Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Economic node mayor monopoly

I don't know if this has been discussed already or if there's a system that i don't know of, but my question is if the economic node mayor collects taxes and sets taxes and the economic node's mayor is determined by highest bidder. How will you stop the monopoly?

Comments

• Group together to outbid them, raise an army to burn their node down, or maybe attack all their caravans to damage their money gain?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • @BVerse a Mayor can't pocket the taxes himself. They do not help him to get reelected.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    @Warth
    That also applies to many positions of real-world government but they all find ways to dip their hands into taxes. I very much doubt it will be different in-game.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • BobzUrUncleBobzUrUncle Member
    edited November 2020
    maouw wrote: »
    @Warth
    That also applies to many positions of real-world government but they all find ways to dip their hands into taxes. I very much doubt it will be different in-game.

Not sure how you mean this. You mean that the programmers are going to really put in a way for mayors to skim? Why would they do that? Verra is not the real world. The only way to do that would for the developers to decide to allow it.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited November 2020
    @Warth

lmao, you should go outside more frequently when you can't differentiate between real life and ingame anymore. That's certainly not healthy and very worrysome if you can't differentiate between closed designed by unaffected Developers and the cesspool that's called your government.
  • maouw wrote: »

There's no reason a Castle owner couldn't share out some of the tax money to keep their servant node's Mayors sweet, so that they encourage their citizens to help defend the castle each month!
  • Personally I think there should be some opportunity for mayors to be corrupt and line their own pockets. Makes it more realistic and would add to the political drama. Also it would make the difference between good and bad node leadership more pronounced.
  • realism isn't always a good thing.
    I don't mean pay for things using the taxes.

The Mayor could invest the funds into perks that favours themselves economically, or an oligarchy could form where they all invest into keeping 1 person in power to make decisions beneficial to the oligarchy.
    This means that as a citizen of the node, literally your taxes are being used to help the mayor get richer.
    an oligarchy could form where they all invest into keeping 1 person in power to make decisions beneficial to the oligarchy.

I can easily see that happening.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Just have to make sure the mayor can buy the protection fees if they want to stay in power
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I don't mean pay for things using the taxes.

The Mayor could invest the funds into perks that favours themselves economically, or an oligarchy could form where they all invest into keeping 1 person in power to make decisions beneficial to the oligarchy.

But, that sounds exactly like things that *should* happen in an economy node set in a middle-age-ish fantasy world :p

No worries, node-siege's always there to help ...
    Which is why the node system is so cool! :D
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

yeah, the whole game revolves around the nodes so I cant wait to see what happens
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Nagash wrote: »

yeah, the whole game revolves around the nodes so I cant wait to see what happens

Sudden thought, let's come up with alternative names for Ashes which center around nodes:

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

Should I start another thread for this? :p
  • Sudden thought, let's come up with alternative names for Ashes which center around nodes:

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

Probably..... :p
  • winner909098winner909098 Member
    edited November 2020
    Nagash wrote: »

Sudden thought, let's come up with alternative names for Ashes which center around nodes:

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47w7iamio90d9hh6xdn79tdbtmlojbuaj1jxicuz7k&rid=giphy.gif

yes

thanks to damocles for the image
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

Nodes & Dragons
    Lord of the Node - Fellowship of the Node/The Two Nodes/Return of the Node
    Nodes - The Reckoning
    Total Node War
    Sins of a Node Empire
    Node 4 Dead
    Half-Node
    Among Nodes
    Dark Nodes
    Nodes must die
    Node: Medieval Warfare

@winner909098 No problem my dude ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Nagash wrote: »

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

Node Theft Auto? For when the node sieges become far too regular...
  • daveywavey wrote: »

- World of Nodecraft
    - Node Wars
    - Nodes and Fantasy
    - Nodes Online

Node Theft Auto? For when the node sieges become far too regular...

nodeblox? (Its for when everywhere has levels and is designed)
  • Tulnar: Jurassic Node
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu