Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

[Scenario] Traveling Through the Gateway

themeanbunnythemeanbunny Member
edited August 2019 in Role-Playing Tavern
Hi! So I had this thought the other day about what people would do upon returning to Verra and people suddenly having magic. I believe Sanctus was a world without any magic at all. I'm going to copy and paste my idea on "portal sickness" here just in case anyone else would like to imagine what it might be like for your character to just enter Verra.

(Even though we don't have a whole lot to go off of, just thinking about it sounds fun. Feel free to write up a story post about this scenario! Beneath this is the post I made from the AoC Discord.)
"Portal Sickness: Certain people feel ill when crossing over because they're the ones with the capability of magic and it's sort of bubbling in their veins. (Though there could actually be portal/motion sickness without the magical powers)

I just wanna know how people reacted to some suddenly having strange abilities if they've all come from somewhere without magic. First the things are a little small (sorta like how you can't do much at a low level, haha) -- blown off as tricks of the mind, that the person is just feverish. Then as a few days pass (the ill feeling some folks have starting to fade) and suddenly you have the first case of a potential Mage setting something ablaze by accident.

Or someone who was just a regular priest (who can become a Cleric) accidentally healing a wound closed when tending to an injured scout and everyone generally freaks out because wounds generally just don't close themselves after a flash of light.

(Or as I joked about earlier maybe a new Cleric who has been toying with their skills accidentally resurrects someone: "Theodore died this morning.. But I sneezed over his corpse and accidentally jolted him with some magic -- and by the gods he's moving again." -- Traumatized Cleric)"

Comments

• "Portal Sickness: Certain people feel ill when crossing over because they're the ones with the capability of magic and it's sort of bubbling in their veins. (Though there could actually be portal/motion sickness without the magical powers)

I just wanna know how people reacted to some suddenly having strange abilities if they've all come from somewhere without magic. First the things are a little small (sorta like how you can't do much at a low level, haha) -- blown off as tricks of the mind, that the person is just feverish. Then as a few days pass (the ill feeling some folks have starting to fade) and suddenly you have the first case of a potential Mage setting something ablaze by accident.

Or someone who was just a regular priest (who can become a Cleric) accidentally healing a wound closed when tending to an injured scout and everyone generally freaks out because wounds generally just don't close themselves after a flash of light.

(Or as I joked about earlier maybe a new Cleric who has been toying with their skills accidentally resurrects someone: "Theodore died this morning.. But I sneezed over his corpse and accidentally jolted him with some magic -- and by the gods he's moving again." -- Traumatized Cleric)"

Absolutely love this idea!
    Chapter 1: New Tricks
    Aivlia jerked backwards so hard she sat down. She scooted back, away from the still prone form of her brother Torlay, the roll of bandages still in her hand. The wind whipped her ponytail around into her face, where some of the hair stuck. She didn't reach up to pull it away.
    "What was that? what did you do? is this some kind of joke?" asked Torlay, pulling himself up to one elbow. His hand was still bloody from where he'd been holding his side. The big cat had swiped him, giving him a nasty scratch. Aivlia had scared it away by throwing a rock against a tree, making a loud noise.
    "No, I...Honest I don't know! I just prayed to Resna for healing, like always. Then I was going to bandage it..." she said, dropping the bandages and holding up her hands.
    "Sis, the 'honest, I don't know!' line stopped working years ago..." said Torlay rolling his eyes."you and your damned tricks. Well, at least this one actually healed a wound. But really, aren't we a little too old for this?" he went on.
    "ugh, fine, don't believe me. whatever, I'm not an ungrateful mule. I'm going to go thank Resna for actually answering my prayer, for once. Try not to get yourself killed alright?" said Aivlia, crossing her arms over her chest.
    "We've been here on Verra for ten minutes and you're back to kissing some God's butt." said Torlay scowling. He was trying to sound angry, but his voice came out with a whimper. Aivlia felt her annoyance subside.
    "Torlay! have you forgotten? Aivlia is head of the family now. Apologize!" said their Father, coming over the hill from where the other Dünir were camped. Torlay blushed.
    "I'm sorry Aivlia, that was very rude. Thank you for healing me, and looking after me. I guess I was a bit careless." he said, biting his lip and looking down.
    "it's alright Torlay. This is all confusing and scary to me too. I promise I'm going to look after you, you both." said Aivlia smiling a little.
    Aivlia Torladottir of Dün. Blacksmith, Lucky Wolf Trading Co.
    Imagination is the highest kite you can fly.
  • ExcalamerExcalamer Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2020
    This is a interesting thread.... :D
    lIcM1r2.png
  • SalzurSalzur Member
    I love your approach!
  • ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh I love this.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."