Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Login rewards MEGATHREAD

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited December 2020 in General Discussion
MOD NOTE: Hi all, since there are so many threads about login rewards I'm combining them into a megathread. Please continue to discuss them in this thread rather than making new ones. Thanks.

How do you all feel about daily login rewards some mmos implement (aa eso bdo etc etc)?
Do you feel rewarded with those potion gifts and what not?

Do you feel unique with the generic beards and braids everybody receives?

Or do you get annoyed at the pop up window every day and the manipulative nature of the daily concept that was designed to induce fomo to players?

Do you feel like you wont manage to play the game unless you receive some random consumable every day or do you "destroy" those trinkets before they pile up in your inventory?

Comments

• No.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    No.

Two reasons - first, if logging in to the game isn't 'reward' enough, then the developer should just make the game better.

Second, players shouldn't ever feel punished for taking a day off to take their significant other out for dinner, or to spend an evening with their children.

Someone that is able to spend 2 blocks of 7 hours a week in the game should not be at any disadvantage to someone that is able to spend 7 blocks of 2 hours a week in the game.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Big no.

It devalues every item in the economy that is in the rewards like, or the items with similar effects.

If the log in rewards gave potions for example. Everyone in the business of making potions as a part of their craft. Has their efforts devalued.

If it gives flat money it is worst because you are just inflating the gold supply of the economy. I also don't want to deal with annoying pop-up windows.

And lastly as @Noaani said. If my work schedule is thus that I do four days of solid work in a week with no time to play, but I have 3 days off to goof around and play AOC, I could normally keep up with those that play daily, but now I am missing out. This is a common work schedule for those working 12+ hour shifts.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • I didn't play ESO/BDO but that sounds horrible. Immersion starts when executing the executable.
  • I want a game that rewards me with a fulfilling experience every time I log in. Not some garbage chore I do once a day for "rewards".
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • I used to just destroy the dross I got from those kinds of things, cos they just clogged up my inventory. And I don't recall ever using one of the free cosmetics, cos I'd already made my character's look and was happy with it.

Sounds like we're all in agreement, so far.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • It feels cheap and unnecessary, a reason to make you log in when you should already want to log in.
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Gods I hope not
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    No thanks, it's annoying.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, login rewards are only short term rewards that train the human brain to only want them instead of long term satisfaction. people would only log in, get the reward and log out.
    a6XEiIf.gif
    Damokles wrote: »
    No, login rewards are only short term rewards that train the human brain to only want them instead of long term satisfaction. people would only log in, get the reward and log out.

Just like mobile games
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • No. I don't think I am alone in the opinion that login rewards feel desperate.

Every time I see such system I think about Ion Hazzikostas talking about engagement metrics with dead, soulless, eyes.
  • I feel like i have to log in. I have gotten better with not logging in everyday. Plus often you get a better reward for each day in a row you logged in. Which can make people log in just to get that 30th day reward
  • KusaijshiKusaijshi Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited November 2020
    Big no.
    I realy hate games where you need to log in 30 Times a month to get the big Reward.
    Or 7 times a week to get the middel Reward.

I would normaly easy get the when i like the game. Still a shitty system
  • Echoing the consensus of 'no.' This is a weak reward system designed to entrap players. Good games don't need it.
  • DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't mind dailies - as in...
    Here's a quick quest/task you can complete in 20 minutes.
    As long as you aren't penalized for not logging in.

I guess as long as the daily login rewards don't penalize you for skipping days, they could be OK.
  • pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    No.

I see it as a cheap inducement to populate the game. The game needs to be improved if you have to bribe people to play.
  • WarthWarth Member
    edited November 2020
    no free stuff and participation rewards
  • CptBrownBeardCptBrownBeard Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm one of those that would see it as a reward for logging in more than a punishment for not logging in. But I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there at all.
  • Do you feel unique with the generic beards and braids everybody receives?

Or do you get annoyed at the pop up window every day and the manipulative nature of the daily concept that was designed to induce fomo to players?

Do you feel like you wont manage to play the game unless you receive some random consumable every day or do you "destroy" those trinkets before they pile up in your inventory?

(Note: emphasis mine, not the original quote.)

I mean, the original poster, for one, used a very leading style of questions and language, but despite that, I'm going to echo everyone else and say that the login system is terrible. Sure, if you have the time, the inducements feel great, but then you feel terrible for missing the 28th day, skipping a week to have a vacation, not being able to log in because of a headache, etc.
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    I said this on the discord earlier when it was brought up, but I might as well repeat it here. Daily login rewards are there to perpetuate the skinner box that keeps players trapped in a game long after they have stopped enjoying it. They have a single purpose - to condition you into a routine of logging in every single day.

Once I've had a chance to do more research on the subject I plan on doing a video about all the psychological techniques mmorpgs use, in order to educate players on what is happening. Once you know about them, they become far less effective. The amount of psychological manipulation modern games use on their players is quite frankly disgusting in my opinion.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
    I said this on the discord earlier when it was brought up, but I might as well repeat it here. Daily login rewards are there to perpetuate the skinner box that keeps players trapped in a game long after they have stopped enjoying it. They have a single purpose - to condition you into a routine of logging in every single day.

Once I've had a chance to do more research on the subject I plan on doing a video about all the psychological techniques mmorpgs use, in order to educate players on what is happening. Once you know about them, they become far less effective. The amount of psychological manipulation modern games use on their players is quite frankly disgusting in my opinion.

we can thank the mobile game and AAA game companies for that
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• WolflowerWolflower Member
    edited November 2020
    That's a hard pass for me. Makes it feel like a chore. :-(
  • A no for me as well.
    It muddies the feeling of immersion in the game.

When I log on, I want to feel like I'm living all the crap behind me from this word, and entering Verra instead.

A "Login Reward" reminds me right away that I'm still stuck in this hellhole and receiving a useless-whatever for dropping by AoC today. :unamused:

No thanks.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nope, nope nope nope nope. Big nope.
  • Once I've had a chance to do more research on the subject I plan on doing a video about all the psychological techniques mmorpgs use...

I'm interested to see where you go with this - let me know if you want a thought partner.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • JohndarJohndar Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No
  • Noaani wrote: »
    Second, players shouldn't ever feel punished for taking a day off to take their significant other out for dinner, or to spend an evening with their children.

I definitely understand how these types of login rewards that only ramp up if you log in consistently can lead to potential "feelsbad" moments just for living your real life too. However, I've seen some games implement them where they just count up every time you log in, regardless of how long it's been since your last login - so it was more about rewarding you for overall time played. More like a "thank you for being a loyal friend" vs. "you MUST log in every day to get the greatest goodies". I'd be interested to hear more on what folks think about a system built more like this instead :smiley:
    Noaani wrote: »
    Someone that is able to spend 2 blocks of 7 hours a week in the game should not be at any disadvantage to someone that is able to spend 7 blocks of 2 hours a week in the game.

Keeping this in mind and expanding further on the above, what if it was just based on your total time played in-game? So that every certain hours of playtime (regardless of consistency of login) you got a nice little gift?
    community_management.gif
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited November 2020
    Toast, like many said: a good mmo is all the reward we need to log in and play and have great times. There is all the loyalty. No thanks needed.

Any pop up windows ingame feels more like real life marketing practice and it rubs people off the wrong way. 100%

Personally I never ever felt that I needed any such gifts.

Events are the way to go. Not pop up windows.
  • JazeriousJazerious Member, Warrior of Old, Kickstarter
    Toast, If you are talking about how FF14 does it with sub time, but with total played time, i agree. It could be in the form of a house decor. or cosmetic piece for your character. If so, it should be enough time for MOST ppl can get even if you are a causal player. 1 month (or lower) of playtime over a 6 month spread to get all or the 1 gift. if you do something like that, it would be a nice bonus for investing into the game without feeling like a burden.

P.s Just make sure you hide the time tracker so people with OCD won't freak out every time they log in plz!!!