Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Idea for Diseases and Viruses

1 - Idea for implementing some sort of "Illness" system into the game, including ways of being contagious. Some ways for players to get sick with viruses or diseases or something. Maybe certain times of year, certain areas, certain mobs, will get players sick.

2 - Throw a huge wrench in everything every now and then by introducing a new horrible virus to the world just to cause some chaos and use the game as a huge experimental testing ground, like the plague that hit WoW. This might actually be useful for real world pandemic modelling.

Comments

• The Rogue's sorted, then. He's got his very own Face Mask built into his armour! And as we all know, NOTHING can get through a face mask.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Oh I have so many ideas. Eat your heart out Nurgle!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Me likes some good old plagues, yes-yes!

2b38ed8a781cbbaf83e0d12e73183983.png
    41414f823515c5b14ea5dc9d70c0be17610b55ear1-1000-1500v2_uhq.jpg
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Could be interesting as a specific event, but I feel like these things are very prone to being unfun. Nobody wants to log on for the day and have a 30% hp debuff because immersion.

If they're tied to location, that might be pretty cool. Maybe dungeon hazards like pools of toxin or plants that spread poison... things you can avoid. You would also want a way to cure it that's reasonably accessible. So that you only go to this area if you're prepared.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited October 2020
    Shoelid wrote: »
    Could be interesting as a specific event, but I feel like these things are very prone to being unfun. Nobody wants to log on for the day and have a 30% hp debuff because immersion.

If they're tied to location, that might be pretty cool. Maybe dungeon hazards like pools of toxin or plants that spread poison... things you can avoid. You would also want a way to cure it that's reasonably accessible. So that you only go to this area if you're prepared.

I agree with @Shoelid

I'd love to see something like this as part of the Node Events though. For example: Node X reaching Metropolis stage unearthed an ancient temple. When opened, a hoard of ancient corrupted plague rats were released upon the world, including a Legendary World Boss (King of the Plague Rats).

Until it is defeated, there is a sickness going around within the ZOI of the Metropolis. Weakening everybody within the ZOI until it is ultimately defeated. In order to defeat it, a large amount of players have to work together, farm materials in preperation for the fights, fight the plague rat mini-bosses, world bosses and ultimately the rat king itself. A large scale event, that should require a major part of this Nodes Population to work together to get rid of the disease. Maybe put a large coordinative effort behind it by requiring all Plague Rat Royalties (World Bosses) to be dead at the same time for the Rat King to be challengable.

(inspired by the pictures from @Damokles )
  • Would be cool if 'Plague' was a long, group driven quest chain for one node to try and siege another node. Similar to some historical campaigns in Europe where disease was used as an offensive weapon to break a fortified location.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Would be cool if 'Plague' was a long, group driven quest chain for one node to try and siege another node. Similar to some historical campaigns in Europe where disease was used as an offensive weapon to break a fortified location.

Launch the cows!
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Shoelid wrote: »
    Maybe dungeon hazards like pools of toxin

As far as I am aware this will be an aspect of dungeons still. There will be certain areas of dungeons covered in toxic clouds that you'll need a cleric to clear to access secondary routes. Havent heard much about class abilities lately, though, so it may have changed.
  • Having the Covid, while playing during the Covid, and spreading the Covid in game. Sounds like a meme to me. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Lore DynamicLore Dynamic Member
    edited October 2020
    Nagash wrote: »
    Oh I have so many ideas. Eat your heart out Nurgle!
    Hehe! Oh yes, I second this! >:)

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be cool if 'Plague' was a long, group driven quest chain for one node to try and siege another node. Similar to some historical campaigns in Europe where disease was used as an offensive weapon to break a fortified location.

Launch the cows!

I loved Total War Medieval 2 for exactly that reason. You could either shoot normal boulders, or flaming bales of hay or even dead cows with a catapult.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    WoW did this with the Corrupted Blood event, and people actually used data from that event to help plan for a Covid response in real life.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-researchers-who-once-studied-wows-corrupted-blood-plague-are-now-fighting-the-coronavirus/

“In 2005, a surprise plague swept through World of Warcraft, killing off entire servers of players while Blizzard scrambled to stop it. The infamous Corrupted Blood incident didn't pose any of the real danger we're currently facing with coronavirus Covid-19, which has killed more than 5,000 people and infected at least 137,000 so far. But back in 2005, the idea of an epidemic in an MMO captivated scientists who played the game. They saw WoW's crisis as a tool to model future epidemics and wrote a paper about it. More than a decade later, they're helping save lives by researching Covid-19.”

Hhak63P.png
    Damokles wrote: »

Launch the cows!

I loved Total War Medieval 2 for exactly that reason. You could either shoot normal boulders, or flaming bales of hay or even dead cows with a catapult.

yeah I used to love firing cows into the city/castle and then retreat and wait for them to die of infection
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Nagash wrote: »

Launch the cows!

yeah I used to love firing cows into the city/castle and then retreat and wait for them to die of infection

Oh I thought you were referring to stronghold crusader. Lol
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Atama wrote: »
    WoW did this with the Corrupted Blood event, and people actually used data from that event to help plan for a Covid response in real life.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-researchers-who-once-studied-wows-corrupted-blood-plague-are-now-fighting-the-coronavirus/

“In 2005, a surprise plague swept through World of Warcraft, killing off entire servers of players while Blizzard scrambled to stop it. The infamous Corrupted Blood incident didn't pose any of the real danger we're currently facing with coronavirus Covid-19, which has killed more than 5,000 people and infected at least 137,000 so far. But back in 2005, the idea of an epidemic in an MMO captivated scientists who played the game. They saw WoW's crisis as a tool to model future epidemics and wrote a paper about it. More than a decade later, they're helping save lives by researching Covid-19.”

Oh that wasn't an event, it was a bug.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
    Sathrago wrote: »

Launch the cows!

Oh I thought you were referring to stronghold crusader. Lol

That as well :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2020
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Atama wrote: »

Oh that wasn't an event, it was a bug.

Yet many diseases are bugs. ;)

Also, if you look at the details of the incident, it mirrors what would probably happen if you intentionally put contagious diseases in a game like this.

Hhak63P.png