Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Visual combat effects..

the last stream blew my mind with all the visuals around... it looked alot like bdo clusterfck..

Altho steven said.... that all is WIP.. the fact still remains that their are making these visuals with such a high impact of the view..

I am not sure how everyone else is feeling about this subject..

For me personally..

I dont understand why developers think or design their games around visuals... yes some visuals are fine ofc..

Visuals should only impact around combat anticipation... meaning...

you see a mage casting a fireball.. with low impact visuals.... as a tank you can interrupt this casting by stunning him..

every visual should have this impact for the combat with low impact of the view... this makes combat visuals a meaning without looking @ casting bars or your own bar.

Clear low impact visuals with combat meaning is the way to go imo..

Comments

• RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited November 2020
    Altho steven said.... that all is WIP.. the fact still remains that their are making these visuals with such a high impact of the view..

I'm not worried because they specifically talked about testing the toning down of effect size and particle brightness in later iterations and explained how that is all part of the effects being WIP.
  • I think it looked awesome. I'd happily play it as it is right now.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I dont have a problem with huge amounts of visual effecty, as long as i can tone them down later on in the game for myself.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • JaykcubJaykcub Member
    edited October 2020
    I personally love the visuals in BDO, and like @Ravudha said they emphasized that they will be toning them down some. Overall I think they are doing a great job. Just hoping that the visuals won’t impact performance in large scale.
  • understand that some people may like the extreme presence of visuals..

if the visuals could be toned down or being complete removed without having impact on combat disicions..

i have no problems with it
  • I can only hope that not every attack and spell cast requires over the top visuals. Basic attacks don't need them. We saw a lot of basic attacks and they all had some sort of effect for the most part. I will reserve judgement as it is WIP footage. Excited to get in there!
  • BricktopBricktop Member
    edited October 2020
    There were a lot of particle effects but the devs have already assured the community that there would be an option to increase or decrease particle effects. Additionally, they said in the stream that this is just the first pass and that particle effects and animations were going to be further tweaked over time.

Personally I thought the PvP video they showed off was quite promising aside from the massive amount of effects.
  • TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm not into over the top particle effects neither, I prefer clarity for pvp.

Steven did mentioned something that I'm going to translate as "luxury" placeholders.
    My thoughts is that they are playing around with different particles to see what fits their vision.

In early iterations of videogames is easier to sell skills through particles than through animations.
    You can change particles effects rather easy, for animation you have to rig 3d models and all that crap.
  • Unless a spell is designed to inhibit vision it should not do so. That purple spell with the black hole that takes up the entire screen was really rough and made it impossible to see. Was it intended that way is the question.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • DreohDreoh Member
    edited November 2020
    People who have no idea how game development works are going to complain about this exact thing.

Edit: And even when people spell it out CLEARLY for you multiple times in plain detail people like you are going to show up here and complain about what they've already explained.

It's common in game design for the FIRST PASS to look like COMPLETE ASS, why is this such an insane thing to think for people? It makes sense if it's like teenagers who are the ones who keep acting like this lol.
  • Dreoh wrote: »
    People who have no idea how game development works are going to complain about this exact thing.

Edit: And even when people spell it out CLEARLY for you multiple times in plain detail people like you are going to show up here and complain about what they've already explained.

It's common in game design for the FIRST PASS to look like COMPLETE ASS, why is this such an insane thing to think for people? It makes sense if it's like teenagers who are the ones who keep acting like this lol.

Whats with all the salt? People are just expressing their opinions. No one here is whining as hard as you are.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Cant wait for them to tone them down as they said.

I dislike screen filling effects.
    I also dislike oversimplified ability animations, such as the ones found in ESO.
    Gw2, wow and Tera online (back before the first new class) seem to have found the perfect amount of flashiness and clarity.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the big takeaway is that the demo showed the game can handle spraying particles everywhere - this is one of the heaviest tasks for computers to do, and they had (18?) people spraying particles in one place!

Great job on the part of the engineers!
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    I think the big takeaway is that the demo showed the game can handle spraying particles everywhere - this is one of the heaviest tasks for computers to do, and they had (18?) people spraying particles in one place!

Great job on the part of the engineers!

that I can agree with but I would also caution too much optimism. They do not have a live server that is full of 8k players (as far as I know) with all sorts of other events happening at the same time as this battle. The first real test is when they start bringing in a bunch more players to stock up the population.
  • VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    My take away from what I saw is that they had around 80 people in a small area fighting throwing spells with big some might say over tuned effects and it all ran quite smoothly.

The black globe effect is designed to obscure your vision, much like the tentacle globe that was the special ability of the short bow in apoc.

But at the end of the day feedback is what they want good/bad just be constructive.

IMO the effects are a bit over the top but I know they are WIP so I have no concerns at this point.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • The effects are way to much, everything glows like crazy, if he says you can tone it down then why don't tone it down before the stream?? Stop showing the game with those overpowered effects because it's the only thing thats driving people away. No one wants a rainbow on their screen all the time in every fight.
  • unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4kj6rn.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • It is important to differentiate simple complaining and feedback. The particle effects are the single thing that I have expressed to my guild that I strongly dislike from what I've seen of the game. First pass, work in progress, yes yes all good. Most of us here have been through countless alphas. The point is people are allowed to make it clear that we'd prefer the next iteration not look like a will 'o wisp orgy.
  • Themata wrote: »
    It is important to differentiate simple complaining and feedback. The particle effects are the single thing that I have expressed to my guild that I strongly dislike from what I've seen of the game. First pass, work in progress, yes yes all good. Most of us here have been through countless alphas. The point is people are allowed to make it clear that we'd prefer the next iteration not look like a will 'o wisp orgy.

agree with this..

I think small effects and animations should determine combat decisions.

The fun of combat comes with this... seeing a red playing doing a specific animation that makes your choice to stun the player i order to interrupt it..

same counts for visuals effects
  • Balrog21Balrog21 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes, a first pass on the effects, yes, they are way too big and fashy...I have full faith that Steven and crew will take care of the problem after he mentioned it before the video and after, and also we will have a slider in the UI to tone it down even further if you so desire.
    All is well in Intrepid development land.
  • the last stream blew my mind with all the visuals around... it looked alot like bdo clusterfck..

I am not sure how everyone else is feeling about this subject..

For me personally..

I dont understand why developers think or design their games around visuals... yes some visuals are fine ofc..

Visuals should only impact around combat anticipation... meaning...

you see a mage casting a fireball.. with low impact visuals.... as a tank you can interrupt this casting by stunning him..

every visual should have this impact for the combat with low impact of the view... this makes combat visuals a meaning without looking @ casting bars or your own bar.

Clear low impact visuals with combat meaning is the way to go imo..

I definitely hope all the spell effects get a complete rework, they make fighting impossible from what I can tell or seeing whats happening at least
    Poko.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    4kj6rn.png

Some things never change :D
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Sathrago wrote: »
    Dreoh wrote: »

Whats with all the salt? People are just expressing their opinions. No one here is whining as hard as you are.

"salt" lol. Frustrated yes, but salty? no lol.

Frustrated because like I said, people simply don't listen to clear explanations that have been repeated to them multiple times and then complain about everything said in the explanation without any critical thinking.