Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Shop Cosmetics

In my opinion there should be a advantage for wearing your real armour, to make people feel better about their accomplishments. My ideas were:
1. Making the shop cosmetics look like clothing and earnable gear look like armor, in the sense of function being the immediate visual distinction between the two
2. Not having a transmog system, making it convenient to wear your real armor

Do you agree with my problem and solutions? Do you have a better idea?

Comments

• I don't see the Cosmetic Shop as a problem, no. If you don't want to use it, then don't. If you do want to use it, then do.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I don't see a problem.
    So i can't agree with your solutions.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited October 2020
    In every game with a cosmetic cash shop, the most prestigious ones were always the ones that took significant effort/time/skill to obtain in game.

That will be no different here. If someone sees you having the mount from being rank 1 in the arena, that will be much more prestigious then owning a 20$ cash shop mount.

If you don't feel like achieving something that less than 1% of the server's population has, then that's on you.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You can count that im using my skins even if it gives me a debuff
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • personally i dont see a issue with paid cosmetics as long as its not overwhelming, aka locking out all good looking gear to the cash shop
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Before proposing solutions that severely impact the game in a negative way, first define a problem aside from, “I don’t like something.”

Hhak63P.png
  • Dargah wrote: »
    In my opinion there should be a advantage for wearing your real armour, to make people feel better about their accomplishments. My ideas were:
    1. Making the shop cosmetics look like clothing and earnable gear look like armor, in the sense of function being the immediate visual distinction between the two
    2. Not having a transmog system, making it convenient to wear your real armor

Do you agree with my problem and solutions? Do you have a better idea?

I don't really think there's a problem - if I earn some armour in game and see someone wearing a beautiful shop cosmetic, I'll still feel good/accomplished for earning my gear in game. That person hasn't taken that away from me.
  • If you want to punish players for supporting the game via cash shop cosmetics then you must not understand how Intrepid plans to keep themselves afloat.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • "Transmog" type systems have become somewhat of a staple for most modern MMOs. A friend of mine often jokes that he doesn't play Final Fantasy XIV...he plays "Final Fashion XIV." People just naturally want their character to 'look good' ... or they have this idle of what they want their character to appear like. The Cosmetic Shop is simply a convenient way to quickly gratify that desire.

And, as others have mentioned; a continual means for the game's developers to be reimbursed for all their hard work, time and effort. It's a win-win scenario for all involved. Even to those that DON'T like cash shops... Because, well - It's optional. No one is being forced to use it. ^_^

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can someone explain the origins of this problem?
    Is BDO directly responsible for making this a problem?
    I've never seen anyone complain about it in other games.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited October 2020
    maouw wrote: »
    Can someone explain the origins of this problem?
    Is BDO directly responsible for making this a problem?
    I've never seen anyone complain about it in other games.

Its boiled over frustration from literally every other MMO under the sun these days going too hog wild with cash shops.

People freak out when they see one and even if its not as bad as the other mmos, "Cash Shop = Bad". Regardless of the reasoning or context behind it. Once they understand why its like that though most of them chill, but sometimes you get a frother who just can't wrap their heads around it.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • As long as the real armor looks just as amazing as the cosmetics. I would hate to grind for rare gear only to have it look like a burlap sack while my 5.99 purchase has me looking like a god.
  • As long as the real armor looks just as amazing as the cosmetics. I would hate to grind for rare gear only to have it look like a burlap sack while my 5.99 purchase has me looking like a god.

"The most grand looking cosmetics will be from in-game achievment only.[5] – Steven Sharif"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics

That might ease your mind a bit.
  • As long as we get an Appearance tab, then yours truly will be happy; I'd hate to have to wear the same exact thing that everyone else at my level is wearing - especially if I've previously looted (or bought) something else that looks *amazing*.