Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Would Memorials Be Fitting? Or Would "Fresh-At-Zero" Be Best?

If your city is around for awhile - be it a basic city or a Metropolis - and then it gets crushed to Level Zero, would it be fitting for there to be *some* kind of memorial in the new node? Or would a completely "fresh-at-zero" setting be better?

Yours truly is the nostalgic type, and would greatly prefer to see some kind of memorial (i.e. a cracked statue or broken obelisk bearing the old city's former name, etc) that would be around permanently - be it sitting in the wilderness where a great city once stood, or in something akin to a small monument in the city park of a new city on the same node. However, that's not how everyone thinks nor feels about their former-homes in video games, obviously.

Or - given that it would require something permanent taking up space somewhere (even if just a little) - would it instead be better for literally everything to revert to it's original un-settled "default" node-space? Just wondering if anyone else shares that kind of nostalgia for the pixel-spaces players will call their homes.

Comments

• Would the memorial just be for the latest destroyed city, or would there be a memorial for every city that had been built in that node?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I think the best you can get is science nodes having a library where you can read the "history" of any nodes. That or have it in the room with the relics as just a historic book for that node. Monuments would eventually take up too much space unfortunately.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think that some kind of in game lasting record is a great idea that would contribute to making each server unique as is already intended by other design choices.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Would the memorial just be for the latest destroyed city, or would there be a memorial for every city that had been built in that node?

I was picturing something like a small statue or small obelisk in the middle of a street or in the middle of a city-park. Just kind of a tiny 'honorable mention'-type of thing, either 1/previous city, or even 1 total, tucked away in the corner of the new node's town/city that detailed the names of all the previous cities on that same node.
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    I think the best you can get is science nodes having a library where you can read the "history" of any nodes. That or have it in the room with the relics as just a historic book for that node. Monuments would eventually take up too much space unfortunately.

I did like the mentions they had of libraries and records, in some of the videos - but no, nothing BIG in the city (nothing building-size). Just something tiny, maybe a moss-covered broken obelisk on the side of a street, somewhere that says 'former site of the now-destroyed megapolis 'OldCityName'. Something that gives mention to the fact that this node used to host another city, possibly even a much bigger one.
  • I think that some kind of in game lasting record is a great idea that would contribute to making each server unique as is already intended by other design choices.

Aye - libraries and archives and the such are an awesome idea. Even if instead of a small, tiny memorial, then being able to visit the node's newer city/town's library and being able to find a record of the previous, destroyed city's name and dates of birth and death would be really cool to be able to find, in-game.

In addition, memorials could even give birth to *travel-quests*; Once there are enough destroyed cities of each level on a server, then an exploration-mission could spawn to travel to the memorials of a city that was destroyed in a node-siege that had previously been level 3, 4, 5, or 6 cities.

Just pondering!
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Would the memorial just be for the latest destroyed city, or would there be a memorial for every city that had been built in that node?

I was picturing something like a small statue or small obelisk in the middle of a street or in the middle of a city-park. Just kind of a tiny 'honorable mention'-type of thing, either 1/previous city, or even 1 total, tucked away in the corner of the new node's town/city that detailed the names of all the previous cities on that same node.

So, it could easily be a single statue with a plaque on it, and when you select to read it, it gives you the list. That'd be easy enough to accomplish, and would only take the space of the one statue. It'd be a nice idea. :)
  • DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In addition, memorials could even give birth to *travel-quests*; Once there are enough destroyed cities of each level on a server, then an exploration-mission could spawn to travel to the memorials of a city that was destroyed in a node-siege that had previously been level 3, 4, 5, or 6 cities.

Just pondering!
    I like the idea of having some ruins left over from a siege long past. Even the quest part sounds awesome; could easily come up with some quests for that. Like visiting the religeous shrine looking for some relic left behind that creates a portal etc.
    If it was my old town I would prolly still hang out there just b/c.
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    this is a pretty cool idea. They did mention having a record on the site but no mention on node + server configurations / display.

It could be fun to have it available in some fashion in a freehold. Like a Netflix where you'd go up to it and could start reading it :p
    E6qgOoi.png
  • XenelliaXenellia Moderator, Member, Alpha One
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Library

The library might be what you're looking for. ^^ We don't have a lot of details on it, but it looks like it might be close to what you guys are describing.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    I like the general idea :) In fact, I would like to see ruins of the destroyed node stay in the game, until it is eventually rebuilt, if that happens

• A series of small symbols representing each of the previous main races of the node showing in the walls of the city would be easy to see for travelers and discrete enough.

But , the single obelisk/statue you can interact with, as @daveywavey said, would be cool and it will apply to nodes with no walls at their present stage too.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If there is some kind of memorial, I’d prefer it to be for Metropolis level cities only so that the world isn’t cluttered with them.

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The whole world will be ruined at some point so this seems unnecessary
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • It would be cool to have some kind of world history in the game, if that would be possible. Even if it's just a menu log of who owned what at what point in the worlds history.
    Poko.png
  • Xenellia wrote: »

The library might be what you're looking for. ^^ We don't have a lot of details on it, but it looks like it might be close to what you guys are describing.

While yes, that sounds like the correct place, it says it's only for Scientific Nodes. Maybe those nodes just gain access to a library earlier? (It does state at the village stage which seems early in most cases).

If everyone does get a library eventually then, great but I believe it should be in the main building hall. Whatever municipal building is central to all cities/towns/villages.

I think it should also be as simple as a plaque, that way a single wall in one room could house the entire history without taking up a lot of space.
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • VentharienVentharien Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like this idea. some small interior memorial, or some small cluster of rubble outside the walls with a plaque of the last city or metro on the spot. Or a list of any metro ever on the spot. Not anything under that though.
  • Xenellia wrote: »

This thread mention 'Scribes' as a potential profession. It doesn't specifically state it'll have the city-history of that node - but if such a thing were kept in-game, one would expect to find it in a node's library.

As someone who is ideally looking to get with a guild that wants to support either Scientific nodes or Mercantile nodes (for either travel or world-wide market access), yours truly would enjoy becoming personally familiar with areas that had been places such as our server's very first conquered metropolis. Somethin akin to having visited the node personally to visit a small monument as part of a scientific/historic travel-quest would be really neat.
  • Nagash wrote: »

What makes you think this? Have read about decay, but I don't think yours truly has come across anything that implies or states that every node or city will eventually fall.
  • PlagueMonk wrote: »
    Xenellia wrote: »

While yes, that sounds like the correct place, it says it's only for Scientific Nodes. Maybe those nodes just gain access to a library earlier? (It does state at the village stage which seems early in most cases).

If everyone does get a library eventually then, great but I believe it should be in the main building hall. Whatever municipal building is central to all cities/towns/villages.

I think it should also be as simple as a plaque, that way a single wall in one room could house the entire history without taking up a lot of space.

Aye - even a plaque-wall would be nice, to commemorate former cities that had fallen, on the same spot/node.

Scribes or other scholar-professions could have travel-quests in which they're to visit different cities and click on these.
  • Hm.. I'd place an effigy of the defeated mayor on a pike with a sign stating "Stay in line."

Too much? ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png

What makes you think this? Have read about decay, but I don't think yours truly has come across anything that implies or states that every node or city will eventually fall.

I believe what he meant by this is that at some point in the future all nodes will have been raised up and then destroyed who knows how many times over and over. Ruins for each old city wouldn't be possibls.

That or nagash Is doing what necromancers do and promising to kill everyone.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm.. I'd place an effigy of the defeated mayor on a pike with a sign stating "Stay in line."

Too much? ;)

maybe only appropriate for a military node. Don't they choose the mayor by a survival of the fittest arena combat match or something like that? >:)

I also found this:

Trophy park

Trophy park is an area within Town, City or Metropolis nodes that has available spots for trophies. These trophies show the character names of players who are the first to complete world bosses and dungeon bosses that were spawned as the result of the development of that particular node.

This might also be an appropriate spot
    isFikWd2_o.jpg
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    That or nagash Is doing what necromancers do and promising to kill everyone.

That's what I took from it...
  • PlagueMonk wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm.. I'd place an effigy of the defeated mayor on a pike with a sign stating "Stay in line."

Too much? ;)

maybe only appropriate for a military node. Don't they choose the mayor by a survival of the fittest arena combat match or something like that? >:)

I also found this:

Trophy park

Trophy park is an area within Town, City or Metropolis nodes that has available spots for trophies. These trophies show the character names of players who are the first to complete world bosses and dungeon bosses that were spawned as the result of the development of that particular node.

This might also be an appropriate spot

THIS would be a great place for such memorials! Hasn't gotten much attention, and while I'd read about these, it'd slipped my mind.

Some kind of honorable mention in these would be nice.

While they're around, civilizations build monuments and memorials to the past. Just because civilizations have a life-span, it doesn't mean they should stop, does it?
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

While they're around, civilizations build monuments and memorials to the past. Just because civilizations have a life-span, it doesn't mean they should stop, does it?

but nodes are not civilizations they are towns and cities
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    Nerror wrote: »
    I like the general idea :) In fact, I would like to see ruins of the destroyed node stay in the game, until it is eventually rebuilt, if that happens

They (Jeffrey) have already said that they have looked at that, and that ruins of a destroyed node staying until the next levelling of that node will not work for them. When asked about what mechanic will be in place they have mentioned that there might be something through the history function of the scribe profession. So at least they are thinking about some method of memorial.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Definitely like this idea, whether it be the library or the statue with a plaque on it.
  • I love this idea! It makes perfect sense that a defeated metropolis would leave ruins behind at least for a while. Maybe those ruins have a chance to spawn a dungeon. Probably not easy to program that sort of thing I guess, but it could be something simple like a broken statue or monument that could stay or go as the node levels up again.