Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Depth of Combat Mechanics With 3 Quotes

FireckFireck Member
edited September 2020 in Support & FAQ
Question 1 with reflection:

Will bosses and other enemies have "Stagger" like a mechanic that stuns and makes them vulnerable for increased damage after their gauge is full? If this type of mechanic is taken into account, is it also possible to add some depth to it that enables forging the increased damage even further during the stun phase, like from 130% increased damage to 150% with the right measures?
  • The staggering doesn't have to make things easier, but to give players something to aim for during a battle other than staring at the enemy's HP bar alone. This would encourage players to hone some new strategies because it's fun - focusing on enemies' vital points that credit the player with butter during a battle is a good way to go. However, I do believe that the stagger-like mechanic could be more valid and meaningful in moments when dealing with damage in numbers, which follows the MMO collaboration script. Some stuns could only be accessible that depends on the enemy and its difficulty associated with a variety of damage.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 2 with reflection:
Is there going to be an in-game resource for learning information about an enemy and potentially how to defeat it?
  • Basically, the more you encounter enemies, the more information the player gathers about weaknesses and ways to defeat them. If a player is having trouble with a particular monster, he/she should have in-game knowledge for quick reading to see if they have other tactics they can use.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Question 3 with reflection:
Are there different stages or behaviors that enemies act upon based on their health?
  • I believe when enemies feel weaker they begin to fear which will make them more dangerous. If some weakness is being exploited too frequently, the enemy will try to protect it after its HP has dropped by a certain amount.
  • For example, it is said that a whimsical big blue dragon opens its a weak point in the chest that can only be hit close at right position with a sword or by far with a bow/magic. When the weak spot is exploited and the enemy is knocked down by a stunning effect, it tends to either fly or do something else to protect its weakness next time. This way, the enemies don’t seem to be simpletons, falling into the same tricks over and over again. This type of combat makes the battle more interesting forcing players to adapt during the battle and making communication more relevant.
Questions 1, 2, and 3 should be discussed together as they support each other’s ideas and functionality that also support the skill and knowledge that is required from a player.

Comments

• And sorry for adding the questions into Support & FAQ category, but I couldn't pick anything else with my browser.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    1. The last video of gameplay we were shown did have enemies that got knocked down - not sure the exact mechanics of it though.

3. Steven has said they plan for boss abilities and AI difficulty to increase depending on how efficient you are (and consequently, better drops for killing a harder boss)

I don't know anything about 2.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    1. The last video of gameplay we were shown did have enemies that got knocked down - not sure the exact mechanics of it though.

3. Steven has said they plan for boss abilities and AI difficulty to increase depending on how efficient you are (and consequently, better drops for killing a harder boss)

I don't know anything about 2.

Thanks for your answer. I hope we will get more answers soon enough.
  • FireckFireck Member
    edited September 2020
    Really? Maybe I missed the indicators. Maybe it was ability-based stun, aka basic ability? With my 1st question, I mean more like a reward-based mechanic.

• I really like the idea of enemies have some critical spot for player to aim at some specific time. It will make the combat more fun and increase the depth of combat mechanic for sure.
    I used to play open world mmorpg which the world boss always get kill by just standind near their feet and spam the same combo over and over until their HP bar run out. "Not a good experience" I could say like that
  • edited September 2020
    Hey there! It looks like a few folks got you some helpful answers above in terms of places we may have already covered some of these topics, and I'd recommend sharing any of your follow-up questions that weren't answered in an upcoming live stream Q&A thread like this one!

As "Question" post types are only enabled in our Support & FAQ forums so that folks can mark when their question is answered, that is likely why if you selected "Ask A Question" it defaulted to this section :smiley: Since we're unable to move Question threads once they're posted as they're not enabled in other sections, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread out now, but please feel free to open a new follow-up one in the General Discussion section if you'd like to continue chatting about this topic in further detail!
    community_management.gif
This discussion has been closed.