Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

the economy

GodgearGodgear Member, Intrepid Pack
since this game will not have full loot drop pvp . how will the economy work ? for example im guessing things like mounts will get saturated in the long run.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    If you are in a position where you cant see how an economy works in a game without full loot PvP (games with full loot PvP make up maybe 2% of MMO's), then there is no simple answer to give you as to how the economy will work.

There are many dozens of MMO's out there without full loot PvP, perhaps begin your understanding by looking at literally any one of them.
  • That's a vague question, but I will try to answer the part of saturating the market with mounts.

I believe the endgame for the animal husbandry system will be tied to having all kind of mounts with perfect stats, sure you have a horse with the max speed and max health, but maybe you want a turtle, with max speed and max health...and next week you might be bored of the turtle and wanted to ride a bear but without losing speed...that way you might need crafters to keep making more mounts

the other option is having specialized mounts, some mounts are better for speed, and some mounts are better for combat, or some mounts are better for carrying stuffs so you will need several mounts if you wanted to have the best for every situation
  • Players will get or make things, and then sell them. Other players will buy them.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Godgear wrote: »
    since this game will not have full loot drop pvp . how will the economy work ? for example im guessing things like mounts will get saturated in the long run.

Things like a very harsh gear repair cost and other upkeeps. A high cost to produce gear.

This is at least what I hope. Otherwise I don't see the game working out long term.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I believe that everything will eventually break, so there will always be a need to replace gear eventually.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • @Godgear gear and item degredation keep the economy flowing.
  • AoC's economy looks to be the most-fun since the economy of Star Wars: Galaxies:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Economy

As stated above, there is no simple answer. In short, there will be a MAJOR supply-and-demand chain of flow, players can sell items either in auction houses, vendor stalls, or player shops. Freeholds and the like will act as automated resource-harvesters - alongside actual player harvesting.

Am majorly looking forward, to it!
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    AoC's economy looks to be the most-fun since the economy of Star Wars: Galaxies:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Economy

As stated above, there is no simple answer. In short, there will be a MAJOR supply-and-demand chain of flow, players can sell items either in auction houses, vendor stalls, or player shops. Freeholds and the like will act as automated resource-harvesters - alongside actual player harvesting.

Am majorly looking forward, to it!

I agree, this game will make crafters very happy I think, to see their wares actually sold and used.
    TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn
  • Godgear wrote: »

I think the real question you are asking is what gives items their value. Your mount example states that because there is an unlimited quantity, the value will go down. This assumes that value is based purely on availability.

I actually have the same question. If I fight a mob, and it drops a sword, what value does that sword have. Why would I keep it, instead of sell it. If this 'vendor loot' serves the purpose of purely giving me money, why not skip the middle-man and just make all drops be money. If the sword has another purpose, what is it? It is always disappointing when a game uses some artificial system to accomplish its goals.

What would make sense for that sword, is if it could be melted down, and the metal is what has value. Or if it can be deconstructed, and the deconstruction results in improving our crafting. Or if there are areas that are being besieged, and have put out a request for swords, a reason to go there and sell it. Or if we WANT to support the attacking of another city, to sell it in the opposing city to 'push' them towards war. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Taylors
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    Economies work through production and consumption.

AoC's economy will be the same. People will make things, and loot things, and harvest things, and then they make stuff from those things, and use them or sell them.

There are ways to make money, and ways to spend money.

Considering full loot PvP is extremely rare in MMOs (for a reason, it SUCKS), how do you think all other MMOs manage? :/

Hhak63P.png
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    What would make sense for that sword, is if it could be melted down, and the metal is what has value. Or if it can be deconstructed, and the deconstruction results in improving our crafting.

You mean, like this?