Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AoC Trading Card Game?

As a way to bolster cash-shop sales (which so far has been stated to be mostly skins/textures), what would the peanut gallery think of an in-game Ashes of Creation Trading Card Game?

Yours truly greatly enjoyed parking a toon in a cantina in Star Wars: Galaxies, opening up their trading card game, and playing a few matches. It was a way to be seen in the world, while filling time or keeping busy. It also spawned both official and un-official tournaments, and even offered rewards to people who completed certain card-game challenges.

Everyone gets a starter-set, then you buy the additional packages, for chances at getting rarer cards (prob not an option for the Euro community), and you can trade cards to other players for in-game money or items.

Yay / Nay?

Comments

• NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I summon Skeleton chaplain !
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • IMO that sounds amazingly fun (still haven't forgotten those days of Pokemon TCG, lol), but as you said, it would be tragic for the EU members.
  • Nagash wrote: »

I sacrifice enraged battle ox and 5 dollars to summon blue eyes white dragon!
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Nagash wrote: »

*gasp* but that's against the rules
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    Shenan wrote: »
    IMO that sounds amazingly fun (still haven't forgotten those days of Pokemon TCG, lol), but as you said, it would be tragic for the EU members.

you do know the publish in the EU now?
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• Nagash wrote: »

Oh, I assumed the problem had to do with online gambling laws, though judging by your reaction, it's something else?
  • only if I can make a Stufferton tribal deck
    Shenan wrote: »

Oh, I assumed the problem had to do with online gambling laws, though judging by your reaction, it's something else?

not all card games are gambling just look at magic the gathering or gwent
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• KuldjuxKuldjux Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Buy cards for real money that you can then trade for in game currency? Forget the gambling aspect but that is P2W. Not gonna happen.
    BamUhO9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • I love in-game TCG cards. I would like this idea very much.
    The idea of needing to collect ALL the different cards gets me all squirrelly. :tongue:

Playing with other players at a tavern sounds like a fun down-time option.

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • It doesn't need to be for in-game currency. We can just play for "fun".
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • KuldjuxKuldjux Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    It would be cool if the cards were found in game (which obviously wouldn't bolster the cash shop). Just random finds, on a mob or even just lying in the grass when you are harvesting gooseberries. Or turnips.
    BamUhO9_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
  • With parlor games available at taverns, we've mentioned before that some might be dice games, some might be card games, and some might have other elements available!

So with that in mind, an Ashes-related game could certainly be in the cards (hehe) - it being tied to anything Shop-related though might constitute what some would consider "P2W", so that might not be an avenue we'd want to go down :P
    community_management.gif
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    With parlor games available at taverns, we've mentioned before that some might be dice games, some might be card games, and some might have other elements available!

So with that in mind, an Ashes-related game could certainly be in the cards (hehe) - it being tied to anything Shop-related though might constitute what some would consider "P2W", so that might not be an avenue we'd want to go down :P

:open_mouth:
    IS IT RELATED TO BLIND KERMIT?
    AoC is gonna have a board game, right?
    Is that board game gonna be integrated INTO the game too?
    :open_mouth::open_mouth:
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • Wow! The staff has been great, and I got a final answer in another post about the cash shop. Since it will be non-transferrable stuff; Any TCG for AoC would require in-game drops/acquisition outside of the cash shop.

Thanks for the input, gang! Happy to see that yours truly isn't alone in liking the notion of an AoC TCG.
  • DemidreamerDemidreamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been getting into Mystic Vale by AEG. Card building game where most cards have three slots to advance. Plays with 2-4 players. Kinda a nice change of pace for a card game where you don't really get to target the other players directly. The most you could do to harass a particular player is grab what you might think he or she may be after for advancements. Grab victory points to win. Liked the first box set so well I got my hands on 4 expansion sets.

A card game would be cool.
  • Sathrago wrote: »

xDDDD
    854168_cannonbreed_dark-souls-bonfire.gif?f1553090073
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2020
    My first thought was that a CCG in game would be dumb. But then I remember Gwent from Witcher III, and now I'm conflicted.

1) Gwent was insanely fun. Once I got over my resistance of playing a game-within-a-game that I didn't sign up for, and actually tried it, and learned how to play it, it was addicting.

2) Once I got into Gwent, the actual gameplay and story became secondary. Suddenly Geralt wasn't trying to save his friends or fight evil, he was desperately trying to get his Northern Realms deck to be as strong as possible, and traveling all over the world to collect the best cards. Gwent became the game.

So... Yeah I dunno. I worry about opening a Pandora's Box here. Then again, the "Pokemon" minigame (the battle pets) in WoW was a fun little diversion that didn't pull me away from everything else, so maybe this is less likely to overshadow an MMORPG than it is in a single-player game.

Hhak63P.png
  • Maybe defeated monsters have a chance of dropping their cards for the game. OR you do a quest for some magic item that you can use while targeting a defeated monster that will generate a card for that monster while destroying the corpse.

The cosmetic cash shop could sell card sleeves as opposed to actual cards, which wouldn't be "P2W".

• voidshadowvoidshadow Member
    edited November 2020
    Parlor games are cool and all, but a full out tcg? In a market dominated by gwent, mtg, heartstone, LoR, All i can say is good luck
    I would love to see it though
    Where there is light, there is shadow. I am the shadow without the light. The shadow of nothingness. The VoidShadow
  • I think it would be really cool, and a great way to fill up taverns especially if you could only play them in taverns
  • Half Tilt GamerHalf Tilt Gamer Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would love to see this! Implemented in a similar as Gwent was in The Witcher 3.
    I would want to host tournaments on stream and would love the idea of a spectator mode!
    Find me on Youtube and Twitch as Half Tilt Gamer!