Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Design your own spells!

Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited November 2020 in General Discussion
Hi all.

I know a lot of players have that one spell that they wish a game would implement but it never happens. So, if you were on the design team for an mmorpg what spells would YOU like to see in it?

If you are feeling really creative, come up with 2-4 spells that compliment one another in combat.

Lets get those creative juices moving!

EDIT: Loving the ideas so far guys, so here are some of mine. A lot of mmorpgs have personal mana shields for the caster, but let's make it a bit more interesting shall we by adding more support functionality (sorry for the names by the way, I'm not too good on those!)
Mana Barrier :- put up a mana barrier around yourself that absorbs 50 magic damage per hit taken - costs a small amount of mana each second while active.

Max Mana Barrier :- strengthen the Mana Barrier for 5 seconds to absorb up to 500, after which the Mana Barrier cannot be conjured for 15 seconds (can be used from either the basic Mana Barrier or Extended Mana Barrier).

Extended Mana Barrier :- push your Mana Barrier forwards into a wall that covers a larger area and absorbs 50 magic damage per hit taken - costs double the amount of mana per second as the basic mana barrier.

Projectile Mana Barrier :- converts your Mana Barrier to instead reflect projectiles rather than spells. Same cost as the normal Mana Barrier and can be used with both the Extended And Max Mana Barriers.

(disclaimer: I am making this thread as part of my own personal interest, not as a representative of Intrepid Studios. Anything suggested in this thread is unlikely to make it into Ashes of Creation - It's just for fun folks!)

volunteer_moderator.gif

Comments

• (disclaimer: I am making this thread as part of my own personal interest, not as a representative of Intrepid Studios. Anything suggested in this thread is unlikely to make it into Ashes of Creation - It's just for fun folks!)

And, we're grateful for your contribution as both :)
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited November 2020
    Bard:

"Rousing Intro"
    Music Spell. For X seconds, all nearby party members are inspired by your song, and gain X% damage mitigation.

"Rhythmical Motif"
    Music Spell. Must follow a Pattern. For X seconds, all nearby party members follow your rhythm, and gain X% damage increase.

"Grand Finale"
    Music Spell. Must follow a Pattern. For X seconds, if target enemy is under 25% Health, target enemy loses X% damage mitigation.

"Chorus"
    Pattern. Must follow a Music Spell. For X seconds, nearby party members gain X Health Regeneration.

"Musical Fill"
    Pattern. Must follow a Music Spell. For X seconds, nearby party members gain X Magic Regeneration.

Edit: Sorry, I did 5! :p
  • Magic ManMagic Man Member
    edited November 2020
    Mobility Abilities:

• Water walking
    • An escape ability that lets you jump to a friend's location if he's nearby (perhaps some sort of sync with a friend)
    • A time spell that takes you 3-4 seconds back in time - at a great mana cost ofc (so that you are vulnerable once you travel back)
    • An earth shaping ability that creates some sort of elevated ground (like bulwark but with a 45 degrees)
    • Sending an illisuion of yourself and teleporting to it
    • Riding on your summons (if you are a summoner)
    • An earth shaping ability that creates some sort of elevated ground (like bulwark but with a 45 degrees)
    • Grapple hook ability for rangers. It'd allow them to reach places that are otherwise unreachable (perhaps even tall trees!)

Offensive Abilities
    • An AoE ability with the shape of an eye that deals magic damage and slows enemies. The enemies hit are 'marked' so they can't hide and you gain health by the number of enemies you could land the shot on
    • A charge ability that ramps up speed over time and you can steer the charge slightly by either with the mouse cursor or by simply moving your camera (if you have action stance)
    • An ability that transforms you to a demon that drains health from nearby enemies and the more health you drain, the more damage you deal when you end the transformation (with a blast like a nova)
    • An ability that allows you to dash and deal damage at the same time

etc.

Will add defensive abilities later. 👻
    They don't compliment one another but still xd
    signature.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Actually, would love the ability to custom combine a variety of spells of different weightings to a personal preference! And then self name them, with an own selected icon .. not many just one or two!
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Spells

Team invisibility
    Smoke cloud
    Temporary fog of war on enemy map

• SathragoSathrago Member
    edited November 2020
    Shadowmancer spells:

Hungering Shadows- (cast time)You animate the surrounding shadows to envelop the target, eating away at their very soul. The target takes damage over the next 15 seconds.

Combination ability:

Umbral Dagger- (instant)You throw out a shadowy dagger towards a target dealing damage, If the target has Hungering Shadows on them they take additional damage and spawn a shade minion to fight for you for the next 10 seconds.

Shade- A shade is a melee-based temporary summon that focuses targets marked with Hungering Shadows. Dealing damage to a target with Hungering Shadows will slow the target for a second.

Orb of Darkness- (cast time)an inky black darkness envelops the target, reducing the target's vision and enemies within 10 (feet? Yards? stuff?) of the target for a couple of seconds.

Night's Reprieve- (instant) the caster becomes surrounded in darkness , making them un-targetable, increasing speed and mana regeneration for a couple of seconds. Taking damage does not end this effect however casting any spell, basic attacking, or use of a consumable does.

That's just a few off the top of my head. let me know what ya think.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • a Few fun mage ones
    Reverse Gravity : inverts gravity in an area leaving Enemies floating up till effect ends and making them take falling damage

another intresting one would be for a supportive mage
    Arcane Link : Expending your focus to empower an ally increaseing Healing and damage output by 30%
    gathering more focus by casting can increase the duration of this effect as long as you remain in range of the target
  • a Few fun mage ones
    Reverse Gravity : inverts gravity in an area leaving Enemies floating up till effect ends and making them take falling damage

another intresting one would be for a supportive mage
    Arcane Link : Expending your focus to empower an ally increaseing Healing and damage output by 30%
    gathering more focus by casting can increase the duration of this effect as long as you remain in range of the target
    quick addendum higher ranks would allow slower focus drain and increase the number of links you could have
    edited November 2020
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Bard:

"Rousing Intro"
    Music Spell. For X seconds, all nearby party members are inspired by your song, and gain X% damage mitigation.

"Rhythmical Motif"
    Music Spell. Must follow a Pattern. For X seconds, all nearby party members follow your rhythm, and gain X% damage increase.

"Grand Finale"
    Music Spell. Must follow a Pattern. For X seconds, if target enemy is under 25% Health, target enemy loses X% damage mitigation.

"Chorus"
    Pattern. Must follow a Music Spell. For X seconds, nearby party members gain X Health Regeneration.

"Musical Fill"
    Pattern. Must follow a Music Spell. For X seconds, nearby party members gain X Magic Regeneration.

Edit: Sorry, I did 5! :p

Bard:

To follow the Musical route, I thought I'd do a more word-based one, too.

"Monologue"
    For X seconds, increase the damage of your weapon skills by X%. You cannot use another Bard skill for X seconds, and this duration is increased by X per additional member of your party.

"Once Upon A Time"
    Story Spell. For X seconds, nearby party members gain X Health Regeneration. This effect is refreshed whenever that party member is affected by a Story Spell.

"Central Plot"
    Story Spell. Your 3 closest party members gain +X damage to their next attack.

"Dramatic Flourish"
    Story Spell. The next time your closest party member attacks, they interrupt their target's action.

"Love Interest"
    Story Spell. The next time your 2 closest party members use a skill, they are healed for X health.

"Unmasking the Villain"
    Casting this spell on three separate enemies within a 6 second window causes the following: The first enemy is knocked down, the second enemy is interrupted, and the third enemy takes X damage.
    edited November 2020
    Carrying on with the Bard theme....

"Centre Of Attention"
    Pull all party members within X-distance to your location.

"In The Spotlight"
    For X seconds, do +X damage to any target enemy attacking you.

"Encore"
    For X seconds, gain X Magic Points whenever an enemy dies within X-distance of you.

"The Show Must Go On"
    For X seconds, gain +X% damage per dead party member.

"Back For The Sequel"
    Resurrect dead party member with low Health and no Magic Points. This skill has a short range.
  • LafiLafi Member, Founder, Kickstarter

"Smoke bomb"
    Blinds users in area, reducing visibility and decreasing accuracy by X% for 15 seconds - effect lasts 3 seconds after you leave the AoE
    "Smoke Clones"
    requies user to have cast Smoke Bomb. AoE effects of smoke bomb are converted into clones of the player that rush out in a '+' formation in regard to the caster's position. 1 clone is created for every 4 seconds remaining on Smoke Bomb's AoE duration. Clones last 4 seconds before vanishing into smoke.

"Open Shadows"
    Mark the ground under your character with a runic symbol of shadows and grants stealth for 3 seconds. Within the next X seconds and within Y distance from the mark, you 'Close Shadows' will be avaliable.
    "Close Shadows"
    Return from your current location to the originally placed mark. Leaving a clone that runs forwards, at your current location for 3 seconds.

i have a few more but ran out of time!
    Twitch.tv/Lafidell
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @daveywavey I love the names you have chosen for those abilities, reminds me a lot of Original Guildwars.

@Lafi Very cool smoke clone technique, would be very fun to use.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • TheAshenWolfTheAshenWolf Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Tank - Magic Sponge
    For X seconds, absorb all of the incoming, not reduced magic damage. After the buff ends, or the absorbed damage reaches the critical threshold of Y, unleash a giant explosion traveling up to Z meters, dealing 100 % to 0% of the damage over the distance. During the buff, you receive N% more physical damage.

//Might add more later on

My referral
    You know what to do ;)
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tank - Magic Sponge
    For X seconds, absorb all of the incoming, not reduced magic damage. After the buff ends, or the absorbed damage reaches the critical threshold of Y, unleash a giant explosion traveling up to Z meters, dealing 100 % to 0% of the damage over the distance. During the buff, you receive N% more physical damage.

//Might add more later on

I like the fact there's a downside to being immune to magic damage. These kinds of choices really appeal to me.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • @daveywavey I love the names you have chosen for those abilities, reminds me a lot of Original Guildwars.

I spent a looooooot of time in original Guild Wars!
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    Bard:
    Heroic Lunge - Lunge onto an enemy, dealing x amount of damage and increasing allied movementspeed by 25% for 10sec.

A Winter's Tale - Invoke the memory of a winter long gone, invoking a blizzard around you for 10sec. Each second in the blizzard inflicts a stacking debuff on enemies and stuns them after reaching 10 stacks. Channeled no root though.

A Sun's Solemn Blaze - Tell of a scorching sun, inflicting all enemies around you with a stacking burning debuff. Debuff inflicts damage every second and decreases healing and mana regen. Channeled no root though.

Bowing Out - The bard jumps backwards leaving behind calltrops that poison enemies that walk over them.

Bewitch - Bewitches the enemies senses, inflicting all enemies around you with a disorientation debuff.

Soothing Sonata - Place a buff on all allies in a 25m diameter around you, which increases incomming healing and mana regen.

Word of Power: Kneel - Forces all enemies around you to be rooted for 2sec.

Word of Power: Strength of Arms - Increases weapon damage by x% of all allies in a 10m radius.

Word of Power: Strength of Mind - Increases spell damage by x% of all allies in a 10m radius.

I always imagine a Bard being super mobile. You know, any time you need a hand he is there with a tool to stop the enemies in their tracks and buying time for the tanks to reposition and keep the backline safe.
    Engaging with the tank inflicting debuffs and then quickly disengaging to handle mechanics or to buff important backline members.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Ooooh these are some fun brainstormy ideas so far, and I'm loving the creative names you all are picking for them as well! Keep 'em coming <3
    community_management.gif
  • VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No. I do not want player picked skills that fundamentally break the mechanics and design of the game, or that create a meta through manipulation of forum popularity to get a skill "chosen" that lowers the integrity of the game. I want to experience Stevens vision for Ashes of Creation, and want to experience his development team executing his vision. Bad or Good, I want a purely Steven & Development Team feeling from the game, Intrepid Studios plans for classes and skills, from their own creativity, not artificially injected skills into the game that are manipulated into it.

I don't care what thousands of AoC fans like in skills or want to push into the game as skills. I want to see the whole product, purely from Steven's vision. I want to play Steven's game. I think if we "leave Steven be" to create the game of his vision, we'll have a better game then we would if fans start influencing and changing the skills Steven wants. Let's watch Intrepid do their magic and enjoy the game as they make it.
    Cujo wrote: »
    No. I do not want player picked skills that fundamentally break the mechanics and design of the game, or that create a meta through manipulation of forum popularity to get a skill "chosen" that lowers the integrity of the game. I want to experience Stevens vision for Ashes of Creation, and want to experience his development team executing his vision. Bad or Good, I want a purely Steven & Development Team feeling from the game, Intrepid Studios plans for classes and skills, from their own creativity, not artificially injected skills into the game that are manipulated into it.

I don't care what thousands of AoC fans like in skills or want to push into the game as skills. I want to see the whole product, purely from Steven's vision. I want to play Steven's game. I think if we "leave Steven be" to create the game of his vision, we'll have a better game then we would if fans start influencing and changing the skills Steven wants. Let's watch Intrepid do their magic and enjoy the game as they make it.

None of the spells will be "chosen".
    We have fun thinking about fun game mechanics and spells.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    edited November 2020
    Cujo wrote: »

Why don't you read the original post. Might save you some embarrassment.
  • Spellshield:

Infuriating bulwark: A magic shield that you can throw up on others that when hit by an enemy, generates aggro for you, and while the target of the shield uses abilities, a portion of that aggro is also transferred to you.

Imposter's rescue: A spell you can cast on an enemy when it has aggro on an ally to swap places with your endangered ally both physically and on the aggro meter, and appear as an illusion of swapped ally for a few seconds.

Paladin:

Blinding armor: Makes your armor glow. Each time you are struck with an attack, your armor pulses brighter. Each pulse is an AOE aggro generator. Once you have been hit X times, your armor explodes with light, blinding all nearby targets. (would be a short duration buff reliant on a very fast attacking enemy, or a group of enemies)

Mercy and Vengeance: Cleanse an ally of its most recent/hardest form of CC. If you strike the target who CCed your cleansed ally within 3 seconds, you inflict the same CC upon them with with 150% duration.

Knight:

Bound duel: You inflict a small amount of damage to yourself, wetting your weapon with your own blood. The next target you hit with the bloodied weapon creates a large ring around you and your target. This ring marks the edges of a dueling area bound by blood between you and your target. While in the area, your target deals 70% less damage to anyone but you, and you deal 70% less damage to anyone else but your target. If you or your target leaves the area, the person who breaks the ring, gets a debuff causing the other to deal 70% increased damage to them
  • Skill: Win the game
    Cost: 100% of all resources. (0/1) Sandals of Time*.
    Effect: You win the game.

Description: Wins the game, destroying Ashes of Creation and rolling the credits.

Skill: Lose the game
    Cost: 100% of all resources. (0/1) Sandals of Time*.
    Effect: You lose the game.

Description: Loses the game, kicking you forever, but saving Verra for the rest of people.

*Sandals of time: When linked to a skill, it takes you back to the moment it was created.
    Dropped upon defeating Steven Sharif in a 1v1, at the end of the game.
  • OnyStyleOnyStyle Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Dimensional Warp:
    Creates a two-way portal in which you and your allies can enter and exit.
    Range: 50m
    Duration: 5 seconds

Dimension Shift:
    Phase yourself from the dimension making you unable to be targeted, and unable to target others.
    Range: Self
    Duration: 3 seconds

Dimensional Displacement:
    Displace all targeted creatures from existence. During displacement, all creatures are trapped within the the vicinity blocked from the outside world. Only able to interact with the creatures trapped in with it (both friendly and foe) and its terrain. This area cannot be exited entered until the duration ends.
    Range: 20m
    Radius: 5m
    Duration: 10 seconds
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited November 2020
    • Gaussian Rejection – gathers all enemies in a 20 yard radius of the targeted location, and blows them back 40 yards in the direction determined by the caster
    • Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing – temporarily allows the caster to be perceived as a citizen of a different node
    • Force choke – If I have to explain this, I find your lack of knowledge disturbing
    • Infravision/darkvision – changes the spectrum of light in dark areas (toggled)
    • Read thoughts – generates random ‘fortune cookie’ like strings from random players
    • Command – makes the targeted player perform a random emote
    • Newton’s Arc – a frontal sweep that damages enemies and knocks them back x yards
    • Conjure Gnome – summons a gnome from the ether to latch onto the targeted player for 10 seconds doing damage and can randomly stun / silence
    • Dwarven charm – nauseates a target for x seconds preventing them from taking any actions except backing away
    • Gandalf’s Deus Ex Machina – Summons an eagle to swoop down and scoop a player up then drop them off x yards away in a random direction
    • Animate rope/vine/pool noodle – conjures a tough thin fiber to wrap the targeted players legs slowing them by x% and/or forcing their only motion by jumping
    • Elven Chill – fills the surrounding area with alto-sax soft-jazz for 10 seconds. Generates rage.
    • Summon pie – provides contenting nourishment for the summoner, that can be shared and celebrated with friend and foe alike
    • Summon cake – instantly kills the caster
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • OnyStyle wrote: »
    Dimensional Warp:
    Creates a two-way portal in which you and your allies can enter and exit.

Good news! They have this one!

Mage skill: Portal
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    akabear wrote: »
    Actually, would love the ability to custom combine a variety of spells of different weightings to a personal preference! And then self name them, with an own selected icon .. not many just one or two!

One of my favorite systems of all time was the spell generator for the original Elder Scrolls game: Arena.
    Spell generator was amazing.

Fire of the Gods took all of my mana for an AOE fireball.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Borrowing concepts from a few different games, here's a spell set around manapools:

Passive: Sol
    Sol (default): your attacks and spells afflict enemies with Sunstroke (Sunstroke: if afflicted targets are attacked with another sunstroke ability, targets take a small amount of fire damage) After 12 attacks/abilities, activate Dusk and switch to Passive: Lune.

(Dusk: for 4 seconds your attack/cast speed is increased by 20%)

Passive: Lune
    Lune: your attacks and spells afflict enemies with Moonstruck (Moonstruck: if afflicted targets are attacked with another moonstruck ability, the attacker recovers some mana) After 12 attacks/abilities, activate Dawn and switch to Passive: Sol.

(Dawn: instantly recover 20% of your missing mana)

Twilight
    Enter/Exit the aether plane, leaving behind your aethereal form in the material plane. While in the aether plane, your mana will deplete over time, but your spells and attacks against enemies will burn the target's manapool. Fully depleting an enemy's manapool inflicts Lethargy (Lethargy: afflicted targets have attack/cast speed reduced by 20%). Enemies attacking your aethereal form will also burn your manapool.

Daybreak/Nightfall
    (long cooldown, costs 50% of your total mana)
    while in Lune: immediately enter Sol, any nearby allies have Sol applied to their attacks/spells for 4 seconds.
    while in Sol: immediately enter Lune, any nearby allies have Lune applied to their attacks/spells for 4 seconds.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Defensive Abilities
    • Soul Furnace: You shield yourself and can reactivate after 3 seconds to deal Magic Damage to enemies nearby.
    • Steadfast Presence: you can activate Steadfast Presence to gain movement speed and stop enemy dashes around you. When people try to dash towards you, they are knocked back by the shield.
    • Sky Splitter: You summon a lightning bolt at a location, dealing damage and Slowing enemies while granting you a Shield if you're inside the blast radius.

signature.png
    Magic Man wrote: »
    Defensive Abilities
    • Soul Furnace: You shield yourself and can reactivate after 3 seconds to deal Magic Damage to enemies nearby.
    • Steadfast Presence: you can activate Steadfast Presence to gain movement speed and stop enemy dashes around you. When people try to dash towards you, they are knocked back by the shield.
    • Sky Splitter: You summon a lightning bolt at a location, dealing damage and Slowing enemies while granting you a Shield if you're inside the blast radius.

Hmmmmmm that second ability looks mighty familiar.....even the name of it is familiar :P
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    edited November 2020
    Mage:

Arcane Mind - Spells cant be interrupted for the next 5sec.
    Arcane Body - Cant be stunned for the next 2sec.

Befeeble Mind - Increase enemy cast time by 1sec for the next 5sec.
    Arcane Mists - No one can target any one in the targeted area for the next 10sec. (Skillshots or weaponskills would still hit though)

Mage Sight - See through invisibility effects and Arcane Mists for the next 3sec.

(Someone said that they didnt like the word "arcane" :D )
    a6XEiIf.gif