Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guards and Player/Guildbases

Hello folks,

I'm interested into our friend and helper, the guard. Guard NPC help to secure towns, cities & caravans. There is the possibility to hire for sieges and caravans mercenaries...yeah. .but what I'm interested in... if we can have gaurds for player bases or even guild HQ / Castle (if conquered).

And if yes, it leads to my main question.. Does the class change the appeareance of the guards? I know that in dwarf cities there are dwarf guard, in human cities there aew human guards and so on...

But for phantasy purpose take the class Summoner. Wouldn't it be nice to have undead guards or golems? I would totally love it. I kinda have to live with the fact that we can't have huge summon armies, so that would be something that would be okay.

What are your thoughts?

I appreciate any of your replies & suggestions!

Cheers
Ibarumarky
- The Dark Wanderer -

Comments

• daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    edited February 2021
    It'd make sense to have different classes of guards, and for each of them to look different to aid in target acquisition.

I just hope they'll be killable, cos the immortal guards in ESO were ridiculous.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Yes, thats right. But i would also love to give some classes lore wise the possibility to have their own gaurds. for example Necromancer has skeleton or whatever as gaurds.

so often there are NPC who are much weaker but have so much more compared to us... thats a pity
  • McMackMuckMcMackMuck Member
    edited February 2021
    It might be possible to allow NPC skins to be bought in the cosmetic shop to achieve the undead guard appearance.
    Nothing like that exists at the moment, but after the game is released it could be possible if Steven wants it to happen.
    Obviously, no undead attributes, just a cosmetic.
    Forum_Signature.png
  • It's an idea but I would favour the possibility to have class based guards if it makes lore wise sense
  • They already plan to have guards that look different depending on the race that contributes the most to a node:
    • Race that contributed most to the node's advancement.[53][59][60]
      • Racial appearance of a node's buildings and NPCs.[61][60]
      • This applies to all nodes, including castle nodes.[62]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes

I'm not sure what you mean by "Does the class change the appeareance of the guards?". Do you mean that because you choose a summoner, that all the guards should be summoners on your client? And for others who choose other classes, that all the guards should be their class?
  • VirulentVirulent Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I suggest submitting your question for the next Q&A. You have a two part question. 1. Do NPC guards come in different archtypes that mirror player archtypes? 2. If so, do those Archtypes have a different appearance?

I'm already quite sure, that there will be different "types" of guards, that carry various weapons and do different attacks. Whether they reflect the archtypes in the game. Is not known publicly at least.

We do know NPC will have a wide and diverse selection of appearances already, utilizing cosmetics from monthly packs. As well, Intrepid has even shown in game NPC guard armor, made specifically for a lore NPC military unit, that can be earned by the player.

tl;dr: very likely NPC guards will have different archtype & appearance.
  • bigepeen wrote: »
    They already plan to have guards that look different depending on the race that contributes the most to a node:
    • Race that contributed most to the node's advancement.[53][59][60]
      • Racial appearance of a node's buildings and NPCs.[61][60]
      • This applies to all nodes, including castle nodes.[62]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Nodes

I'm not sure what you mean by "Does the class change the appeareance of the guards?". Do you mean that because you choose a summoner, that all the guards should be summoners on your client? And for others who choose other classes, that all the guards should be their class?

I know that the race which contribute the most to the node progressing, will be selected as art style for the city.. so yes

I'm talking about guards for the property of players per guilds.

And if yes, there will be hired guards... I'm going deeper... and ask about some specialities when you have certain classes like necromancer.... if you could have undead/skeleton guards.

It would be cool
  • Cujo wrote: »
    I suggest submitting your question for the next Q&A. You have a two part question. 1. Do NPC guards come in different archtypes that mirror player archtypes? 2. If so, do those Archtypes have a different appearance?

I'm already quite sure, that there will be different "types" of guards, that carry various weapons and do different attacks. Whether they reflect the archtypes in the game. Is not known publicly at least.

We do know NPC will have a wide and diverse selection of appearances already, utilizing cosmetics from monthly packs. As well, Intrepid has even shown in game NPC guard armor, made specifically for a lore NPC military unit, that can be earned by the player.

tl;dr: very likely NPC guards will have different archtype & appearance.

I submitted a question... let's see what will happen.

I hope we get more infos next stream 😃