Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Will I have an option to HIDE MTX purchase cosmetics from appearing for me?

I searched on this topic but didn't readily find a result that matched my question.

I don't want to see anyone's MTX purchased cosmetics, I don't give a shit who had money to buy their way into the cool kids club.

I DO want to see in game earned cosmetics, ONLY.

Will AOC be providing an option/settings so that I can turn off ALL player worn MTX purchased cosmetics from displaying for me?

Hopefully this will be an option.

Thanks!

Comments

• arsnnarsnn Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    The current stance is there wont be such a setting.
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Steven's current stance is no. However, since most store bought cosmetics will be available to earn in game with slight variations such as color, after a while you would be seeing most of the same cosmetics with store purchases off anyway.
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They will not have this feature. The reason is because they want people to be able to show off their cosmetics.
  • I mean, they will probably have an option for turning off all cosmetics. That's mainly to help during mass pvp and determining how geared enemy players are since as far as i know you cant inspect each other. I don't see why they would make an option that specifically turns off the purchased cosmetics though. Seems like a waste of time.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • They adressed this saying that tgey won't have this feature.

This might be very questionable in terms of ToS but you might just be able to replace the locally saved art assets for cosmetique with a standard armor file.
  • Warth wrote: »
    They adressed this saying that tgey won't have this feature.

This might be very questionable in terms of ToS but you might just be able to replace the locally saved art assets for cosmetique with a standard armor file.

Oh really? I am actually surprised. It ultimately does not matter for me personally but I assumed they would give an option like this, similar to albion online. Just so that it is easier on players who dont have the best computers as well as the pvp element where it lets you more easily determine how powerful or meta built your enemy is.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    They already have systems in place for those that are worried about not being able to do threat assessment. In large graphic resource heavy areas and situations like sieges and caravans the game will shift into a default appearance mode. Anytime you are out and about, you can hover over someone and get information as to what armor type, tier, class, and player level. Actual HP bars with numbers will NOT display currently. Just a degrading nameplate in combat. HP numbers will display for "friendlies"
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • They already have systems in place for those that are worried about not being able to do threat assessment. In large graphic resource heavy areas and situations like sieges and caravans the game will shift into a default appearance mode. Anytime you are out and about, you can hover over someone and get information as to what armor type, tier, class, and player level. Actual HP bars with numbers will NOT display currently. Just a degrading nameplate in combat. HP numbers will display for "friendlies"

Ahhh thank ya. sounds great.
  • Thanks for the replies. It's unfortunate that we will be forced to see MTX crap if we want to play this game.

If they're going to let MTX cosmetics run rampant all over the world then they should at least avoid the monthly subscription fee, I might be out of the loop, maybe that has already been removed from the original plan.

If playing requires a monthly sub AND having to view whale purchases all over the place............ugh.

• brizlyn wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. It's unfortunate that we will be forced to see MTX crap if we want to play this game.

If they're going to let MTX cosmetics run rampant all over the world then they should at least avoid the monthly subscription fee, I might be out of the loop, maybe that has already been removed from the original plan.

If playing requires a monthly sub AND having to view whale purchases all over the place............ugh.

They don't even have an initial purchase fee in the plans currently. It's only the sub. Why does it matter so much that someone wants to spend money to look prettier than you? I understand that the looks could have instead been picked up in game through playing but they have to earn money someway or another. I think this is the best compromise they could pull off and I for one appreciate it.

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You will see me with my glowing gloves and my swirly sword and bear with beer kegs I ride in on and seethe with jealousy. This is the way.

Hhak63P.png
    Thanks for the replies. It's unfortunate that we will be forced to see MTX crap if we want to play this game.

Ill take looking at someone's cosmetic unicorn horse over pay to win and a box cost any day, its a necessary evil and honestly not that big a deal.
  • VmanGmanVmanGman Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    brizlyn wrote: »

You’re throwing a tantrum and you need to stop.

The game needs money to keep running and fund the development, servers, and game masters.

There will be no box cost or expansion cost. You only have to pay for the subscription and the cosmetics are optional. Stop acting like you can just demand business models without understanding all that Intrepid has deemed necessary to run the game and to be a successful business. The current business model is more than fair.

You need to get over yourself and stop fussing.

Then this may not be the game for you. Try being a bit flexible and not letting your preconceptions show.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I would say a simple solution would be contacting Steven and letting him know that you'll fund the next ten years or so of salaries, servers, and development cost and all he needs to do is add an MTX toggle.

Otherwise understand that this is FAR better than an annual $60 box cost that encourages pushing out half assed expansions ever other year, pay for convenience services that encourages making simply moving around the game a painful slog, outright pay2win gear, and of course Gacha lootboxes/gambling.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • My answer's the same as the other Cosmetic Thread from a while back. Maybe it'll give you a new way of looking at it:
    Think of the Cosmetic Shop as a tax on those who use it, so that you can continue paying your current subscription price rather than a higher one. And every time you see someone with a Cosmetic Shop item, think to yourself that those suckers are paying for you to play the game.

And yes, I will likely be one of those suckers.

You're welcome.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Lot's of fanboi's in this thread that think a game can't run on a $15 a month subscription fee.

Let's assume this game is 1/2 or less as popular as ESO and AOC gets a measly 500K subs. That's $7.5 million per month, more than enough pay all the staff and make the developers rich. Now imagine 1 mil subs, or even more...dammmmmnnn money falling from the skies!

The ca$h shop is at that point is just being money hungry, that's fine and totally cool, that just means it's more of a money making operation than an operation based on passion. I get it. Baed on Sharif's past business history it MAKES SENSE.

I will still play, if the game makes it possible I will probably make it a point to PVP to death all cash shop cosmetic wearing whales as much as possible every opportunity I get. Screw the ca$h shop kiddies, you killed my immersion, prepare to die!

:wink:
    I will still play, if the game makes it possible I will probably make it a point to PVP to death all cash shop cosmetic wearing whales as much as possible every opportunity I get. Screw the ca$h shop kiddies, you killed my immersion, prepare to die!

That's the spirit! Work it into your gameplay! :)
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited October 2020
    How... How did we kill you emersion? All of the currently sold cosmetics are at least fitting to the setting. The only cosmetic sold that would do so is Mr Stufferton, and most people hate him.

You also seem to forget, that things like INFRASTRUCTURE is needed for the servers. Electricity bills, rent, all kinds of taxes and other bills have all to be payed.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited October 2020
    Lot's of fanboi's in this thread that think a game can't run on a $15 a mnth subscription fee.

Let's assume this game is 1/2 or less as popular as ESO and AOC gets a measly 500K subs. That's $7.5 million per month, more than enough pay all the staff and make the developers rich. Now imagine 1 mil subs, or even more...dammmmmnnn money falling from the skies!

Staff wages is not the biggest cost for an MMO.

The cost of hosting the game, and the internet bandwidth associated with that, will be significantly more expensive than the staff cost.

Just inflation alone would suggest that something costing $15 in 2000 should now cost $22, so the fact we are able to gain full access to Ashes for $15 a month with no other cost really isn't something you should complain about - especially if you don't understand the costs associated with business.
  • As long as I'm enjoying the game and am willing to pay the monthly sub, why shouldn't they make money from me? The notion of a company making money isn't enough to put me off a game.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    daveywavey wrote: »
    As long as I'm enjoying the game and am willing to pay the monthly sub, why shouldn't they make money from me? The notion of a company making money isn't enough to put me off a game.

I'm kind of the same, kind of the opposite.

I want to know that the company making the game I am putting time in to is making a profit. I don't want to put hundreds of hours in to a game, only for it to shut down. The more money the company is making, the longer the game is likely to stay live - the longer the game stays live, the more my time is well spent in that game.

That said, my time is significantly more valuable to me than money is (especially right now), and I agree that this isn't the case for everyone (again, especially right now). But $15 a month with no other required costs is stupid low - it will be the cheaper than any other MMO I have ever played.

I'd personally be happy if Intrepid upped the subscription to $25 a month, even if they kept the cash shop as is (though again, I understand that others wouldn't appreciate this with the way the world is).
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Lot's of fanboi's in this thread that think a game can't run on a $15 a month subscription fee.

The ca$h shop is at that point is just being money hungry, that's fine and totally cool, that just means it's more of a money making operation than an operation based on passion. I get it. Baed on Sharif's past business history it MAKES SENSE.

Name the successful MMORPG that has no microtransactions at all, has no cost for expansions, and gets by on just a $15/month subscription.

Hmm, I wonder why there aren't any?

Hhak63P.png