Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Additional Processing Artisan Classes?

Hello all,

I was reading through what we know on a lot of artisan classes and it seems the processing profession is more lacking than the other two so I wondered what all your thoughts were on what potential additional processing classes might be. I may not be aware of some other info that's been released but on the wiki they only have smelting and animal husbandry.

Here are a few ideas I came up with:

Lumber Milling: processing trees into usable lumber and parchment

Butchery/Tanning: processing animals into meat for cooking, hides and leather for crafting and miscellaneous animal-based products such as bowstrings or instrument components

Weaving/Spinning: processing plant fibers into cloth, rope and canvas for sails

What are some ideas y'all have regarding the processing profession?

Comments

• AnansiLostChildrenAnansiLostChildren Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There's some ideas at the bottom of this poll: https://www.strawpoll.me/20816299/r
    They include Weaving, Tanning, Gem Cutting, Milling, ingredient processing (either for alchemy or cooking), and farming may be a processing path as well. So you are thinking down the same path as most of the community.
  • I looked pretty heavily through the threads on this topic and from what I've seen most of the community is on board with adding more processing professions as well as making sure the design is such that those professions do not become obsolete from a standpoint of everyone and their mother just has a lvl 1 alt to process all their goods. The specifics of such are up in the air, but given the levels of support I would expect dev work/releases on that front sometime in the future. Maybe we'll get more info in the upcoming stream :)
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    They already conformed, that there will be more processing classes.
    We still dont know though what they could be^^
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • I think those would all be great additions!
  • The list you see right now is only the professions that have been hard confirmed.
    There will be plenty more to come before release
    53ap2sc6pdgv.gif
  • This thread deserves some merit. We don't know anything about the artisan system.

Perhaps some crafters have ideas, they'd like to share, as Intrepid is keen on "our" concepts and ideas. 😁

• GeronimoGeronimo Member
    edited October 2020
    F4RCE wrote: »
    Weaving/Spinning: processing plant fibers into cloth, rope and canvas for sails

I like the idea of ship building being a multi-profession endeavor, it should also require some work from the blacksmith I imagine.

Adding Tanning, Spinning, Wood Milling and Farming to the existing processing (Animal Husbandry and Smelting) would give us 6 Processing which is at least more than the 5 Gathering.

I also think there are some of the 10 crafting professions that could / should be merged like (Blacksmithing, Weapon Smithing and Armor Smithing) or (Carpentry, Ship Building, Siege Weapons).

Enchanting should be somewhere in there too, we have a whole wiki page about it but it does not show up at all on the lists. I imagine that would also be Crafting.

Adding Enchanting and removing some of things that seem duplicate gives us 7 Crafting:

1. Alchemy
    2. Blacksmithing
    3. Carpentry
    4. Cooking
    5. Enchanting
    6. Jewel crafting
    7. Scribes

That helps to make the tree a little more balanced with 5 Gathering, 6 Processing and 7 Crafting.

At the same time however it might be wise to have way more Crafting professions then Gathering or Processing because it would make these more tedious (less interesting IMO) professions more relevant.

My ideas on the professions, just playing the World of AoC Theory Craft here...
  • I like the idea of ship building being a multi-profession endeavor, it should also require some work from the blacksmith I imagine.
    To be technical, all of the artisan classes are supposed to require items/crafts from the other artisans. At least from what I have hard from Steven speaking on the subject.

I would like to see more fantasy-based artisan classes tbh.

What about an Extractor? People who specialize in taking the magical essence from items and materials, basically making components mainly for the enchanting class to use but also to purify materials for the other classes. For instance you get some corrupted iron ore, the Extractor can take it, extract the magic, and then it becomes purified iron ore a special material for certain makes and crafts.

Ill respond again if i think of another artisan class im drawing blanks after the first suggestion.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • While this thread I created is a few months old, it's very relevant to the conversation.

isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    PlagueMonk wrote: »
    While this thread I created is a few months old, it's very relevant to the conversation.

Oh look an old thread that is still practical who knew
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • D'oh, I was skim-reading and thought this said "Artisan Cheeses". Slightly disappointed, now.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • In the Gatherer artisan's. path, I see no clothes material-gathering skill listed in the AOC Wiki. Any 1 have the info on Jute collecting, cotton gathering and lotus silk harvesting will be categorized under which profession? A new "Harvesting" (different from lumberjack which focuses on woodworking, harvesting conceptually focuses on fruits, seed, grass stem etc.) profession should be relevant.

But will there be a controversy if silk is obtained by silks worm "Taming" instead?

Furthermore, will animal pelts and hide automatically dropped and looted after mobs killing or require players to have a "Skinning" profession to obtain the rawhides?

And "harvest" and "skinning' also can produce the raw material for scribing talisman or magic scroll (assumption).

Hopefully in all gathering profession not only have skills on gathering material according to profession level but also cover skills like:-
    1. Keen eyes ( spotting relevant material)
    2. Expertise ( rewarding gatherer with quality improving material during material gathering process, e.g. miner with Expertise able to mine sandstone (tempering material) together with iron ore (basic material). sandstone can then be smelt into grinding stone and use to improve common/normal quality armor/weapon smithed into better quality armor/weapon)
    3. Tools Proficiency (better material drop rate)
    4. Farming (for herbalism, harvesting, taming only, allow to grow crops, herbs, fruit etc. and breeding tamed monster/livestock)

I read through some really interesting ideas which I'd love to see in-game such as including "Tanning", "Weaving/Felting", "Sawmilling" and "Lapidary (gem cutting)". Adding "Refinery" for processing ingredient like solvents and powder for alchemy and cooking from raw material gathered can make the system better balanced.

7 Gathering profession:-
    1. Herbalism
    2. Mining
    3. Lumberjack
    4. Fishing
    5. Taming
    6. Skinning
    7. Harvesting

7 Processing profession:-
    1. Animal Husbandry
    2. Smelting
    3. Tanning
    4. Weaving/Felting
    5. Sawmilling
    6. Lapidary
    7. Refinery

7 Crafting profession:-
    1. Alchemy
    2. Blacksmithing
    3. Clothing
    4. Carpentry
    5. Jewelry
    6. Cooking
    7. Scribe
    Sathrago wrote: »
    I like the idea of ship building being a multi-profession endeavor, it should also require some work from the blacksmith I imagine.
    To be technical, all of the artisan classes are supposed to require items/crafts from the other artisans. At least from what I have hard from Steven speaking on the subject.

I would like to see more fantasy-based artisan classes tbh.

What about an Extractor? People who specialize in taking the magical essence from items and materials, basically making components mainly for the enchanting class to use but also to purify materials for the other classes. For instance you get some corrupted iron ore, the Extractor can take it, extract the magic, and then it becomes purified iron ore a special material for certain makes and crafts.

Ill respond again if i think of another artisan class im drawing blanks after the first suggestion.

Essence extracting and enchanting are good ideas as well. Besides enchanting weapon, I remember there are some MMO(s) that uses trapped soul or magic essence to charge their weapons enchantment.
  • While I agree we need some variety of professions in the artisan system I think we should focus on making the professions we already have an interesting and engaging activity instead of a chore before thinking on new ones.

Gathering (chopping trees, mining ores, herb collecting) is fine as it is....the fun of gathering resources is exploring the world and fighting creatures to reach to the gathering place, not the activity itself so it should be fast and uneventful, maybe a little qte to spice it up but that's it.

Crafting in the other hand, since is something you do mainly on your freehold, I think it should feel like you are actually crafting something, it should be an interesting multi step processes with different branching paths depending on what you want to make and it should be time consuming, if you can burn trough all your resources in 1 minute the activity wouldn't be engaging.

Processing in the other hand, I feel it should work like a middle of the road profession, it wont be as braindead as a gathering profession but wont be as complex as crafting
  • Hiya! Sounds like some folks already steered ya in the right direction in this thread; we'll be sharing more details on the specifics of the different artisan classes and what's available as we get closer to having you help us test them!
    Kneczhevo wrote: »
    Perhaps some crafters have ideas, they'd like to share, as Intrepid is keen on "our" concepts and ideas. 😁

You know it! <3 keep sharing those awesome processing ideas!
    community_management.gif