Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Death spam in Regional Chat?

ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
Has it been talked about wether players will be able to see player death message and who killed them in their regional zone?
TwitchTV Streamer: The Hidden Dagger Inn Saturday's 5:00 PM Cst
7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

https://youtube.com/@TheHiddenDaggerInn

Comments

• WarthWarth Member
    edited January 2021
    i fail to see any advantages in that.

Haven't been mentioned either so probably no
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Might be a personal log such as "What happened to me" in other games. Showing damage/heals taken and status changes.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • ILLPeonUILLPeonU Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Warth wrote: »

The advantage is being aware of gankers in your area.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• Santanico wrote: »

If it's open world PvP, shouldn't you always be wary of gankers ... whether a system message tells you or not?
    It doesn't give the location, just the general region. Also good for knowing when large groups are attacking castles per say, guessing you guys never played DAoC. Where there was plenty of open world PvP and it didn't seem to effect anyone killing in that one.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• I don't think you answered my question ... but I can paste in some links from the wiki if it will help:

"Siege participation
    Non-registered combatants are not permitted on the siege field in castle or node sieges.[31]"

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Castle_sieges

Hunting Grounds (Open World)

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hunting_grounds
  • KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I like the idea of a local chat but I don't know how I would feel about someone dying being announced. Seeing "xxxxx has died" would be weird.
  • JamationJamation Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Khronus wrote: »
    I like the idea of a local chat but I don't know how I would feel about someone dying being announced. Seeing "xxxxx has died" would be weird.

Yeah, reminds me too much of ARK or something. It also would ruin any form of sneakery or ambush that someone might be plotting that would've gone unnoticed otherwise
  • Something like ESO would be good, in my opinion, where on your own personal death screen, it told you what skills had been used to kill you and who had used them.

This let you discover weaknesses in your own build, and allowed you to try to improve them, and also gave you the possibility of developing your "KILL ON SIGHT" list! :p
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • I think it would be good to see a combat log of what happened but i don't think xxxx killed xxxx in local or regional chat would be good.

I can see that happening for when people turn corrupt maybe but even then i think it kinda ruins the immersion. Like what benefit is there to know if someone went corrupt or if someone got killed by another player?

It sounds useful for keeping track of things but in the bigger picture i think it's useless
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You know what would be hilarious?

If NPC's who have witnessed someone die run in the opposite direction for a minute yelling out "MURDER! SOMEONE GET HELP" and then stopping, and calmly returning to their idle location.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • It's been made known during some of the Q&A's in the Dev videos that there will be pre-made in-game chat channels that you can tab between. Specifically mentioned are ones for citizens of a city.

If someone who was into player bounties wanted to keep an eye out for players carrying Corruption, a separate channel for this might serve some use.
  • It's been made known during some of the Q&A's in the Dev videos that there will be pre-made in-game chat channels that you can tab between. Specifically mentioned are ones for citizens of a city.

If someone who was into player bounties wanted to keep an eye out for players carrying Corruption, a separate channel for this might serve some use.

No "Yours truly" any more? You've changed, maaaan, you've CHANGED!
  • RavudhaRavudha Member
    edited January 2021
    Santanico wrote: »

I don't think we'll get death updates - I get the feeling that being aware of what's going on is meant to be the player's responsibility.
  • VoidwalkersVoidwalkers Member
    edited January 2021
    maouw wrote: »
    You know what would be hilarious?

If NPC's who have witnessed someone die run in the opposite direction for a minute yelling out "MURDER! SOMEONE GET HELP" and then stopping, and calmly returning to their idle location.

That sounds great, I've always been puzzled by how calm the NPCs (other than guards) in WoW remain when ppl are ganked near them.

Now make that npc try to run to the nearest settlement / tavern while crying for help, and if the npc reaches the location, every player in that settlement / tavern gets a marker which tracks the current location of the ganker for 5~10 minutes or so.
    Of coz in that case the ganker should also have the option to kill that running npc (eliminate all witnesses!!!) ... for the cost of gaining additional corruption.

That sounds about right for a fantasy world rpg.

IMO region wide pvp / kill alerts only makes sense in a sci-fi settings (e.g. Eve Online), as you can explain things away with "sensors / monitoring / observatories".
    While in a sword-and-magic fantasy setting ... why & how would I know instantly about kills happening within my region? Magical PvP live broadcast?
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    @Voidwalkers
    That idea would also help Taverns to become a hangout area for people (bounty hunters) waiting for drama to happen.

As it is, if you get corruption from killing a non-combatant, guards will attack you - so AoC guards should be pretty responsive to this stuff anyways.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • MorekMorek Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    What a terrible idea.
    giphy.gif
  • AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2021
    I've seen announcements like this in MMOs when people duel each other, but frankly I was always annoyed by it. I don't care if SwordguyFred got bored and dueled DarkWizardBob in front of the tavern.

I also don't care if they kill each other outside of a duel either. I only care if a guy PK'd another guy when the killer shows up in front of me with his red name. (By the way, one guy can't "gank" another guy unless maybe he summoned a bunch of pets or has multiple personality disorder.) And that red name is enough on its own to alert me without spamming my chat window.

Hhak63P.png
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Death spam makes me happy, it reminds me that I'm doing a good job
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
    I just like to see who's doing all the killing
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Nagash wrote: »

Death spam sounds like a glowing green salted meat out of a can.

Hhak63P.png
  • Atama wrote: »

Ewwwwwwwww. Just ewwwwwwww.....
  • NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »

Or heavy metal spam
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Hiya! As I can't seem to find a solid reference at the moment for where we've discussed previously how visible "death" messaging would be to others in your area, I might recommend asking this in an upcoming live stream Q&A thread! <3

In the meantime, loving the thoughts folks are sharing here on what death messages/info you've found helpful in other games :smiley:
    community_management.gif
    edited January 2021
    Thanks Toast

I think some people think of it as ruining it for gankers, but my idea is from Dark Age of Camelot where I believe seeing lots of kill spam and by who encourages PvP. Whether it be from Castle guards getting attacked by a zerg or just a rogue ganking a unsuspected player.

And when I say regionl I mean it's a pretty large area, so you still have to track them down unless a landmark is in the messages IE. a castle.
    7wg8px59ktyc.jpg

• ShadowVenShadowVen Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    This may be of something to add to the bounty hunters system where only BHs can see within certain area the messages of another player being killed by a corrupted player.
    [img][/img]
  • Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Atama wrote: »

Or heavy metal spam

I love that movie. I need some plutonium nyborg, man.