Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Level up animation

HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited January 2021 in General Discussion
I was just binge watching around old Ashes streams, when i saw the level up animation: https://youtube.com/watch?v=vI8DDBX7hD0&ab_channel=AshesofCreation&t=1836

In my opinion a huge possibilty goes to waste if there arent Phoenix Wings implemented into this animation. This would fit so perfectly and would be pretty epic.

Comments

• VarkunVarkun Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Phoenix wings of some sort would be a nice little touch on level up, nice idea.

Have a like.
    3KAqRIf.png
    Close your eyes spread your arms and always trust your cape.
  • daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited January 2021
    With all the aggro they've got recently around having "too much" in the combat animations, I think if they put phoenix wings into the level up animations, that people would throw a tantrum.

The current animation is just enough without being too overboard. Just right.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    With all the aggro they've got recently around having "too much" in the combat animations, I think if they put phoenix wings into the level up animations, that people would throw a tantrum.

THAT IS CORRECT!!! IT WOULD THROW ME INTO A TANTRUM!!!!

RABBLE! RABBLE! RABBLE!!111!!
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »

I mean the combat animations are hated on because they are distracting and make the game harder to play, because you cant see whats happening with all these particles. I dont think someone would care if we had fancy animation on other aspects of the game (for example if Legendary Gear drops or a Metropolis gets destroyed)
  • I think that simple animation we see in the video for level up is enough
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm happy with any level up animation, as long as I can turn it off.
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    OK this is a great idea. I'm usually against silly/pointless additions to the game but this would be fitting. I feel as if this game is going to captivate us and something as simple as a unique level animation tied to any form of the story would be awesome/lore. Each level makes us stronger and being able to see a limited number of this special animation would be pretty cool.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I am probably in the minority on this one but that is ok. I liked this part of Wildstar was a nice break from a small noise and light show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6j04OGUpRI
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I am probably in the minority on this one but that is ok. I liked this part of Wildstar was a nice break from a small noise and light show.

I love Wildstar. That level up animation was perfect for that setting, but I can't see it in fantasy.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • Need a Highlander scene for level-up.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YOpycvqxjZc

Example, leveling causes some form of effect that emanates based on the character archetype or class.

A huge push-back for a tank.

An extra attack from a weapon-based DPS type.

A burst of healing from healer.

An area of affect by a magic-based DPS type.

Make it epic and memorable.

So you could have 64 separate effects based on the 8 archetypes and their combinations.

Multiply that by race.

Multiply/modify that by the corresponding node. Example, if a character generates a snowstorm when they level, and the event occurs in the desert, then they would generate a sandstorm instead. There are all sorts of interactions that come from that.

You could even introduce more if you had some way for players to declare such things as dedications. A cleric type dedicated to defeating undead may send out a burst that damages or destroys undead rather than a healing effect. A fire wizard sets things ablaze.

This would provide a pretty interesting if not unique experience for the player, making leveling a little more than just the next set of abilities.

You can, and should provide the means of players to toggle this on or off should they desire something more subtle.

It sounded to me like this won't be a game where you level every 10 minutes, so making it meaningful in ways beyond just visual effects could create interesting situations. Do you try to hold off your leveling until you meet that big boss? You could even allow the player to have the option to start a timer before the effect goes off, that way players won't feel cheated and have a little time to maneuver.

Bottom line. Make it fun.
  • HakaijuHakaiju Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    So you could have 64 separate effects based on the 8 archetypes and their combinations.
    Multiply that by race.
    Multiply/modify that by the corresponding node. Example, if a character generates a snowstorm when they level, and the event occurs in the desert, then they would generate a sandstorm instead. There are all sorts of interactions that come from that.
    You could even introduce more if you had some way for players to declare such things as dedications. A cleric type dedicated to defeating undead may send out a burst that damages or destroys undead rather than a healing effect. A fire wizard sets things ablaze.
    This would provide a pretty interesting if not unique experience for the player, making leveling a little more than just the next set of abilities.

This sounds cool, but waaaayy to complex to develope.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I totally forgot about that!
    It made me smile everytime I levelled - and pumped me up B)
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Came across this today. Not "exactly" leveling up still miss this the most from Wildstar. This guys always made me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8JOoPuPcKk
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.