Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sorry About Your Tea

After hours of examining old documents and records near the rich, warm light of the fireplace, I come across one that I had saved from years past. I saved it because of my desire to continue my early travails in trade, after many missteps and failures. Though, after all these years and aging memories, I had nearly forgotten about it! I’ve been living in this beautiful mansion, given to me by Lord Barenger himself, since I managed to sneak in some much-needed grains and wood during The Third Dalcian Siege. After it was broken and we finally had peace, the new Lord appointed me as his Minister of Provisions and offered me an estate of his near the palace.

But this one letter has always brought me back to my beginnings; it has always reminded me how I came to help build this place and bring fortune and stability to my countrymen. I open it slowly, my hands now shaking from age and use.

<blockquote>Greetings Mr. Gregor,

It is with great displeasure that I must inform you of the events involving your goods that were being transported by caravan from the village of Twine to the city of New Dalcia. On or about the 14th of November, the caravan, nearing halfway in its journey, was set upon by a large and murderous gang of bandits adorned with purple sashes. These men are known to us, but New Dalcia has not been able to help our small settlement with the aid we’ve requested. The caravan master did survive and he informed me that your shipment was completely lost. He also told me that you said your entire fortune was in that shipment, thus explaining this personal letter. I regret that we could not protect your goods, but I hope that your tradesman spirit is not broken by this immense loss. Please accept my offer of dinner, at my home, so that we may speak further about the future of Twine and how we may adapt in these frightful times. I’m so very sorry about your tea.

With humble regard,
Ian Barenger, Second Councilman of Twine</blockquote>

I smile and fold the letter gently, holding it for a few moments, before casting it into the fire. I have no need for this anymore. Twine is now a stoic metropolis, and I’m an old man. Soon these responsibilities will pass to the younger folk here, so that they can make their own misfortunes and save their own letters. I pause for a few moments to give thanks to whoever may be listening, then take another slow sip of my tea.

----

<strong>About this short</strong>: I wanted to do something that captured what I feel is a central component of the vision of AoC, which is dedication. I'm not a very good writer, although I love to do it. And I do it mostly as an outlet for random creative thoughts I have, not for any personal gain. I'm looking forward to other stories on here, so keep those creative juices flowing!

Comments

• Options
    I absolutely LOVED your short story, Mad! It was elegant, concise, yet packed with <strong>feel</strong><em>! I do so hope you continue to regale us with further tales!
  • Options
    Wow, thank you for the kind words! I will probably come up with something again in the near future.
  • Options
    Excellent piece sir.

Short and to the point not a lot of people can get that clear image of backstory from such sort words but i think you hit it almost perfectly.

Congratulations and keep up the good work.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/sorry-about-your-tea/#post-20567">kkrazlite wrote:</a></div>Excellent piece sir.

Short and to the point not a lot of people can get that clear image of backstory from such sort words but i think you hit it almost perfectly.

Congratulations and keep up the good work.

</blockquote>

That's very nice of you to say! Thank you!
  • Options
    Was fun featuring your story in Anthology. Share with your friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfVgABAVveE