Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Does anyone else feel like Steven Sharif would make for a good Joe Rogan Experience?

Yours truly knows that - in attempts to stay current and relevant - Joe Rogan's been host to some to some controversial characters. He's overall a good and reasonable guy, though! Many of his JRE podcasts feature ground-breaking or tradition-departing ideas, and Steven Sharif's vision for AoC certainly fits the latter within the MMO world - again, one of Joe's interests. In addition? Many of his interviews have a mega-amount of views/exposure.

As a YouTube watcher of his time-segmented clips, I'm not sure how or if JRE accepts interview-suggestions - but if anyone of you knows? Much appreciated, if you could get the suggestion of an interview with Steven to Joe Rogan or his JRE crew.

Comments

• Pitch your video game idea to the person that thinks "Gaming is a waste of time" and "Gaming is a societal problem" with hundreds of thousands of people watching.

Outstanding idea.
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I have listened to JRE for years. One thing I have noticed is that when he has conversations with people and the topic of games come up. All he talks about is how easy it is for him to get addicted to quake and pool. He demonstrates a very poor understanding of modern games, especially PC games. Sometimes he seems overly impressed by the more minor things that have been around for years. Other times the most incredible things don't impress him at all.

The most recent ep with Elon Musk as the guest. Joe did not know that the rockets land the way they do, but when shown a video he did not seem to be super impressed. He tends to be more impressed by how many tigers are in Texas. I say all of this to say that Joe would not really understand the significance of Ashes the way we do as MMO players, and thus would not stay on the topic for very long.

I am not saying I would not listen to the ep if Steven was on JRE. I am just saying that I don't see the conversation being as good as a conversation with any random MMO twitch streamer. The reach of JRE would certainly help Ashes sale subs just like the lazy peon video did. Not saying it is a bad idea, for a episode. Just saying that I don't think Joe would get the most out of Steven. Maybe Steven could keep Joe on track though?
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • No thank you.
  • Warth wrote: »
    Pitch your video game idea to the person that thinks "Gaming is a waste of time" and "Gaming is a societal problem" with hundreds of thousands of people watching.

Outstanding idea.

He said those things in reference to himself. He was getting too addicted to gaming so he decided to stop.

I would love to see an interview between the two.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Lore DynamicLore Dynamic Member
    edited February 2021
    Vhaeyne wrote: »
    Maybe Steven could keep Joe on track though?

Maybe if Steven told Joe about how many Tigers are in Ashes of Creation?

Steven Sharif is my James Halliday (Anorak)

Lore-Banner-Ao-C.png

“That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.”

-HPL
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I like JRE.

Just don't think the conversation would be as productive as you would think.
    Using Steven's time to talk to potential customers vs just everyone would be better. Targeted marketing being what it is.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • No. The values just don't align. I'd rather listen to an interview hosted by passionate gamers. The thought of Joe trying to interview the face of a game dev studio just sounds awkward.
  • For sure, i like that ideia
  • VhaeyneVhaeyne Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hellfar wrote: »
    No. The values just don't align. I'd rather listen to an interview hosted by passionate gamers. The thought of Joe trying to interview the face of a game dev studio just sounds awkward.

Joe had both John Carmack and CliffyB on over the years. It has been a while since I listed to those episodes, but I do remember it sounding a little awkward. If joe is/was any type of gamer he is a FPS gamer. If he could not make conversations with FPS guys feel very natural. I fear what it would be like for him to talk to a MMO guy.

I have also noticed that some of the less interesting conversations for him don't last as long. He once had a dominatrix on. I don't think that conversation lasted more than a hour. He just did not have much he wanted to talk about with her. The key thing to remember is that joe is less of a interviewer and more of a guy that likes to have conversations with interesting people. When he don't find the conversation interesting it tends to be slower and shorter. I would hate for Steven to be in the less than a hour club.
    TVMenSP.png
    If I had more time, I would write a shorter post.
  • ShoelidShoelid Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think that if Ashes blows up into a massive cultural phenomenon, then it could be a conversation that Joe would be interested in. He understands the draw of video games, but doesn't have a very modern understanding of them. I don't think he would appreciate the future possibilities the game provides, but might get a kick out player politics/community stories-- things that have already happened.
  • jackalopejanejackalopejane Member
    edited February 2021
    Maybe after it's release to garner attention from gamers who aren't already on the MMO scene, yeah. Right now though, AOC just needs to target already established gaming centric streams and the MMO community as a whole, which the JRE just doesn't offer.

Edit: could you imagine a bunch of Call of Duty fans who have never branched from anything else trying this for their first MMO based only off information that was given during the production of the game instead of the final product? Oof. We need to stick to people who understand MMOs and have a healthy expectation of what is to come right now. Hype that gets out of hand can really damage a game's reputation upon release.
  • Love JRE, but I don't know if all this fits very well..
  • Maybe after it's release to garner attention from gamers who aren't already on the MMO scene, yeah. Right now though, AOC just needs to target already established gaming centric streams and the MMO community as a whole, which the JRE just doesn't offer.

Edit: could you imagine a bunch of Call of Duty fans who have never branched from anything else trying this for their first MMO based only off information that was given during the production of the game instead of the final product? Oof. We need to stick to people who understand MMOs and have a healthy expectation of what is to come right now. Hype that gets out of hand can really damage a game's reputation upon release.

I am completely new to MMOs, I've only played FPS, albeit I love D&D and world creation and I see MMOs as an extension of that. But I love being on this ride during its development, it helps me better understand what an MMO is and how people enjoy to play them. I agree that if people come in expecting too much because of lack of knowledge that may be bad, but some people, if interested, will do the right research and become a valued member of the forums :)