Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Traps

What traps will be in ashes? I cant find it on the wiki, and they could have a big impact on siege warfare.

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    The devs have talked about traps but only in the context of environmental hazards found in dungeons, rather than traps players can set themselves. We'll have to see if that's something they implement later on.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I can imagine a ranger and/or rogue leaving traps, or maybe a mage with magical traps.

I haven’t seen them really talked about though. This sounds like a good Q/A topic for a future stream.

Hhak63P.png
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2021
    Beware that this is an old Ranger skill and is probably changed/removed already.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Trap

Rank 1
    Place a bear trap under the caster that holds them in place and does damage. Also holds targets in place and does damage.

Rank 2
    Traps stun instead of root.

Rank 3
    Place up to two traps.
    a6XEiIf.gif
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I never really liked player made traps. I find that I don't end up using them often. It can be cool to kite someone over a trap you have thrown down, but I never really end up establishing a habit of doing so. If the traps are crafted, I extra don't end up using them. Raw power just seems to be more useful in most games.

As for environmental traps. Dungeons and Dragons Online had some of the best traps of my life. Nothing like a good pit fall into a flamethrower to put a smile on your face. I don't know if that type of content is a good fit for Ashes open world dungeons, but if the DEVs are looking for a game that got traps right. DDO is a masterclass in trap design.

Now that I think about it, in ashes it could be cool if players could build and lay traps in dungeons for territory control. Because there will likely be a lot of choke points, it would be really nice to slow unwanted parties from getting to close to your groups farm. Maybe have like some wards from MOBA that alert you when a player is in range? IDK, in the context of open world PvP traps could be cool I guess.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    The only traps I ever really used are the ones from Ragnarok Online, the "ankle snare" at least as far as MMO's go. I never bothered with Hunter traps in WoW for example.

I don't really see traps adding much to the type of game Ashes is shaping up to be.
    If Ashes were more like----say Divinity Original Sin. Traps would be amazing. They work well in slow methodical and tactical combat. And less so in a game like Ashes. But that's just my two cents.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• The only game I really used any traps in was Guild Wars, but even then I didn't use them much.

However, I do remember one PvP match where an enemy player was specced pretty much fully into traps, and he was devastating to our side (until I focused him bwahahaha). So, after that, I can see their potential.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Wandering MistWandering Mist Moderator, Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    daveywavey wrote: »
    The only game I really used any traps in was Guild Wars, but even then I didn't use them much.

However, I do remember one PvP match where an enemy player was specced pretty much fully into traps, and he was devastating to our side (until I focused him bwahahaha). So, after that, I can see their potential.

Traps in GW1 were very situational for sure, but I still ended up using them a lot during the campaigns. Hell, I'm pretty sure there was a PvP meta at some point that used traps a ton. You'd have a party of 8 rangers all with traps.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • DamoklesDamokles Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The best traps I ever played with in an MMORPG were the AION Ranger traps.

It had around 12 DIFFERENT traps:
    Spike Trap - Immobilization and lowering of evasion stat
    Poisoning Trap - Poison enemies
    Explosion Trap - Explodes dealing single target dmg to first enemy
    Snare Trap - Snares on enemy in mid-air (which opened him up for specific mid-air attacks)
    Trap of Clairvoyance - Reveals enemy that actiated the trap (you could place them in doorways etc to ward against rogues)
    Destruction Trap - Deals damage to up to 4 targets
    Spike Bite - Explodes, immobilizes and lowers evasion
    Sandstorm Trap - Blinds enemy, lengthens casting time and drains HP over time in an AoE
    Sleep Trap - Puts single target that activated it first into sleep
    Blazing Trap - Explodes and deals damage to all enemies
    Skybound Trap - Immobilizes up to 4 enemies mid-air

All of them require you specific seeds hat you could buy in town. It was always fun to gank enemy citadels and plant dozens of them in their auction houses. Oh yeah, Rangers had stealth ;D
    a6XEiIf.gif

• Vhaeyne wrote: »
    As for environmental traps. Dungeons and Dragons Online had some of the best traps of my life. Nothing like a good pit fall into a flamethrower to put a smile on your face. I don't know if that type of content is a good fit for Ashes open world dungeons, but if the DEVs are looking for a game that got traps right. DDO is a masterclass in trap design.

That game was so fun. All because of level design and trap placement. I’ve seen nothing like it again.
  • While we may not have shared many details on traps as they relate to classes yet (and that info would likely come with more detailed archetype/class blogs and videos), I'm loving seeing all the ideas and suggestions in here, including ones you all have enjoyed from other games <3
    community_management.gif
  • consultantconsultant Member
    edited January 2021
    Be pretty cool if traps affected monsters and players that way mobs could be kited to traps for extra damage.
    Think this would be a great dungeoun mechanic. One thing I wnat to mention is that Runescape QUESTS have traps and puzzles and mini bosses really stand alone dungeouns. One of the quests you had to activate lever just as mob was going over trap to kill them to get past them plus made little puzzle out of it.

Really do not see how a 20 year old game surpasses most MMOs in dungeoun design (really a quest but would qualify as dungeoun in most MMOs plus story line.) Still King of questing even after 20 years. I play hunter and they did decent job of hunter class (ranger) considering game is 20 years old. Guessing they just clone WoW and their dungeouns have very few traps in game other than raid mechanics and boss mechanics really what a shame.

Unreal.
  • :/ Balancing traps is tricky. The essence of trap is you set them at tactical locations and then lure or force your foes over them, but imo in mmorpg contexts traps often don't function as intended.

- Damage type traps often degrade into "just another cleave-ish aoe" which you lay directly under a mob's feet (instead of luring the mob over it), especially during long or boss fights when the trap user (often rogue or ranger) has absolutely no control over the mob's movement (usually the tank does). I think this is the case in both WoW (Survival hunters) & GW2 (Dragonhunters).

- CC type traps often end up being an inferior version of ranged CC, as in WoW. In the old days hunters could only lay a freezing trap at their feet and lure the enemy over it, while mages could simply polymorph at range -- eventually Blizzard added the "trap launcher" skill, effectively turning traps into "just another ranged CC".

The only traps I've seen functioning as intended were the snare traps back in Ragnarok Online - and I believe the reason was that snare traps were the only reliable non-melee CC -- the RO wizards had two freezing spells too, but one had a low chance of success, and the other was a long-cast aoe.

My idea is that, if you want traps to be used as and felt like traps, they need to be ...

1. Not usable directly under the enemy's feet. (or at least weaken the trap's effects when used that way) Otherwise it would just end up being a melee-ish skill.
    2. Have an effect or feature that makes them stronger than regular skills, so that it's actually worth the extra effort to set the trap and lure your enemy over it.
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    consultant wrote: »
    Be pretty cool if traps affected monsters and players that way mobs could be kited to traps for extra damage.

But you'll never be able to trap a Zoid.

Hhak63P.png