Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Advanced graphic features for the upcoming video cards releasing soon

Does the AoC game engine have advanced graphic features support on the next generation of video cards? Raytracing? DLSS? What does Ashes plan on supporting in regards of start of the art hardware?
I realize that MMO's like to cater to the lowest common denominator of hardware to allow the largest player base possible (which is a GOOD thing, as a larger base makes for a better social gaming experience), but will AoC support advanced graphics for those of us who love to have high end hardware that support amazing looking effects that modern video cards are bringing to the visual experience? Immersion can be enhanced with good spell effects and buildings with good texture mapping, for instance.

Comments

• VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think they have said that they are going to have ray-tracing, but they do have it as a possibility with the current engine. As for DLSS I think that is up to Nvidia. Unless I misunderstand the tech. Nvidia uses its own super computer to make DLSS work. I think they are going to pick and choose what games can use DLSS. I would imagine that it is something they are going to use to make deals with triple A developers. I don't think the average game is going to have DLSS.

Right now it is just too soon to tell. To be honest, I don't care about ray-tracing or DLSS. I got the RTX2070 launch month, and have not been impressed with anything the card can do other than RTX voice. It is to the point that if AMDs new card has no special features, but gives me a decent FPS upgrade for the price than I will buy AMD this time and keep my 2070 in as a sound card. RTX voice is really good at fixing peoples shitty audio on discord.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Considering that these two features are going to become more and more important in the coming years, I don't think that its too presumptuous to assume that they will exist in AoC as well.
  • I'm new to AoC TBH, as I just rediscovered that it even existed (seen mention of it in the past, but it was long ago, and no where near a launch date), but I am excited to see it, and was just curious about the ability of the game engine. What features of fairly recent graphics hardware DOES it support, etc.
    Even from what I have seen from Apha gameplay, I am impressed, and again, excited by the visuals, as well as the incredible game mechanics! I simply cannot wait :smile: !
  • @Dejavoodoo

It uses the Unreal Engine. Its a pretty fucking good engine.
  • CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Dejavoodoo

I have no qualms about UE4, it looks great. Of course there is an UE5 now which I can only assume will look great-er?

That being said, please remember that this game will not require bleeding edge graphics cards to run (when it releases) and you should be ok on any average, current card. So asking for features like ray tracing that is only JUST starting to gain support on the video card is not something the majority of player will have. I say that but in 2 years when this releases, that's 2 more iterations of cards so who knows.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • AardvarkAardvark Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 2020
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    CaptnChuck wrote: »
    @Dejavoodoo

I have no qualms about UE4, it looks great. Of course there is an UE5 now which I can only assume will look great-er?

That being said, please remember that this game will not require bleeding edge graphics cards to run (when it releases) and you should be ok on any average, current card. So asking for features like ray tracing that is only JUST starting to gain support on the video card is not something the majority of player will have. I say that but in 2 years when this releases, that's 2 more iterations of cards so who knows.

250vs250 is going to need either a good card or some massively ugly low settings
  • 2 years is more like 1 iteration for graphics cards. In 2 years, they should release the 4000 (?) series around that time. But, I did say that they do make MMOs hardware requirements for the lowest common denominator to gain the largest player base. I guess I was wondering if there was any plans to support the new features that the newer cards support. But if the game engine is on an older version, it may not even support it to begin with (unlikely). Still, the newer graphics cards will provide great rasterization performance either way, due to increased horsepower on the newest family of cards.
    I only upgrade every other release (currently 1080 next will be a 3080) on my graphics cards and every 4-5 years on my CPU/MB, so I'll be "behind" a generation when Ashes releases, but I see no problem with running the game at that time. I'll still be ahead of the lowest common denominator.
    Anyways, it's a great time to be a PC gamer for sure, we are treated to incredible visuals and gameplay, with a high emphasis on immersion! Game on !!