Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Role Playing Tips and Hints (aka "Being a real character in a make-believe world")

MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2019 in Role-Playing Tavern
How does this guide help the non-role playing player?
Are you looking to make big bucks on the auction house or advertising in general or trade chat channel? Yes, role players (RPers) have been known to spend gold on a common item that unknowing players vendor (sell to NPCs) for a few copper. If you find yourself on a server that has a large RP community make sure not to vendor interesting looking clothing items or even weapons such as short staffs that can be used as walking sticks. Your trash is an RPers treasure.

This is why you'll see common items being offered for sale far above the price for a uncommon one. And if that so-called common item has an otherwise low drop rate then you might see the price rival the prices of rare items. You may find your bags full at times but eventually you will find it another easy way to make a few gold.

Now on to "What is Role Playing?"

Simply stated Role Playing (or "RP") is assuming another persona than the one that defines you as a real person. We know that Robert Downey Jr doesn't actually have a working Iron Man suit in his basement, its just part of his Tony Stark on-screen persona.

How does this work in an online game? Players can pull on the skin of the character they have created and fully flesh them out with their own phobias, likes, dislikes, skills, and many other preferences that the player would never have. Ex. A players' necromancer character might have a large spider collection while the player freaks out out the sight of any small, harmless spider.

How does a player new to RP start? Keep it simple - Look for small ways to join in as a "movie extra". One example is to find a group that RPs in a tavern and volunteer to be one of the wait staff. Then by listening and watching others you can see the players that are well practiced as well as others that need more polish.

What should a new player watch out for? Avoid those that describe themselves as "1/2 dragon-kin, 1/2 vampire, 1/2 werewolf, 1/2 elf, 1/2 orc, and 1/16th Cherokee!". The better RPers will keep it simple and stick to a narrow script; easy to remember backstory, no super powers, and an easy to believe persona.

Some games give players a text block that they can type in a backstory which other players can mouse over this box and read it. Too often a player will end up typing in a wall of text that immediately puts off the reader. Again, keep it simple. Also a little secrecy and room to improvise can keep from pigeon-holing the character.

Should IS give us this tool then three quick bullet points is all it should take to give the first general impression.

Your character does not have to know who their great-great-great-grandparents are. They do not need to know what toe they stubbed when they were four-years old. If you had to write a very few simple lines of who you are and put that out where everyone could see it you would be very selective of what you would share and what you wouldn't. Apply this when imagining your character.

What do you do when you do find yourself in an RP situation?

When RP'ing or moving close to an RP event you'll see someone type in chat something like this;
"Have at you, you coward! <Steven draws his sword and swings it at Jeffrey> (my character doesn't know how to use a sword very well)".
  • The first part; "Have at you, you coward!" - Here we see the actual RP.
  • The second part; "<Steven draws his sword and swings it at Jeffrey>" - This is the action section. Notice that Steven does not assert that he hits or damages Jeffrey as they are participating in cooperative RP.
  • The third part; "(my character doesn't know how to use his sword very well)" - This is an Out-Of-Character (or OOC) statement that is meant to inform Jeffrey as well as any other participant.
Note: All these parts are optional according to what is needed. Also some players may use other brackets in place of those in the example. Pay attention to the context and it should be clear on what is meant.

Note: It would be incorrect to add "inexpertly" to the second section as that would "force" everyone involved to know the difference between amateur and expert sword play.

Keeping the action section vague while explaining in the OOC section allows a wide variety of RP reactions.

Examples;
  • Wait staff could shriek in terror and run away,
  • Weapon masters could guffaw at the amateurish manner in which Steven is wildly swinging his sword around,
  • Jeffrey could say he easily dodged due to his high agility score, clumsily stumbles while the sword tip passes through his vest and draws a line of blood across his chest, or any other of various actions.
Once one player has described their action other players can react to it using any or all of the three sections. Keep responses within the boundaries of the event as well pertinent to the immediate actions and reactions.

What do you not do?

Don't force other players into actions - Allow an "out" for the other participants. No one likes having their character feared in combat and losing control if only a few seconds. It is the same while role playing - Let the other participants participate. Stating that the other players are firmly under ones control does not make good RP without there being some reason.

If the RP has been lightly scripted and the necromancer character is going to sacrifice another player for some nefarious purpose then we have the basis for good RP and controlling of another player. Simply walking into a tavern and stating out of the blue "Everybody is now frozen in place" is likely to get one ignored.

Don't dominate the event - Keep your actions uncomplicated and clear - No walls of text unless it's called for. Something as long a Hamlet's First Soliloquy is good within context but dominating the RP event with huge tracts of text is going to get you ignored and not invited to any future events.

Don't God-Mode - Stay within what your character would know and not what you, the player, knows. You yourself may have heard about a magic item being found but would your character? Has the player that found the item been showing it off or have they kept it a secret from everyone but a few close friends? It can be a bit off-putting for RPers to hear about some artifact being found when in reality it was just shared two minutes ago on the forums and not widely known in the realm.

The same goes for stating that your character has powers that are not combat or non-combat skill related that defy rational (in-game) belief; impervious to otherwise death dealing effects (drowning, fire, lightning, etc), able to tear apart a dragon with their bare hands, as well as other nonsensical statements. Of course, should your character have slayed a dragon and there are witnesses to that event then feel free to play it up, or not, as part of your characters history.

Don't deliberately walk through an event. If you accidentally do quickly apologize.

Costumes and Groups

"Do I have to play dress-up?" No. While it helps costumes are usually reserved for scripted events. A barmaid dressed in full plate might not be all that believable but most will overlook it during casual RP. The more serious RP guilds that put on scripted events will have RP clothes available for drop-in extras - Just ask in OOC "(do you need any wait staff?)" and you might find a trade window popping up with a full set of barmaids clothes being offered. Just remember your good manners and give it all back when you're ready to leave.

If you want to start dressing for the part ask around and see what cheap outfits are readily available. Tailors/Armor smiths/etc may be all but giving them away in their effort to level up their artisan skill (tho' they may ask you to supply the materials as well as a small tip/gratuity should you have a more uncommon request).

As a side note - For the experts as well as those that like to see the major effort that goes into making costumes it is not unheard of for a "fashion runway" event to be held for costumes. Players can be very creative and will put in many hours constructing that very special costume that defines their character.

Also, small to medium sized events may require you to be included in a raid group. Since it appears that AoC will have 40-person raid groups the RP events may keep general chat clean by joining up in a group and using the raid chat channel.

Note to the devs; Would like to be able to create a unique channel (i.e. "/makechannel RPevent" ) for limited time use.

In Closing;

Have fun without being "too out there". Again, keep it simple. Light-hearted during happy events. Somber during somber events. Stay within the mood of the event.

Be respectful. Both to new players as well as players that are being trollish, obnoxious, or otherwise harassing. If you don't feel like RP'ing walk away. No one can make anyone RP or even stop, tho' sometimes its best to call a halt until a ticket can be submitted and the harassing individuals get a time out.

Don't be afraid. The RP community loves it when players participate in even the smallest ways - A vendor that is willing to haggle, a tavern owner taking pride in the special-of-the-day, a ranger adding a bit of flair when tracking. These are just a few of the small ways that can liven up an otherwise dull slog to the dungeon.

Information sources; Specifically; A longer guide; There are many other guides (search "how to rp online") but they are specific to each game. While generally helpful the specifics may not apply to RP'ing in AoC.
owuEH4S.png

Comments

• sunfrogsunfrog Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    <Sunfrog sits at a small wobbly table in the corner of the tavern reading a long but informative parchment about role playing. He thinks it's very good but the stench of vomit and ale coming from beneath the table is making him nauseous so he takes the parchment outside and sits under a tree. The fresh air clears his senses.>
    fNX2ISa.png

• dustdust Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thanks for posting this! Every rp community need a good guide and reminders.
    GS_REX_Sig_mid.png
  • poisonzpoisonz Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    sitting at the far corner of the tavern...

licking a watermelon while staring into the eyes of @Morashtak
    AhuZFn7.gif
  • URanu5URanu5 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    <3 to the Color Coordination as well - Hopefully this or something like this can be Pinned to the top :)
    planet-uranus.jpg
  • lightsey92lightsey92 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Always wanted to try it so this helps for someone who's never been able to do it before
  • ShadowCreptShadowCrept Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ooooof Good guide but I hate RPers
    ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

I always find most RPer are great people but there are some people who do give the hobby a bad name
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • desseusdesseus Member, Pioneer, Kickstarter
    edited April 2019
    A fairly well written and detailed guide. Have you considered explaining RP combat as well and different formats used as well as introducing a few different roll systems for newer RPers to learn ahead of time? I bring this up as there are a fair few systems people use and not just what you find in say D&D for example.
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2019
    Desseus wrote: »
    A fairly well written and detailed guide. Have you considered explaining RP combat as well and different formats used as well as introducing a few different roll systems for newer RPers to learn ahead of time? I bring this up as there are a fair few systems people use and not just what you find in say D&D for example.

Great point - Will need to expand on that tho' the example given should be an adequate starting point for most.

As for "roll system" I find that players who wish to tell a story will be more inclined to cooperatively spin a tale that has tension and high points, disappointment, victors and villains, as well as all the other attributes of a good story. Interplay and improvisation are the keys.

Should IS add a "/roll #" mechanic into the chat system then the article will need a fair size addendum.
    owuEH4S.png
    nagash wrote: »

I always find most RPer are great people but there are some people who do give the hobby a bad name

Pretty sure we could say the same about Raiders and especially PvPers :P It is all about finding the right people to have your fun comfortably with.
    planet-uranus.jpg
  • mozsta69mozsta69 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    great article !
    Uranu5 wrote: »

Pretty sure we could say the same about Raiders and especially PvPers :P It is all about finding the right people to have your fun comfortably with.

you are right but it just seems RPer get the worst end of the stick most of the times
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • BCGBCG Member, Intrepid Pack
    I roleplay every day!!!!!
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One

you are right but it just seems RPer get the worst end of the stick most of the times

Because some RP'ers are just filthy degenerates, no joke and it's not as serious if a guy camps noobs and kills them because he will eventually just be killed too and it's 'part of the game'. Roleplaying can go into some seriously weird territories especially if they don't break chat rules.
    Autumnleaf wrote: »

Because some RP'ers are just filthy degenerates, no joke and it's not as serious if a guy camps noobs and kills them because he will eventually just be killed too and it's 'part of the game'. Roleplaying can go into some seriously weird territories especially if they don't break chat rules.

I think RPers get the worst end of the stick because there is no game mechanics to protect them; Raiders and PvPers can get kicked from the team if they interfere with someone's personal space, Rpers cannot be ejected from the world, at least not just as easily depending on the -crime(s)-. Now you and the community can ignore them, which truthfully... Some people can't fathom the concept of ignoring someone else and that just makes their problem worse off than it was... But it is a community effort rather than the leaders say so, and when everything works in a way of gossip it just has an ugly overtone.

And just to defend my Dark Rpers out there :P - Ya'll do you, with someone who also wants to do you. ( I didn't realize how bad that sounded till -after- typing it... It applies though?)
    planet-uranus.jpg
    It's a shame that in this day and age most rpgs have lost what it truly mean to role play
    nJ0vUSm.gif

• VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »
    It's a shame that in this day and age most rpgs have lost what it truly mean to role play

Well yeah it's somewhat sad that's why communities exist for that purpose c: still imagine an mmo where everyone roleplays xD
  • WyrdlingWyrdling Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    How in the world is this not a sticky @LieutenantToast ??
  • I don't think emote--fighting is going to work very well in Ashes of Creation in public roleplay.
  • A great guide and well thought out and well written but honestly yeah some people give rpers a bad name but hey watch the raiders most of the best raiders in my many years of raiding across different games most of the best ones I've ever ran with were on roleplaying servers and well I'm not one for pvp all that much there are always some idiots that give all 3 groups a bad name when there are good qualities of people in all 3 groupings
  • when it comes to role playing, it is more than just going through with the motions and using game mechanics to your advantage, if you ever participated in a play then you know what I mean, you in a sense must become the character in order to appreciate rping for what it is, it's not a crutch or mechanics, it's a story you as a player are apart of, Pravchenski would say this because this is what must be said, No more no less. Well, unless that less means getting less coin for successfully delivering a caravan, then Pravchenski will be tempted to get that dishonerable kill, if it means he gets what is due from his caravan, now excuse me as I evade some guards by ducking into this alleyway.
    Pravchenski's Tavern and Brothel, Down your Booze like you down your Women, Bearded Dwarves in Drag!

-Pravchenski, yelling this at some twigs in sand, in a desert.
  • Enjoyed reading this it helped me understand some things!
  • MoowellMoowell Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    In regards to roleplaying a fight, this can easily be turned into a duel or simple over-world pvp rather than emoting it. If your character is supposed to be a powerful mage, then the game already has mechanics in place to make you a powerful mage. You can equip any weapon as any character, any armor as any character, and glamor over your equipment for the look you want. If you want to roleplay as someone inexperienced, then you can limit your skill use, equip lesser gear, run away if your character would be scared, or any number of things. You don't have to walk into a room and say "Everyone freezes in place" when you can drop an ice-type aoe and go from there.

With all of that said, please please PLEASE let people know what you're about to do. Give people time to react. No one appreciates getting attacked out of the blue, and with open-world pvp, everyone in the room may well try to fight you off before going back to their roleplay. Also, consider using a weak weapon. That way, you might avoid outright killing someone much weaker than you by mistake, and you can extend the length of duels that are meant to be epic. (Minor bonus: you get the ability to say "You've only seen a fraction of my power," before equipping a stronger weapon and resuming the duel.)
  • KnytemaireKnytemaire Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    @Morashtak - Thank you so much for this wonderful guide!
    Lyriss-Sig-Test.png
    Lyriss L'Enescor - Empyrean Cleric of Gray Sentinels
  • I've never played on an RP server, but I've always roleplayed to an extent in MMOs. There's a time for grinding, there's a time for competition. But let's not forget... there's a time for fun. Surround yourself with like-minded gamers and enjoy the little things from time to time.

I'm personally excited about caravan pvp mechanics. It's a perfect time to roleplay as a highwayman. Imagine: playing a scout class, standing in the middle of the road. You see a caravan approaching and halt them. "Pay x amount of gold for safe passage or face total annihilation!" The tradesman sees that you're alone and laughs at you, continuing along their path to the next node. Little do they know... your guild is behind the hillside.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Too bad, even when asked several times, they refuse to give us an RP server. Which means, it'll be difficult to get a core of RP players going. Even when you're on the right server. You'll need to find the right town.

It just does not look good for RP, and that breaks my heart.

It's great to see other RP'ers though, trying to make it work. I hope we can. Otherwise I'll just have to keep going back to WoW for it. And I hate it.

l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ariatras wrote: »
    Too bad, even when asked several times, they refuse to give us an RP server. Which means, it'll be difficult to get a core of RP players going. Even when you're on the right server. You'll need to find the right town.

It just does not look good for RP, and that breaks my heart.

It's great to see other RP'ers though, trying to make it work. I hope we can. Otherwise I'll just have to keep going back to WoW for it. And I hate it.

I think once we have more information on servers, RPers will make it work. I've played MMOs that didn't have designated servers for us and the community always comes together and figures out where to go. In GW2, we established Tarnished Coast NA as the primary rp server. The devs didn't give it to us, we just picked it and that's where most people went into it until it was locked.

The same with BDO, it was Calpheon server. Both however had great enjin websites that helped the communities navigate.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Chime wrote: »

The same with BDO, it was Calpheon server. Both however had great enjin websites that helped the communities navigate.

The same thing with Classic WoW with RP-PvP servers! Initially Blizzard didn't want to have RP-PvP servers because it would allegedly "spread the community too thin". They eventually made one, Grobbulus, and it was so popular that not 3 hours after the launch of the game they were forced to make a second RP-PvP server because the first one wasn't big enough! And that's just NA, there are several other RP-PvP servers today.

So my 2 cents is let the developers know how much we'd love a server specifically for RP. All the normal PvP rules apply here it's just that this server is intended specifically for those interested in interacting with the RP community.

• Hi there! While previously we've noted that we don't have plans for separate RP servers, we definitely love to see the appreciation for all things roleplaying here on the forums and in-game! I think there's certainly a lot of room in Ashes of Creation for folks to build their unique individual stories and events along those lines <3

And also big GG to our OP Morashtak here for putting together this very comprehensive and neatly designed guide! :smiley:
    community_management.gif