Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Gift of Life - Cleric Alpha One Preview

Comments

• Options
    Amma wrote: »
    pyreal wrote: »
    Leiloni wrote: »
    Real healers don't want nor need passive healing. ........ We don't need passive healing nor do we need healing addons.

Well... i am sorry that i am not part of the "real" healers and that you "real" healers dont need passive healing. As an amateur healer who wants to have simply fun at playing a game, i think it would be nice to have passive healing, because this is simply what made fun for me as an disci priest in wow.

Healers heal. That is the class focus: supporting your team with life juice.

Its like saying Tanks should have passive aggro management.

If you don't like healing, I think this class is not for you.

You want for others to decide how to heal? No, thanks. If i want to heal through damage, then thats my decision. If you dont like how the cleric works at the moment, then this class is not for YOU. No one said that the clerics main job should not be healing. If that is what you understood, then thats your decision to think like that. Dont try to tell me what i mean.
    But if you dont understand this simple words what was meant with passive healing:
    1. No one said that you should stand around like a tree and heal everyone just through beeing there.
    2. Noone said you shouldnt have direct heals.
    3. Noone wants to steal your direct heals from you or something like that.
    4. With passive was meant that there are some heals that work different to direct heals. Spells which deal damage and then the game decides for you who gets the heal. Its just another game mechanic and it looks like it will be tested and maybe integrated in the final game. You dont like it? Well...then dont use these spells. You still dont like it? Well....maybe the cleric is realy not for you.
    5. Again, you dont decide for me how or what i play, so dont try to tell me which class is for me and which is not. If i have fun to play a more offensive cleric, then thats what will happen.

This might be the overreaction of the year.
  • Options
    AmmaAmma Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Real healers don't want nor need passive healing. ........ We don't need passive healing nor do we need healing addons.

Well... i am sorry that i am not part of the "real" healers and that you "real" healers dont need passive healing. As an amateur healer who wants to have simply fun at playing a game, i think it would be nice to have passive healing, because this is simply what made fun for me as an disci priest in wow.

You want for others to decide how to heal? No, thanks. If i want to heal through damage, then thats my decision. If you dont like how the cleric works at the moment, then this class is not for YOU. No one said that the clerics main job should not be healing. If that is what you understood, then thats your decision to think like that. Dont try to tell me what i mean.
    But if you dont understand this simple words what was meant with passive healing:
    1. No one said that you should stand around like a tree and heal everyone just through beeing there.
    4. With passive was meant that there are some heals that work different to direct heals. Spells which deal damage and then the game decides for you who gets the heal. Its just another game mechanic and it looks like it will be tested and maybe integrated in the final game. You dont like it? Well...then dont use these spells. You still dont like it? Well....maybe the cleric is realy not for you.
    5. Again, you dont decide for me how or what i play, so dont try to tell me which class is for me and which is not. If i have fun to play a more offensive cleric, then thats what will happen.

Maybe. Maybe not.
    For some people you need more words until they get it.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old

Maybe. Maybe not.

Still not the class for you. Maybe a rogue? Go all stabbystabby with some red herb sprinkle pouches?
  • Options

Maybe. Maybe not.

Still not the class for you. Maybe a rogue? Go all stabbystabby with some red herb sprinkle pouches?

I am not sure what your problem is, that you think it is a good decision to provoke other people in this chat.
    Do you now feel better after that last sentence? You think you hit me with that? Really?
    How about you try it with arguments and not with your childish "stabbystabby".
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

Maybe. Maybe not.

I am not sure what your problem is, that you think it is a good decision to provoke other people in this chat.
    Do you now feel better after that last sentence? You think you hit me with that? Really?
    You could also try not getting defensive and personal over a simple difference of opinion. People might not feel compelled to needle you.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

just stop it
  • Options
    [quot
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »

just stop it

Stop it? What exactly?
    Asking someone why they provoke people?
    Telling them to use arguments?

Thats very interesting what direction this goes.
  • Options
    DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    @Atama Stop it, dont stop them! I need something to eat my popcorn to. :D

Guys, please keep on arguing in loops, it makes my day.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    Damokles wrote: »

Sorry, sorry, I forgot the rules. :(

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Go have another read through the "Combatant Opt In" thread. Just make sure you have enough popcorn in reserve!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

Go have another read through the "Combatant Opt In" thread. Just make sure you have enough popcorn in reserve!

I was so about to suggest this.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I like what pyreal has mentioned above and would like to add on to it. Since I usually main support/healers in most of my games.

I agree change up the colors a bit. Consider gold for damage or divine stuff. Green for healing. White/blue or Silver/blue for buffs.

Exorcism animation seems very dull and let down based on the description. Just feels anti-climatic burst.

Judgement - seems to be the "smite". Either keep the animation and change the picture or change the animation to feature the divine hammer flying out.

Resurrection is a concern - short casting and are we able to res during combat? If so WAY SHORT of a casting time.

I also have a concern with life steal abilities / healing when damage abilities as they tend to become OP. I was expecting so many different ways of potentially healing and it can cause issues down the road or a huge meta shift, as is - everyone will wanna have cleric aug.

Rather have somewhat underwhelming cleric launch and tweak up then OP and becomes nerf as time goes by.

Also the basic healing - feels almost instant cast - with movement and healing - once again I have concerns with OP and pvp aspect of things.

Also to follow up on "pvp player" comment - I share same concerns.
    Devs - look into the game "Smite" - it's a MOBA and with regards to CC / Heals it has been currently an issue with healing meta and burst CC meta. so I see where pvp player is coming from and share similar concern.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    I agree with a few comments already made, the pvp mechanis are going to be monumental. And am blown away by how the community and devs are on a mission to make this game a best in class.

My time spent as a cleric main in Everquest, WoW and Warhammer (dnd also if that counts) has been enjoyable for almost every moment.

For ashes I’m tore between a few things. One being so used to games lacking a genuine feel. As if the players and devs are just playing the numbers game. Terms such as “meta”, “optimal” and “pay to win” come to mind. And I fully understand the requirement for these concepts and the role they play.

On the the other hand in striving for perfection it seems we lose a feel of creativity. If I were to optimise the game I would say “yes, the spell colours should be representative of their category”. Yet If the devs become boxed into this way of thinking, then I may loose them and the creativity they can offer.

If I were to boil down why I enjoyed my time as a cleric there would certainly be a mechanical aspect to it, but a joy so deep is had when enduring something that is gritty and goes down to the wire or maybe doesn’t go my way. And while this joy could be attributed to a very optimised program, I think it comes from something more than that.
    :/ramble off
  • Options
    Welcome to the community PvP Player.

Gear here will be agnostic as well. You can wear whatever armor you want. So the Idea of what cleric armor looks like is totally personal perception.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

Yes, obviously, as with every mmo ever.
    My point is that this is supposed to be specifically "cleric armour"...
    What is clerical about it?
  • Options
    Is it not the Kaelar armour, rather than the Cleric armour? I thought its appearance was based on race.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pvp player wrote: »
    Welcome to the community PvP Player.

Gear here will be agnostic as well. You can wear whatever armor you want. So the Idea of what cleric armor looks like is totally personal perception.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

Yes, obviously, as with every mmo ever.
    My point is that this is supposed to be specifically "cleric armour"...
    What is clerical about it?

There is NO CLERIC ARMOUR. What you saw ingame ws probably either medium or heavy armour. They just used different stiles of armour for the video so that viewers could easily keep them visually appart.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Is it not the Kaelar armour, rather than the Cleric armour? I thought its appearance was based on race.

my understanding is that armor A has a different look according to what race you are. So the armor we saw was the "style" that the race would wear.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    MushinMushin Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    But why do they have to float while casting?
  • Options
    mushin wrote: »
    But why do they have to float while. Casting

Cos it's awesome! I think they should float for ALL the spells!!! B)
  • Options
    I admit that I loved using levitate on my WoW priest, just because I could.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    I admit that I loved using levitate on my WoW priest, just because I could.

Especially when you use it on your allies to make them float down a cliff or into lava... OR BOTH! :D
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • Options
    My first mmo I remember playing a cleric in EQ1 before the first expansion. My favorite part was you could heal the dead and in turn it did dmg. They did end up getting rid of it but that was the best implementation of a healer doing dmg i think I can remember. That was the last time I ever tried playing a healer as it had such an impact on how it should work it was never the same. You heal and cleanse the dead nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am asking this honestly. Is it just me or do the animations we saw from the cleric video just look really terrible? I get that we are far away and a lot of work needs to be done still. My main complaint (and I have not complained one single time about anything AoC has delivered as I have loved everything else so far) is that it just looked extremely over the top in both flashy effects as well as character movement. Arms flailing while casting and bright gold sparks just didn't sit well with me.

Now, before you flame me. I know that the majority of us are die hard fans already so don't hate on me too bad. I'm just imagining as a tank doing some really funky movements and seeing grey sparks fly everywhere. Yikes.
  • Options
    You must not have read the original thread on the Cleric skills.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47175/cleric-abilities-discussion/p1

1) Yes everyone agrees, but,

2) The animations are placeholders.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't think the animations looked awful. A step above a lot of games. Nothing crazy. Being locked to that white/gold holy look is a little cringe, for cleric specifically. Clerics in my mind worship a wide range of gods. The holy aesthetic might not make sense for everyone. For most games I would give them a pass on this, but with ashes having some roots in pathfinder/d&d. I expect clerics to not be so mono flavored.

I have not heard anything about the religion system changing the way your spells look, but I would welcome that. Even if it was just hue adjustments.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    You must not have read the original thread on the Cleric skills.

https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/47175/cleric-abilities-discussion/p1

1) Yes everyone agrees, but,

2) The animations are placeholders.

Totally agree.

Steven said (more than once) that the animations aren't the finished product.

Debating the animation aesthetics at this point is moot ...
  • Options
    VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

It's not moot if the DEVs are reading the forums. You never know what someone on here could say that might be a fresh prospective that resonates with the DEVs. Someone could point something simple out that once seen can't be unseen. There is room for some optimism here.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Options
    Vhaeyne wrote: »

It's not moot if the DEVs are reading the forums. You never know what someone on here could say that might be a fresh prospective that resonates with the DEVs. Someone could point something simple out that once seen can't be unseen. There is room for some optimism here.
    Agreed, it's not moot.

Let's say a spell has a guy waving his hands around and then an explosion of golden fire. If people say that the hand-waving is neat but the explosion is too bright, that's useful. In another spell, maybe they got the colors and brightness just right but the animation is awkward and one person points out it looks like he's scratching his back. Even if the developers are planning to change them, it helps to know what people are objecting to.

In this case, though, we were explicitly told that the effects are much brighter and bigger than they will be. They've only had one "pass" and those settings are essentially the default, they haven't been tuned yet. So at least that one particular criticism is somewhat moot.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    With the exception of "Devotion", I actually quite liked them...

Don't hate me, either...!
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thanks for the feedback! I honestly haven't had time lately to follow much of what has been released but I saw this video and hopped on the forums with this thought. I didn't HATE what they showed us but it just made me cringe a little haha. I cannot stress enough how much I appreciate this community/forum for always being able to give me a different perspective from my own views in a positive way.