Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PLease Give a Voice to NPC that are given Quest

BeyondBeyond Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
Hello Ashes,

I apolagise if if this question has been put and aswer already, but i will add it to be there for my peace of mind.

In my jurney throw life in gaming experience i foud it so boring when an NPC that gives you a quest does not have a voice and it has a generic text line. But when a NPC even a sideques or an none
related quest line, that gives you a quest has a voice it brings so much life in to the world it self.

Does AOC will have all NPC with voice in them? please make it so!

I am sure that as a comunity people will offer their voice to give life for an NPC if requiered! I will do if i will be ask if i can help!!!

mmD0muf.png

Heroes of Many Expeditions || EU || Exploration Oriented
Guild Website || Guild forum post

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    There is no plan to launch with voice acting in place, but it may be added in later on.
  • I seem to remember a video where Steven said the logistics of getting voice actors were too complicated. Having someone voicing the lines, making sure you get that same someone if that character is in an expansion. Getting different voice actors for the different translations. Etc.

So, I wouldn't expect too much of it.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Beyond wrote: »
    I am sure that as a comunity people will offer their voice to give life for an NPC if requiered! I will do if i will be ask if i can help!!!

Haha, that would indeed be awesome!
  • Good voice acting is very expensive.
    Bad voice acting is worse than no voice acting at all.

Community send ins tend to be garbage to subpar at best.
  • TacualeonTacualeon Member
    edited October 2020
    Maybe along the way we will get some voice actors.
    Writing, casting and voice acting are expensive and are industries on their own.

Maybe in the mid to long term future.
  • ChocometeorChocometeor Member
    edited October 2020
    I think thats important for immersion to have some kind of voice for a Vendor that greets you or something like that
    uwu
  • FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As daveywavy said, voice over was talked about in an old livestream with Steven and Jeffery. They described it as the cost was too high; and, once voice over was in, it would have to be continued for the life of the game.
    Essentially, the risk is too high. I am hoping that Ashes makes an outstanding success and that IS decides it warrants adding voiceover shortly after release.
  • I remember hearing that ESO cost so much to develop due to voice actor costs.

Yes it can be nice, but I'd rather those funds go to developing fun gameplay mechanics than spending massive amounts on getting someone to say "my chickens are lost" and then skipping all dialog after they first couple months.

It can be something "cool" the first time, but honestly after a couple of months I find I turn 90% of the game sounds off as I listen to music, discord or watch movies.
  • I would LOVE to have every NPC voice acted, however even just doing main storyline quests is a huge cost financially, as well as additional work to put into the game. Add on the logistics of handling voice actors between recordings (sometimes years apart). It gets costly very quickly.

Would it be amazing to have, sure, do I expect any voice acting beside a few generic lines from say an inkeeper, no.
    eF494ze.png
  • Beyond wrote: »
    Hello Ashes,

I apolagise if if this question has been put and aswer already, but i will add it to be there for my peace of mind.

In my jurney throw life in gaming experience i foud it so boring when an NPC that gives you a quest does not have a voice and it has a generic text line. But when a NPC even a sideques or an none
    related quest line, that gives you a quest has a voice it brings so much life in to the world it self.

Does AOC will have all NPC with voice in them? please make it so!

Voice acting would be exciting but I feel its too much work for whats already promised
    Poko.png
  • Voice acting in an MMO seems out of place - I get it for single player RPG games but not MMOs. Seems like we'd have to mute voice coms too frequently to make it worth it.
    Tyrantor
    Master Assassin
    (Yes same Tyrantor from Shadowbane)
    Book suggestions:
    Galaxy Outlaws books 1-16.5, Metagamer Chronicles, The Land litrpg series, Ready Player One, Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Tyrantor wrote: »
    Voice acting in an MMO seems out of place - I get it for single player RPG games but not MMOs. Seems like we'd have to mute voice coms too frequently to make it worth it.

Heh, I only use Voice Comms when I'm in a raid. Otherwise, I like to hear the sounds of the game!
  • mrwafflesmrwaffles Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Warth wrote: »
    Good voice acting is very expensive.

did you ever play Skyforge? I like the game, i really did, but that was the worst voice acting of all time. I realize it was a Russian port but they cheaped out on the English voice acting.
    E6qgOoi.png
  • mrwaffles wrote: »
    Warth wrote: »
    Good voice acting is very expensive.

did you ever play Skyforge? I like the game, i really did, but that was the worst voice acting of all time. I realize it was a Russian port but they cheaped out on the English voice acting.

holy shit yes.
    Gorgeous looking game, fun combat - the voice acting was horrendous though. Literally on the level where you'd rather mute it.

The game had potential though, just unlucky that it was heavy pay to win and didn't really have an open world.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I mean how much of the chat do people skip in the first place?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I wish the NPCs did that but most players skip quest dialogue and as a DM that hurts my soul
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    I think the expectation these days is that dialogue needs to be interactive, not a text dump.
    something something show don't tell but for games something something.

If you text dump in a game you need the option to skip it.
    (like if I replied with 7 paragraphs to this thread)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • It would be good for a main quest storyline, if there even is one, but anything beyond that would just be using resources better used elsewhere in my opinion.
  • When you skip the NPC too many times.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeNdC8hVIT0&feature=emb_rel_end
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gonna go w/ most here and say voice acting would be incredibly expensive and I'd rather that time and money be placed in making the mechanical foundations of the game better.

That said, I think a solid middle ground would be working towards giving each NPC a bit of personality through good writing. There's no reason every single Tavern NPC needs to be the Ashes version of Nurse Joy where they say the exact same thing over and over again.

Text is cheap to produce and store and I'd love to see AoC really push some fun variety such as having NPCs display joy or anger at changes made within a Node, terror at an upcoming siege, excitement for a caravan that's en route...even if it's just flavor.
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Gonna have to say I am 1billion percent against voice acting of any kind in MMOs. I don't even want quests, but that is another argument.

Reasons why we should not have voice acting in MMOs:
    -Story is not important in any MMO.
    -Voice acting slows down production of the game.
    -Voice acting has a budget and any amount of money spent producing sounds that I don't want to hear, is money not spent on bosses I could be fighting and armor I could be wearing.

I am going to turn down voices anyways. If they did not announce "Bear McCreary" as the composer I probably would not even listen to the music. Even so I will more than likely mute the game after the first week and play my own music in the background. This is the way.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Story is not important in any MMO.

Without story, we're just running around hitting stuff with weapons. It's story that gives the game purpose and meaning.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

Without story, we're just running around hitting stuff with weapons. It's story that gives the game purpose and meaning.

Player driven-story, with a nice background lore written in scattered tomes or told by key NPCs to those that want to learn.

I think that's what he meant, and I agree.

Way better than the theme-park, lazy written, everywhere, generic excuses for fetch quests that in some games are called story.
  • Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Gonna have to say I am 1billion percent against voice acting of any kind in MMOs. I don't even want quests, but that is another argument.

But, quests can help a newer player understand the mechanics in the game.
    daveywavey wrote: »

In a sandbox, the story what happens between you and your friends when you set goals in a world where other people are doing the same. All that is needed is some background lore that can be told at loading screens and in in game books.

But, quests can help a newer player understand the mechanics in the game.

I did a thread a while ago about how tutorials could be a separate single player experience that happens offline. Similar to elite dangerous.
    More importantly. People are smarter than you think. New players can just figure it out or better yet. Ask another player and socialize. Quests really are not necessary. It is a antiquated concept.
    TVMenSP.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »

In a sandbox, the story what happens between you and your friends when you set goals in a world where other people are doing the same. All that is needed is some background lore that can be told at loading screens and in in game books.
    I disagree.

Every entity that is not a player in the game needs to have lore behind it. If our nodes are being attacked by a dragon, there should be lore there. If the castles are all occupied by various groups when the game goes live, there should be lore there.

Additionally, throughout the entire game, we should be uncovering aspects of what Verra was like before The Fall, and maybe even finding out what actually happened that caused everyone to leave.

There is some lore that Intrepid don't need to write for Ashes. They don't need to write stories in regards to different nodes being at war with each other, or how alliances are formed. This aspect of it is something that is up to us players, and in that regard I totally agree with you.

However, Ashes should have lore in relation to the actual land and to all non-player entities that is on par with the lore in any other MMO. This includes non-player entities that we meet in game, but also includes the entire history of both Verra and Sanctus.
  • AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am the same opinion, that its more important to concentrate on the game mechanics and to ignore voice acting at the moment.

But i agree that the game would be more interesting if it had voice acting. If someone doesnt know an mmo with good voice acting, than you should try star wars the old republic. The starting area would already be enough to get a feeling for it. You can even choose what you want to answer in these dialogs.

Sure, you are right, if you are doing a quest in a dungeon for the 100 time, then everyone skips it, but if it is a normal quest in the world which you do only once, then nearly no one would skip it.

For me thats one of the things that lets you dive in the world of an mmo instead of just getting a text and afterwards complaining about stupid quests with "kill 10 of these and 20 of them", because if you hear someone talking then its far more interesting than just getting a wall of text, where you just klick on "OK", even if you still have to kill 10 of these, because its a voice that tells you why he ro she needs your help or something like that.
  • MaezrielMaezriel Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Amma wrote: »
    I am the same opinion, that its more important to concentrate on the game mechanics and to ignore voice acting at the moment.

But i agree that the game would be more interesting if it had voice acting. If someone doesnt know an mmo with good voice acting, than you should try star wars the old republic. The starting area would already be enough to get a feeling for it. You can even choose what you want to answer in these dialogs.

Sure, you are right, if you are doing a quest in a dungeon for the 100 time, then everyone skips it, but if it is a normal quest in the world which you do only once, then nearly no one would skip it.

For me thats one of the things that lets you dive in the world of an mmo instead of just getting a text and afterwards complaining about stupid quests with "kill 10 of these and 20 of them", because if you hear someone talking then its far more interesting than just getting a wall of text, where you just klick on "OK", even if you still have to kill 10 of these, because its a voice that tells you why he ro she needs your help or something like that.

I'm mixed on this b/c there are plenty of examples in ESO where you just stand there while some NPC vomits exposition and it's just an absolute bore and the quest still ends in "Kill 10 boars."
    ZeFuP1X.png
    If I said something that you disagree w/ feel free to say so here.
    Noaani wrote: »
    I disagree.

Every entity that is not a player in the game needs to have lore behind it. If our nodes are being attacked by a dragon, there should be lore there. If the castles are all occupied by various groups when the game goes live, there should be lore there.

Additionally, throughout the entire game, we should be uncovering aspects of what Verra was like before The Fall, and maybe even finding out what actually happened that caused everyone to leave.

There is some lore that Intrepid don't need to write for Ashes. They don't need to write stories in regards to different nodes being at war with each other, or how alliances are formed. This aspect of it is something that is up to us players, and in that regard I totally agree with you.

However, Ashes should have lore in relation to the actual land and to all non-player entities that is on par with the lore in any other MMO. This includes non-player entities that we meet in game, but also includes the entire history of both Verra and Sanctus.

I don't mind some background lore in the game for those who want it. If I talk to a NPC, and he has the option to tell me some background information about himself or his place in Verra. That is fantastic. It is self contained and optional.

With the way the node system is. Every world will in theory be different. I am hoping that means that there is no specific main story quest with voice acted "main characters" I am not going to care about. I hope that every NPC will be a generic towns person with a few dialog options for RP. I don't think the world should have Main character NPCs. The main characters of the world should be the guild leaders who own castles and whoever has the most power in your node at the time.

I am still very adamant that some of the best stories I can tell you about video games happened in a sandbox. I can talk for hours about all of the crazy things that happened in Darkfall online or Ark: survival evolved and I literally could not tell you a single sentence about what the lore is in those games.

When I read the wiki and watch the interviews the game looks more like a sandbox than a sandpark or themepark. That is why I am all in on ashes.
    TVMenSP.png