have a very small space for our computer equipment, she's currently using a 4th Gen i7 based notebook for EverQuest2 while I have a standard desktop, and we'd like to upgrade our capability. We also have two kids that we'd like to introduce to MMO's soon. That will sometimes be up to three accounts, maybe four if both got into the game, online at the same time. Two accounts would be on the same physical machine with virtualized systems. Modern technology, and space constraints, make it possible to have even 8 people use the same machine.

I wouldn't want to be on a "multi-box" server as a lot of multiboxers farm, use automated technology, and/or cause economy problems. On the other hand I have had friends 2-box without automated assistance quite well and were a lot of fun to group with. Ban the cheaters and the multi-box gold farmers, don't make it hard/impossible for a group/family on one IP to play this gorgeous MMO.
  • i think the Intrepid solution is a good one.
    does someone know how the intrepid solution works with virtual maschines?

theoretically I could run several virtual machines on one computer and run the game once in each VM. this could trick the software that is supposed to prevent multiple executions of the game on one computer. are there any solutions to prevent this?
    Questions? all available info about AoC can be found here:
    AoC Wiki
    tech support
    FAQ Channel AoC Discord
    AoC Support&FAQ Forum
    USE THE FORUM SEARCH BAR ;)

no answer found? ask here:
    Ask a Question
  • MahesMahes Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am all for not allowing any form of multi-boxing. It takes away from the dynamic of the game.

Why should a player care about groups if they can just solo the dungeon. If you are going to allow for multi-boxing, then allow me the advantage of becoming as strong as an entire group combined and soloing the same dungeon. This way the game eventually becomes a nice solo game where player interaction is only required for raids....maybe.
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Show me a person who can solo a dungeon without using any automation hardware / software and on separate computers, and I will say that person deserves to get the rewards.

Please remember this thread is talking about multiboxing, not botting. Botting is against the terms of service.
  • SaukoSauko Member
    Players may not use any software to automate character actions or mimic keystrokes.

And what about the hardware? I can buy multiple PC's and switch.

I do not care about the multiboxing as long as only 1 person can farm a certain ore, tree or fishing spot for example.
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In L2, I managed to run 3 accounts on one 14 inch laptop without any automated software quite well.
    For main plus two support classes. PvP, just focussed on main and forfeited the support classes every time.

Done for two reasons

1) So I could play at any time I chose with immediate start up solo.
    2) So I could initiate group play at any time and have the key non-popular support classes in party on tap.

I would always bench my boxed account for a live player.

Now, I hope that AoC ends up gaining a well varied choice of player classes so the above issue(s) don`t raise themselves again.

And I hope that playing in large, medium and small groups and/or solo stay as vaible as they currently appear to be.

I also hope to be able to box on the same pc or laptop if have to, so that another household member might be able to play intermittently if they chose.
  • To be honest, I understand why people used multi boxing in certain MMOs. For example, in Lineage 2, certain people used their Main and then a character or two that provided 'buffs' to the main character. I am 50/50 on it.

On one hand, if a person is a casual player and does not have a constant group to play with, then it helps them to have support characters to follow. However, it removes a lot of social interactions and the ability and/or need to find people to play with.

I'd worry for example that in Ashes, people would use several characters to facilitate their crafting needs by maxing out all professions on different characters, but to be honest, that could probably be done without a need to log them all in at the same time.

Overall though, I worry the most about bots and gold/account sellers. Those are the things that destroyed a lot of MMOs in the past.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    haha. Currently, it's the gold givers we need to worry about; not the gold sellers.
    Some of us on Resna are running around with 2 billion gold!!!
  • Dygz wrote: »
    haha. Currently, it's the gold givers we need to worry about; not the gold sellers.
    Some of us on Resna are running around with 2 billion gold!!!

:D
  • GrihmGrihm Member
    Multiboxing get a no from me. I really do not see any reason to do it at all, and if you want several characters, make an alt.
  • MagnumwoodMagnumwood Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How do we win if the multiboxers vote
  • why is it people seem to get the idea multiboxing is bad? somehow people have this idea that multiboxers are all gold farmers or bots?

we are not. we are players and just like in any community there are bad actors who specifically want to ruin the game ecconomy for their own profit.

i think its a little unfair to generalize and say we are all bad and should be shut out of the game when there are streamers who cause more trouble within games for others than any multiboxer does.
    there are situations where streamers have blatently said on stream "i have friends working for X company, you are going to get banned" and then a day or two later they are banned for silly things like "botting" because the streamer wanted to quest in the area where the multiboxer was questing so instead of peacefully questing in the same area or asking if they can jump in and get their quest done they asked their 40k+ viewers to report someone for "botting" and the multiboxer was banned within 48 hours. (it was not me who was banned)

this does not mean streamers shouldnt be allowed to play the game just because 1 streamer or a group of streamers did something naferious.

i also feel like its a bit unfair to discriminate against lower income earners who cannot afford to spend money on multiple pc's and hardware infrastructure inorder to play multiple accounts, this is just a paywall which makes no sence at all, its like saying "we are going to build a park for all the people in the world, its going to have all the stuff you would want at a park, there is just a $5000 entry fee", why? what does limiting 1 account per pc do? i mean other than shut out a vast majority of the multiboxing community.
    after paying for the game and then paying a monthly subscription for the accounts and then paying for "expansions" which is more often than not just a way to make people pay for content they already payed for it becomes to much to be expected to buy more hardware.

unfortunatly due to the hardware requirement for multiboxing i wont be able to afford to pay for the game and the subscriptions and the hardware upgrade so im saving my money for the next game hoping eventually we get a game dev that has an open mind and does not just paywall most of us out of the game before we even have a chance to play.
  • Arthus DawnbreakerArthus Dawnbreaker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited July 2021
    Im more concerned with making multiple characters. As long as I can create more than one character so i can try all the classes and races and maybe dive into other servers for alternative story and community development opportunities i'm good. But i believe Intrepid's current position on this is fine with me.