Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Map Size...the long walk

Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
After seeing a vids and questions about how big is the actual map and how long it will take to cross it? Here is a vid with a toon running across the Just Cause 3 map. Total time is just under 3 hours. A toon walking across the map took almost 8 hours. This map us just under a 100 sq kilometers less than Verra.
Verra is going to be massive! I cant wait!
https://youtu.be/88QOgCEQQuM

Comments

• daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited October 2020
    3 hours, eh? Takes me nicely to the end of the "working" day! Nice one!

And 8 hours for tomorrow! You spoil me!!!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Well hopefully there won't be teleports to mess that :joy:
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • JesusHealYouJesusHealYou Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Fuck long walks no one have time for that
  • travel time and distance are supposed to matter in this game, you don't need to take unnecesary foot walks instead upgrade your mount to travel the world faster and be smart of picking your farm spots
    “Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil.”

― Plato
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Tragnar yeah, was only pointing out to the people saying the world isn't going to be big enough. This world will be more than big enough and to spare, considering the Underealm is a little over 100 sq km as well.
  • rogonja wrote: »

stay at your place.
  • Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    rogonja wrote: »

stay at your place.

I know it took me a while to understand this but Ehrgeiz is right though. But another point is you don't necessarily have to go to other parts of the map. Sure there is going to be other dungeons and raids in other areas but as far as leveling goes you don't have to travel to other areas for higher areas. Steven has already said as the the nodes level up they will continue to grow in difficulty as the node progresses. Not to mention as well with the caravan system you can essentially trade for materials that don't spawn in your area. Once you get tired of your area then you can move and the amount of depth that brings into the game will keep you playing for ages. Definitely looking forward to the bigger map.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Leveling - See "Zones and Progression"
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »

Haha, I'd happily have that on repeat during an 8 hour walk across Verra.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

Haha, I'd happily have that on repeat during an 8 hour walk across Verra.

I did that in Skyrim just for the hell of it
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited October 2020
    Ashes-map-size.jpg

Skyrim Top left and GTA 5 bottom left.

Unsure if this is accurate, just something I found and saved to put into my guilds discord.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As fascinating as that all is, keep in mind that just knowing the size of the world in KMs doesn't help us gain a good sense of the size of the world. For that we also need the scale of the world (since hardly any game uses a 1:1 ratio) and the movement speed of your character.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • As fascinating as that all is, keep in mind that just knowing the size of the world in KMs doesn't help us gain a good sense of the size of the world. For that we also need the scale of the world (since hardly any game uses a 1:1 ratio) and the movement speed of your character.

Hmm when Steven talks about 480km² it always seems to be in a game play context, not a lore context...so I always figured it was a 1:1 ratio.
  • Seems small I want to die irl b4 I can walk around an island. Lmao
  • Bricktop wrote: »
    Ashes-map-size.jpg

Unsure if this is accurate, just something I found and saved to put into my guilds discord.

There's no way we have 9 Skyrims in map size, plus underrealm and water content. I mean I would be happy if it is.
  • Marcet wrote: »
    Bricktop wrote: »
    Ashes-map-size.jpg

There's no way we have 9 Skyrims in map size, plus underrealm and water content. I mean I would be happy if it is.

Pretty sure the 480 figure includes ocean, since we'll be having some decent naval content, so don't just look at the landmass size.
  • RavmarRavmar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    I'm looking forward to a game with little fast travel and flying. Verra will feel even bigger that way!
  • I can't remember the name, but there was a game that I played many years ago where the main method of speeding up travel times was via deployable gliders that had a cooldown, and so often times the fastest way to get somewhere was not to go directly there, but to first scale a mountain or other tall terrain and then glide down. I'm curious if gliding mounts in AoC will work similarly where it can be faster to take an indirect route up a mountain instead of just running straight to your destination.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Irohnic wrote: »
    I can't remember the name, but there was a game that I played many years ago where the main method of speeding up travel times was via deployable gliders that had a cooldown, and so often times the fastest way to get somewhere was not to go directly there, but to first scale a mountain or other tall terrain and then glide down. I'm curious if gliding mounts in AoC will work similarly where it can be faster to take an indirect route up a mountain instead of just running straight to your destination.

Oh I like this idea!!
    It means Verra will need more verticality than your standard MMO though.
    I keep referring to it, but Genshin Impact has the Zelda BotW gliding system and their world is vertically dynamic:
    4ce60f966ccdc2624df776d96f73e787.jpg

When I was exploring to unlock waypoints, I would always climb the highest peak near me and glide from there.
    I gotta say though, this only works because the game has no mounts and your walking speed is slow compared to gliding speed.
    In AoC, I think travelling by land mount could end up being faster than scaling a mountain and gliding.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Irohnic wrote: »
    I can't remember the name, but there was a game that I played many years ago where the main method of speeding up travel times was via deployable gliders that had a cooldown, and so often times the fastest way to get somewhere was not to go directly there, but to first scale a mountain or other tall terrain and then glide down. I'm curious if gliding mounts in AoC will work similarly where it can be faster to take an indirect route up a mountain instead of just running straight to your destination.

Archeage? Used to love gliding in that game it felt so good.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Far Cry 2 had gliders as well.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • maouw wrote: »

Oh I like this idea!!
    It means Verra will need more verticality than your standard MMO though.
    I keep referring to it, but Genshin Impact has the Zelda BotW gliding system and their world is vertically dynamic:
    4ce60f966ccdc2624df776d96f73e787.jpg

When I was exploring to unlock waypoints, I would always climb the highest peak near me and glide from there.
    I gotta say though, this only works because the game has no mounts and your walking speed is slow compared to gliding speed.
    In AoC, I think travelling by land mount could end up being faster than scaling a mountain and gliding.

ya they would have to design the mechanics of gliding such that you could reach significantly higher speeds by gliding which from a physics standpoint tends to be true, but it's still something that would have to be intentionally programmed into the gliding mechanics that I'm not sure if Intrepid wants or not
  • Sathrago wrote: »

Archeage? Used to love gliding in that game it felt so good.

Nah it was a first or 3rd person shooter mmorpg based around resource extraction from futuristic mining nodes that you had to defend, IIRC. I don't think it was ever super popular. But i mean, lots of games have gliders and I agree they're alot of fun. That particular game just stood out in my memory because I remember whenever I needed to go somewhere my first thought was always where's the closest mountain and then I would plan my route there by hopping mountain to mountain on my glider